Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, August 23, 2018

August 23, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: August 23, 2017, military accidents explained.
Five years ago today: August 23, 2013, musta been battery-fest.
Nine years ago today: August 23, 2009, my Canadian tax course.
Random years ago today: August 23, 2006, I was in deep recovery.

           Who recognizes this building? Damn, you must be getting old. It is my old shop in Hollywood. Ha, that idiot landlady who tried to more than triple our rent still hasn’t found new tenants. You can’t see it, but she is still hawking real estate out of the middle unit. That’s the one who didn’t listen to her husband saying not to hypothecate this building. As soon as he died, she mortgaged it to the hilt and bought beachfront property just before the crash. A year later, she used the CAM clause (an old Florida trick) to crank the rent from $800 per month to $3,000. By then, I was the only one making any money, so we pulled the pin. My partner had been there nearly 20 years. I doubt she’s sold a thing.
           Another high speed into Miami and back, it has become routine. And, in the car, it is also boring. Remind me to get more audio tapes. We are now set until end of the year, I will have to make three more trips, all related to medical. For the record, my results were spectacular considering the first time I was even in a hospital in my adult life was 14 years 8 months ago. And I almost went out by the back door. People, start getting damn careful about what you eat. Nothing by Monsanto, nothing by Cargill, and no corn bi-products. Memorize the seven or eight different names they call that junk and learn to read every label. If you see the word “modified” or “fructose”, back on the shelf it goes. No exceptions. Now, where were we?
           That’s easy, we are broke, at least for the next eight days. Three trips to Miami this month and related expenses came to about the same as last time that happened. $196.46, though most of it except the gas was avoidable. But I don’t travel austerely unless I have to. The camper? That’s luxury. I had planned on a jaunt over this weekend, however I did not have time to make the required modifications, and the new marine battery is going to eat up even my reserves.

           [Author’s note: careful of my terminology. Just as I have eight definitions of retirement, I have different categories of reserves. In this instance I am referring to my monthly discretionary funds. There is still unspent money for groceries, entertainment, and such. But once again, gasoline is through the roof. From 1,582 extra miles on the car this month.
           Yeah, yeah, I know, some people hate that must-be-nice term “unspent money”, but hey. I worked hard and stuck to my guns when I was their age, while they laughed that I wasn’t enjoying life. Not that I ever did enjoy what life has handed me. Yeah, well who is going to wind up looking for a job at the Piggly Wiggly so they can steal the cat food instead of buy it for dinner? And for the ones who laughed hardest at me, tell them the store manager knows they’re pilfering but can’t bring himself to fire such pathetic losers. From me? No mercy. I’ve had to sleep on park benches and under bridges to pay taxes so they could give it away to their pet causes.]


           Now, where were we? Oh yes, travel. I won’t do the usual chrono description of this jaunt because the trip without the motorcycle is wearisome. But my bi-annual checkup confirms my general feeling of not just better, but great health. See addendum. Here’s a cute photo of the camper shoe and laundry box. Five layers of combo paint and primer, and the hardware mounted. You are familiar with this color. And it is done right, with minimum 18 hours of drying time indoors between coats. Now, if I could just get motivated to paint the doorstep it is sitting on. This will be bolted to the side of the camper with not less than six heavy duty brackets.
           I had the option to crash in Miami, but opted to head back even if that entailed driving after dark. I required the time to think. Here is the plan and it is only a plan. It has been two years that I’ve been auditioning guitarists in Polk Country, and I’ve concluded the musician’s pool has no deep end. I have a choice to continue with this futility or go make a fool of myself as a bass soloist. I was planning how best to make myself the fool. Hey, it worked for Richard Gere. First, I booked myself on next Thursday at the club on Hwy 17. I have three sets chosen that I’m strong with. Building on my experience soloing at the bicycle shop in Ft. Lauderdale, I can start each set with a strum, then make a Hippie-esque claim that somebody requested I do a tune that only I can play. And grab the bass.

