Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, November 19, 2018

November 19, 2018


Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 19, 2017, not a big hoo-rah.
Five years ago today: November 19, 2013, at the Blues Box.
Nine years ago today: November 19, 2009, useless medical practices.
Random years ago today: November 19, 2006, I try NyQuil.

           Across the Mojave, my first time by car. An hour into the journey, an engine warning light comes on. Smarter than to press on through the desert, I backtracked to the nearest services, a Love's Truck Stop. Kudos to them, busy as they were, they took time to check things out and in the process, filled my tires, checked the oil, and water tank. That has got to be flushed as soon as I get home. However, the nights have been bitter cold since St. Louis on the outbound. I'm not draining any fluids this far from home. Here is the sun peeking over the hills, I'd put this around 7:00AM local time. Don't let the sunlight and desert mislead things, my windows would barely stay defogged.
           The Love's sent me to an AutoZone, where the guys ran the diagnostic and a transmission sensor is saying something is haywire. So the AutoZone sent me to a transmission place, who quickly it was a low on fluid. The guy had it filled in no time and I was back on the road by 11-ish. The Mojave is great settings for documentaries. Otherwise it's as boring a drive as any other desert. It's still the best passage for motorycles. This is the same route I took by sidecar five years ago.

Picture of the day.
Explorer 1.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Since Nashville is a three day drive minimum, I had a few extra hours and thought to go down the old Route 66 east of Barstow. Not to be confused with the Bartow in Florida.They have a trrain depot set up with a few old dining cars. That got me in for a noon coffee and a chance to write six postcards. So to al the people who I don't have your address, here is a picture of a postcard. If you are really nice, maybe I'll send you a picture of some money. I paused to make a short video of the side trip, and it was shorter than my planned distance of 66 miles. Turns out they are repairing some sections. I had planned to make this trip by motorcycle when I was 15 years old. I never made it, the world was quick to show me what it thought of me, a poor man and son of a poor man. To my overseas readers, make no mistake about it, money in America is only one factor.
           I would still have had a tough go of things if I'd gotten a degree by age 21, the average in America. That is correct. In my day the average housewife had a college degree.
           The wind farms are growing. I passed them as far as the eye could see on the higher ridges. I can't be the only one who notices an inordinate number of them don't seem to be working at a given time. Where did I see my first wind farm? It was not that long ago. My guess is just east of Wichita Falls. This blog has a new search feature I've not tried, but I was in Wichata Falls five years ago. I saw a tractor trailer hauling one of the blades down the highway and didn't know what it was. It was on this trip I paid for the most expensive gas yet. If I didn't already say, it took $60 to almost tank up in Ludlow, at the west entrance to Route 66. Most of the way was more traveller-friendly, with prices around the $2.50 region.


ADDENDUM
           The road must have been quite the adventure in its day. I passed abandoned buildings at the west entrance. I saw on the map it was the east side that had all the small towns. Alas, the road was blocked for repairs and after 33 miles, or about half way, I had to get back on I-40. I thought about driving back west from the other end, but other pressing matters didn't leave me that option. I do not care for the cold, either. When I dumped the wagon, I just threw everything in the car. That includes the memory foam mattress and sleeping bag. The radio said 28ºF but the perception was much lower. I had to sleep with the covers pulled over my head to create a pocket of warmth. I emphasize again that I do not consider breakdowns and bad weather to be problems, but as adventures. It's just that I could have had many better adventures with the extra $1,000 this trip has cost. The thermostat, the motel, and the delay, just about that amount.
           Fact is, I'm feeling the pinch and I'll be gliding back into Lakeland on fumes. I'm not taking a direct route home either, so the attempted jaunt down Rt. 66 was the highlight of the Great Trek West of 2018. I should break down and get myself a panel van for really long-distance travel. I've clocked 5,600 on this one, only to notice this afternoon that my speedometer isn't working. Did the shop in Cheyenne. By the way, allow me to extend extra thanks to Christopher, the owner of Affordable Automotive in Cheyenne. I know he gave me a break or two on the parts and labor. My car was blocking his bay for two days.

           As the day brightened up I got some real 75 mph travel done, enough to bring the overal rate for the entire trip up to 56 mph. We'll have in excess of 7,000 logged on this journey. Including the $1,000 emergency repair, the cost of the trip is $2,300. Of that, $1,184 was gasoline. The other costs of this trip, since I stuck to my diet, were mostly food. I took all else with me, including postcard stamps. For many, this trip would be the adventure of a lifetime, but it's just not as much fun any more. It's not something I can define, rather a general recognition that the pundits who say working your whole life is dumb, because you are old at what should be the most enjoyable portion. Well, unless you were born rich, would they tell me just how porr people are supposed to accomplish this? There's not one of us who would rather have back-packed around Europe rather than going to work in a lumber mill at 19 years old.
           But I'm not done yet. If a few items fall into place, just maybe I will be more akin to spending more money on comfortable travel. I've sent feelers out to people I know who have panel vans and the reply is consistent. A good used delivery van, although they also write these items are in demand, so expect to pay a premium.

Last Laugh