Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

September 11, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 11, 2017, quite the storm.
Five years ago today: September 11, 2013, millennial packaging.
Nine years ago today: September 11, 2009, harder than Chinese arithmetic?
Random years ago today: September 11, 2006,mostly computer & camera stuff.

           First off, you get this wonderful picture of testing another umbrella. Agt. R does not like the original that came with the cart. It’s somehow a little to colorful, but I could care less about that. It’s a movie still, so don’t expect any Kodak moments. I’ve scheduled a full dress rehearsal tomorrow, which caused some dissention in the ranks. Hey, if you include my paper route, I’ve got over 50 years experience running a business and to my dismay, have recently discovered my associate has zero experience at it. Worse, I will be looking for the things that go wrong.

           Kiss the Internet as you knew it good-bye. Recent developments in Europe and pending US legislation will give almost any illiterate group or individual a Craigslist-like flagging capability. The American law is particularly one-sided, in that they don’t have to tell you who shut down your site. You can contest the matter, but if you lose you can be liable for damages. The laws are being gift-wrapped as protection from hate and enforcement of copyright, but if strictly applied, they could affect all but a rare few websites and blogs.
           That includes this blog because I am anti-immigration, anti-refugee, and anti-welfare. It empowers and encourages those groups to pretend to interpret anything I say as hate. Also, I find a daily Last Laugh picture off the Internet which I usually have no idea if it is copyrighted. My only defense is that my usage does not direct any money from the owner. The picture of the day is not affected because I am only pointing at the original. (But what if I accidentally point at a copy?) If the “hate law” happens, the ISPs will have one hour to shut down the source. This is prohibition and it doesn’t work. It is an attack on free speech and it makes the government the bad guys. But, anybody who’s kept up with this blog knows this was prophesized here ten years ago, and in writing back in 1991.

           The other side of the coin is this generation had it coming. They have abused the power of the Internet since day one. Millions of sites are nothing but plagiarized material. Copyright infringement is one of least harmful antics they’ve been up to. Almost every site you pull up contains some type of scam or false claim. Fake advertising, click-bait, tracking cookies, hackable databases, spam, these millennials have a lot to answer for. It wasn’t their parents that invented keyloggers, is what I’m saying.
           Ha, and did you see the stats on the facial recognition software they are using at airports? It identifies six times as many blacks as criminals, including I think they said a couple of congressmen. That could just mean the software knows something we don’t, but the point is, even should this be the case, whose fault is that? Does it mean the software should be modified to favor blacks? How effective was it at spotting real criminals? Could it be that profiling works? And have I just created some hate speech by asking the wrong questions?

           [Author’s note: on the other hand, if you read the Digitial copyright language literally, it should be possible to trademark your own name. Then everyone who uses it would have to pay you for a license. This could be the answer to junk mail we've all been looking for.]

Picture of the day.
Tupolev model 85.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The majority of business and shopping takes place over in Winter Haven, so that was the natural place for me to spend the afternoon. I got in some library research and I’m not sure that the people involved with this new business are all that clear about the massive chances for failure that exist. I’ve done what I can from a management standpoint to ensure success, but there is more than one connotation of success. To some, the mere survival of the cart to produce a few dollars is enough. To me it is finding the situation where the cart can maximize the return, including paying for itself and creating its own expansion should that prove viable. Growth out of earnings.
           Here’s a shot of the simple sidewalk sign. The usual, an A frame with the arrow on the other side pointing the other direction. Yes, the lettering is built up from pieces I had left over from my old Internet computer operation. That was at the location pictured here last month that showed once Fred & I left, the building has basically been vacant since. Banana for scale.

           Agt. R is gung-ho about the location and is wants to open first time right there. My approach would be more cautious; I would run the cart for a few days at some obscure place to gain experience. While anybody could probably sell hot dogs, I’m just not keen on doing it the first time at the place you intend to become a prime location. I’m already calling it the anchor, but even the difference in vocabulary at the staff management level shows that I considerably overestimated the experience being brought to the table. At the same time, that situation was a result of what I had been informed of.
           So, drop back tomorrow and see what happens. I’ve scheduled a full rehearsal and you can have all the free hot dogs that you want. Commencing one half hour before dark. And watch for the hilarity now that I know I probably have more hands-on experience than the rest of the crew combined. I never intended to operate the cart myself, but only to learn how to operate it. It should be quite a show, don’t miss it.

ADDENDUM
           During my daily reading I came across a chapter on slave law. No, not American slaves, but the societies through history that generally had slavery as part of their labor forces. Oddly, except for Rome, hardly any large political organization had many slaves. Most of the work was still done by free people. And in Rome, slaves worked in gangs on the large agricultural areas with the owners living some distance away in the capital. Thus, even where slavery was common, these places were slave-using, but not slave cultures.
           These laws will take some time to go over, but initially they detail the different ways a person could become a slave. I presumed it was primarily captives but in some instances the majority of slaves were criminals being punished. Parents could sell children into slavery, and it was possible to sell oneself into temporary slavery to pay a debt. This was apparently an option for skilled tradespeople so it was not just manual labor and drudgery. As I read I found myself wondering how many of my coworkers at the corporation had similar reasons for being there.

           One aspect of the situation that American history books never present is that slaves are property, in some cases valuable property, and are thus not routinely maltreated. There is no mention of slaves ever starving to death or dying in epidemics that did not affect the whole population. I’ll report back to you if I find anything surprising but so far it’s all routine, what you’d call property law. If your parents are slaves, you are a slave.
          There were also extensive laws about sex with slaves, indicating it must have happened a lot. Penalties ranged from lashing to death, and almost always in the case of women meant loss of property and banishment. For men, castration. The laws varied between the European states and in some, a man could marry a slave girl, but first he had to declare her to be free. There would be an interval between that declaration and the ceremony, so I wonder how many times the broad bolted. Also, an important distinction here is that the slavery to which these laws apply was not directed at a different race.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++