           Are you with me here? Auditioning the 20 failed guitarists has expanded my long list to 60 tunes. I can solo and sing that many if I have to, but I’d rather pick the known crowd-pleasers. I get away with it because they’ve never heard this type of bass solo before. Advertising for a guitar player does not work; they overestimate their ability. Thus, I’m after exposure to a different class of guitarist, the one who hears me and wants in. This does not work as well as people say, but do I have any cards left to play?
           Then, next Tuesday, two days ahead of the gig, I go up to Boss Hogg’s radio station, 37 miles from here. We’ve talked about him covering my gigs before, but he’s not sure about this bass solo thing and has never showed. However, he’s got this new disk jockey in training who kind of plays guitar, and Boss gets him to strum a tune or two live, which you can tell the new guy isn’t gung-ho about. That, to me, is like holding the door wide open. So I may be on the radio next Tuesday, and darn rights I’ll mention the Thursday show. And that I’m after a guitarist. Think of it as covering two bases. I get the “paid to practice” situation bands love to talk about, and my mode of auditioning goes live. Because I’m sick and tired of rehearsing on my own time with people who take a powder on me.

           What is this green bar in the picture? I don’t know. It was on the curb attached to a 2x4. I grabbed it, and got it home. Then it dawned on me what it was for. Remember those two millennials that blocked me in at Bayonet Point? Well, this bar is my new trailer reverse gear. I mount it kind of like a rear bumper. It is really solid metal. The true purpose is to have a grip where I can physically pick up the whole trailer and position it without having to back it up with the hitch. The trailer weights 444 pounds, but I can pick it up just high enough myself to skid the tires into place.

Picture of the day.
Lithuanian long hair contest.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here’s a montage of the newest addition to the fleet. It’s only a 50cc, but it is a Yamaha. This is the new transportation for Agt. R, who has taken the lesson watching me use the red scooter for day-to-day commutes. It outclasses my unit, but I’ll stick with my 150cc. When it was new, I drove it from Miami to St. Augustine, where this new unit maxes out at 37 mph. It makes the blog because it is a solid reflection that in just four days (August 28) I will have been in complete control of all finances for one year. The change is dazzling to onlookers; most of the town is aware of what happened. And we have not even opened for business yet.


           Speaking of business, the burners are slated to arrive tomorrow. In the end, except for the insurance (which I’m working on) the cost of doing things by the book has been only some $830. That’s the differential, some of the other money spent was on improvements. I got flak, sure, but now the value is showing through. Opening day is already completely financed internally, we have 8 confirmed events per month, and everybody can sleep nights. That, FYI, represents a vast improvement over the way they ran things before I arrived on the scene.
           It proved impossible to keep my involvement private. Everybody knows Agt. R. Yeah, and he got another lesson, how every last one of them stood there watching his situation deteriorate. We’ve heard their tale from the trailer court, how they all had problems of their own. Listen, it never cost me a cent to step in and help what was virtually a complete stranger. I know they to a one lacked the sophistication, but they could have provided moral support. You remember those early days, how it must have looked with me prancing around giving orders, do this, do that, do as I say, and sign here. But times were desperate. And god damn, I made believers out of them.
           Are you listening, Patsie? Theresa?

ADDENDUM
           I’ve quit mentioning my weight loss because there hasn’t been any since May 22. Instead, my curious physiology is at work again, where I’ve lost inches. When both my lady doctor and her assistant gasped when I walk in the room and the gals at the Hallandale Starbucks give me the look, it makes my day. I’ve dieted before and it always came back, but this time I held the line. So you’ll be reminded, I did require help from a diet pill and I only did that as a last resort. I have a revulsion to taking chemicals instead of addressing an underlying problem. That goes for people who do it all the time, too.
           I always was a trim type and I am still 44 pounds overweight. So I am not, repeat not, saying I’m now a hunk. I am saying the inches lost came off the right places and while I’m no athletic type, most men my age do not have a good shape. A ll it is for now is shape. And that’s why I’m targeting those 44 pounds. My doctor hesitates with the pills, two months on and two months off, with constant mandatory blood tests. Last week I caught myself running up a flight of stairs. This was unthinkable not so long ago. My position is that if it works, the health benefits far outweigh any exceedingly slim chance of me become addicted to anything.
           Except coffee, I mean. I’m addicted to coffee. And reading. Okay, throw in music and women. Slim, firm-feelin’ women. Who the hell back there yelled, “And hotdogs?” Get outta here!

           And I know somebody by now has asked what this picture is all about. It’s my today’s stab at humor. Get it? Are you ready? Scale for banana.

           You should have seen that one coming.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++