Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, September 20, 2018

September 19, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 19, 2017, $200 per month, ha-ha!
Five years ago today: September 19, 2013, pronounced "daw-brush".
Nine years ago today: September 19, 2009, the Crest challenge?
Random years ago today: September 19, 2006, an endless, mindless stream.

           Nothing. It’s one of those days that nothing happened. I built a shelf to get most of my books in one place. Does that count? I taped and painted the canopy and ran some wiring. I searched for the missing transformer for my drum box. Who makes a drum box with a 9V AC power supply, anyway. And if they do, the transformer should be built it. And I almost bought this new shirt. Until I saw the price tag. Who would pay $61 for a shirt made in Bangladesh. Isn’t that like three months salary over there?
           The background DVD was “Napoleon Dynamite”, a spoof on teenage awkwardness. It isn’t a laugh for those who went through it, but that’s their problem. I was never an awkward teen. But the first time I was really on stage, I didn’t like it. We had just moved to yet another small town and I didn’t know any of the kids in the classroom yet. One of them “volunteered” me to emcee the school Xmas party. I didn’t want to.

           Mind you, within the upcoming year, that all changed. No, it was not a case of me deciding to get over a case of stage fright or anything like that. Put simply, that was the year I figured out girls liked guys in a band. Groupies. The major problem was that where we lived, there was not a band to join up with for 300 miles. You know that tale from the trailer court—there wasn’t even anybody you could ask. Well, that’s wrong. You could have asked anybody and got all the bullshit you could ever imagine. It was just another idea that would slip away, but then, the Campbell brothers moved to town from the big city. That was a break, except neither of them had ever touched a musical instrument.
           Actually, that was the first of two lucky breaks. They were not only city kids, but once they started to learn music, their parents threw in behind them 100%. Supportive family. It was just not something I recognized on sight.

Picture of the day.
In the Balkans.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I had a hard time working with the metal for the heat shield. I used what flashing I could find at the local hardware, and it is heavier gauge than the instruction video. You need one of those jigs to crimp it and I was in a hurry. That was my afternoon. Except for the paperwork. And practicing the bass. And an hour’s reading. And spraying weed killer. And feeding the birds. Other than that kind of things, it was a nothing day.
           Wait. I have some trivia for you. Whenever you drive, a tiny layer of rubber peels off your tires and stays on the road. It’s so thin it is invisible, but when you add up the number of cars, it leaves nearly a hundred thousand tons of rubber on the pavement every year. So what happens to it all? Rubber is, after all, tree sap and there are billions of bacteria that feast on it.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++