Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, September 11, 2017

September 11, 2017

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 11, 2016, terrible 9/11 joke.
Five years ago today: September 11, 2012, finding JB Sanders.
Nine years ago today: September 11, 2008, government-operated . . .
Random years ago today: September 11, 2009, my on-line music database.

           This is the point where the power went out. Four trees south of town tore through the trunk line, ripping the insulators right off the poles. This will be a while before we see any electric. Later, electric is back, here is the full post.
           In the hours before the storm, I ran over my song list to practice my guitar. I’m quickly concluding that the best therapy for my strumming is to get out there. Find a venue and use it to get my act together. As I move further into guitar, it is not raising my appreciation for what other guitarists have to go through. I’m recognizing all kinds of plateaus where they gave up and the result is the shows I hear around Florida everywhere I go. How do I know? Because to become a bassist, I had to conquer the same barriers, but I thought they were unique to the bass.
           An example would be how some songs seem to naturally “take” better than others. Ah, but therein lies a major difference. Unlike most guitar players, I don’t presume those tunes represent good taste in music or that my audience wants to hear them. I will admit the tendency to feel that way is more pronounced with the guitar, but that is no excuse around me. The tunes that “take” with me are the old smoothies, like “You Are My Sunshine” and “Pretty Red Wing”. But do you see me playing those every show? That’s what I’m talking about.
           Other examples are “The Perfect C&W Song” and “If That Ain’t Country”, but I’m tinkering with turning those into a medley for occasions where the crowd gets fired up. For now, find me a sidewalk cafĂ© that lets me play acoustic on Fridays, I’m even considering the Magnolia for tips only. But that place has a clientele that lops off half my repertoire because I don’t dare sing those lyrics in front of kids and bible-thumpers. That is not the place to play “Cocaine Blues” or the Mary-Jane song, Glen.

           9:17PM first gusts of wind, more rain. Power goes out for 45 seconds.
           9:23PM wind picks up from NE, strong gusts but still normal.
           10:21PM power goes out big time, stronger gusts but nothing really bad.
           3:59AM power still out, propane light only, some wind, no rain, no lightning
           5:55AM awake, but no wind, I slept right through the storm
           7:02AM outside taking pictures to the distant purr of chainsaws.

Picture of the day.
Namibia.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Talk about luck. Every place around except my place and Howard’s mother got walloped. Hundred year old trees plucked out of the ground and thrown onto the roadways. My neighbor to the SW has no metal roof. It is lying in the vacant lot next door. There were branches and tree fragments all over the road.b The neighbor, the one who parks the big truck on the street, well, his wife pulled the car out of her driveway and promptly snagged a stray branch. Her bumper dragged it up the lane before she caught on. She got out and removed the branch. Then threw it on my side of the street so I could rake it up for her.
           Vivitar again, but a ton of photos I took of all this did not turn out. I know, it is amazing how these millennials design a camera that can even to that. That’s the same bunch that designed those car locks that snap shut with your keys in the ignition, but that will not lock the doors while you are inside the car. That’s the same bunch that are always crying they don’t get enough sympathy and respect. Later, on of them came by, and seeing I was walking to a particular spot to take a picture, she pulled here white van right there and stopped. She stayed parked while I tried to wait her out, but finally had to walk away. She was offended. I think her play was to force me to ask her to get the hell out of my way.


           All around my place, trees are down and the roads are flooded.

Quote of the Day:
“During the Civil War, my family
fought for the West.”
Various

ADDENDUM
           Hmmm, my comments show interest in my observations on Assembler computer code. I can’t teach a course on it, but I was going to continue describing how it works anyway. Inside the CPU there are eight special memory locations. They are called registers. There can be more but there are always at least eight. I don’t understand the theory, but eight minimum are needed to perform the array of commands the CPU is capable of at this level. Since it is CPU, it is RAM and exists only while the computer is running. The registers lose their memory if the power is interrupted.
           There is no mystery to computers. Everything that happens involves three things: moving data to a register, moving data from a register, or moving data between registers. That’s it. There is one register that is more important that the rest, it is the “Accumulator”. Hark back to y’day when I mentioned that the computer is just a very rapid adding machine. All other math operations are nothing more than addition in some form. I also pointed out that multiplying a binary number by two had the effect of changing all the ones and zeros to their opposite.

           That’s important, because computers don’t really do math in a traditional sense. Instead, they apply pattern changes to whatever is in the accumulator. While there are many op-codes, only around seven of them get used much. And you’ve seen some of these patterns if you’ve ever looked at truth tables. You recall the NOR table and the NAND table. You may recall I use the XOR [for exclusive OR] at times when building logic gates. The commands cause computer switches to “flip-flop” the bits in the accumulator according to truth tables until some destination is reached. The other registers are like tech support.
           Most of the op-codes have mnemonic names, like DCR for decrement register and NOP for no operation. This makes programming at the machine level a lot friendlier, but heed my warning that no two CPU makes or models are likely to share the same command names. The above explanation is far from scientifically correct, but is presented a way of looking at what the computer is really doing. If the hurricane lasts long enough, I may learn some of material myself.

           The airwaves are declaring the hurricane over. It was a category 1 according to the radio, but folks on the ground say it was category 2. Still, it completely removed anything that didn’t belong and did a fine job of pruning my camphor trees. The radio here is the one built into my Tailgater bass amp with the 18 hour battery. Talk about a clear, rich sound. Witnessing how nearly this cat 1 storm pushed the landscaping around, I suspect a cat 3 might put this area out of business. The reason for low casualties was, I think, because 6 million people evacuated.
           I conducted some experiments with the weather situation as it affects my renovations. One thing I found is that the insulation does not really slow down the rate of heat transfer between my wall and the outside. For this reason, when the A/C ceasing running, the room is stifling hot within the half-hour. Where it saves is the A/C can be run at a lower setting and keep thing cool. One rumor says the electric will be out ten days. I practiced my acoustic sets. Another picture that didn’t take was all the Mitchfruit fell. It was not ripe enough to eat.


Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++