Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, November 25, 2018

November 25, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 25, 2017, day of the plumber.
Five years ago today: November 25, 2013, because of no women?
Nine years ago today: November 25, 2009, looking ahead for 2010.
Random years ago today: November 25, 1984, day 48.

           Lose the morning unloading stuff from the car and unsuccessfully searching for the missing micro-card. It sprang out of the package as I tried to open it in a parking lot at some Wal*mart out west. That’s $14 down the drain. Of course, it fell between the seats somewhere. A better accounting says this trip cost $2,650.87 including bank fees of $52.60 for twelve withdrawals and one emergency gas purchase as described herein. Where herein is up to you. This work has no index. Yet.
           It was recovery mode all morning, the Internet service was spotty. The problem with the Sony camcorder is maddening. It will play the movies but does not show the files when cabled to any of my computers. I began warning about this problem, Sony proprietory file systems, as early as 1989. They call it the same name, but it cannot be read by Windows op-sys. I will try to play the files to a recorder, but that’s an investment in cables. After a while, the camera stops reading the card altogether.

           Also, the 32gig cards are going on sale half-price. I think we know the reason this camera went on sale. There won’t be too much going on for a few weeks, so expect some pics from the trip as I comb through them for what is blogworthy. For instance, here is the photo that made my decision to take the thwarted side-trip down Route 66. Barstow is the only place along this trek that I stopped to mail postcards. It never got warm on this trip until I got deep into Florida. Now I hear on the news I cleared out of the north country just in time. Careful, I might start thinking I’m getting a break or something.
           Back in Florida, I don’t think the next while will be all that exciting. Stick with me as I continue with the renovations and check out the new guitar player. That’s the guy who rejected my concept at first, but can to his sense. He is now gung ho to get up and running, he arrives December 3. If, in fact, he can do the tunes we’ve picked to any degree of satisfaction, he doesn’t know he’ll be walking into a working situation. I had the impression we would rehearse at his place, but apparently he lives the winters in some kind of old folk’s condo situation. If you are nice I’ll get you his song list with the keys. For clarity, his song list means the ones he claims to play that I already know.

           Wrapping up the morning, the conclusion about this trip to Washington, compared to motorcycle travel, it was really not that much more expensive. Around 15% more, not including the emergency repair. And I lost over ten pounds. That’s why you might see a repeat pic of a full meal for me. The crispy green beans. This is the store I found when the GPS led me astray. Oddly, at Thanksgiving dinner, my friend mentioned her gift was from this store and people recognized the brand as mail order.
           Ah, so that is why, if you read back, I wondered why the shelves were mostly bare, they had no soda, and the guy didn’t have change for a twenty.

Picture of the day.
Downtown Minneapolis.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Looking again at rehearsing here (the guy says he has no trouble driving to my place), I have a day’s work to make ready. It would be nice to not miss another Xmas and New Year’s, every musician’s big deal if you can get it. Myself, I have not had any actual midnighters in years, but I have frequently played on New Year’s Eve at cafés and coffee houses. That was prior to 2005, so there’s your proof time flies whether you are having fun or not. I’m going to need a better budget for materials, being that (if I didn’t mention it) the $3,000 accounting error discovered back west was not in my favor. It’s not that bad, I kind of knew something was wrong at around that level, so I left it alone.


           Now we get back to work. The cart is ready, we only need the event. Everything is as I left it, even what I forgot to throw out of the fridge. Here is a snap of a typical Texas farm on the panhandle. The trees tell you it is winter but no snow on the ground yet. Do not mistake this real farm as representative of the one I grew up on. The first giveaway is that these buildings have been recently planted.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++