Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, November 3, 2018

November 3, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 3, 2017, robots: $13.65 per hour.
Five years ago today: November 3, 2013, on the salt flats.
Nine years ago today: November 3, 2009, oh, about a week.
Random years ago today: November 3, 2008, remember FinePrint 2000?

           It’s lard. A hi-def picture of a tub of lard. Get what you can out of it, that was the high point of the day. Let’s recap the entire dawn to dusk. I was at the library. Then I removed the GPS mount. And redesigned it. Then stayed home. I should be out, it is a Saturday, but I’d be in the audience. Nor is it like there is anyplace to go off tourist season. I decided to test as many features as possible on the Sony camcorder, since the web site is useless, again. As it played out, I chose four pounds of lard to be the guinea pig. It’s pretty inert stuff so from the lard’s point of view, this could be a real escapade.
           The GPS mount was an empirical design, I started cuttin wood to see what fit. Nothing. There was a problem with each position. The first one chosen caused my fingers to bash into the frame with shifting to park. The left side meant stringing the power cable over or under the steering column, both unacceptable. As mentioned, the internal battery is a joke and it tangled almost everywhere I tried. This kept me occupied when I should have been under the house again.

           After 19 years in Florida and another 20 on the west coast, I’m woefully equipped for any winter activity. I have a couple warn jackets for motorcycling, but only one long sleeved shirt. No thermal undergarments, no gloves or mitts, no scarves or earmuffs. I only want to look at snow a bit, to remind me why I dislike it so. Not the light and fluffy Xmas snow, I mean the frozen ice crystals that blast like sanding grit across the bleak prairies. The last time I saw that was 1978 and good riddance. Believe me. Even the motorcycle trek of 2013 was on the edge of winter and I kept mostly away from freezing temperatures. There is that shot of me having to free the clutch with a hammer near Winnemucca, but adventure doesn’t arrived gift-wrapped.
           I awoke this morning with my spider sense tingling head to toe. I’m not superstitious nor psychic, but I’ve only been wrong a couple of times when this happened. And I wasn’t wrong by much. Think of this as a flag for major incoming news, always involving a former acquaintance, and usually bad news. No premonitions of death yet but at my age, don’t rule it out. It can be life-changing, so who is it this time?

Picture of the day.
The Great Storm of 1987.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here’s that one color picture mode mentioned y’day. I chose the first color on the list, red. This is a lively picture, with lots of blue, brown, and yellow. See how it ignores all but the red. The shelf at upper right is varnished dark brown, but this reveals at least some red to the product. At lower right is one of those orange three prong adaptors. As foretold, the Sony MP4 and HD output format will not work with other editing software. Even if you convert the MP4s to avi, Movie Maker does not recognize the format. Sony is downright evil for this type of sting.
[Photo delayed]
           There is a website, but the downloaded file will not install on a 32 bit computer, another asinine Sony burn. The website does not give any examples or tutorials, so you can’t tell if it is even worth downloading. It does try to sucker you into storing video files on the cloud. But ain’t nobody around here even close to that stupid. I finished the spy book and kind of figured out what I didn’t like. It reminded me of the books written in weekly installments at that book club I attending a while. You know, 90% women and romantic fiction, the other 10% blacks on about slavery some 150 years ago. So I read the end credits and sure enough, the author belongs to some Canadian writer’s guild. I’m not saying that’s it, but it sure makes sense.

           Ahem, is everyone paying attention to the new Bill in the House? The one that fines CEOs up to $5,000,000 for breaching trust with their client’s data? So the problem is serious enough to put corporate heads in jail, even though corporations are what controls America. All this information has been available in this blog since day one. America has finally woken up to where this blog was 30 years ago. Do not trust strangers with your personal information. They are no qualified to interpret your actions, but they will anyway. And if they happen to be the government, the police, an employer, or just some perverts down the road, it would be entirely your own fault if they have the information. Since this is America, it will exempt information that is already gathered. So for most of the big-mouths with nothing to hide, this is not a fresh start. It is too late for them.
           What’s more, I think the law only applies to willful misuse. If it is hacked or acquired by any other means, well, it is still the fault of whoever gave them the information in the first place. I did a deep search on my particulars. All that is there is information given to open bank accounts and outdated medical files. There is also a phone registered to me near Knoxville. The phone company tells everyone if you have a phone, even if it is unlisted, just not the number.

ADDENDUM
           I read up on biscuit joinery. It was invented by a Swiss guy and uses a special tool with a blade that matches the size of biscuit being used. The biscuit is a piece of beech wood cut and compressed so the grain is at a 45° angle, and will swell up after being glued into place. Great idea, though I’m wary of the need for yet another took that does only one task. And I learned that a ‘yellow admiral’ is not Chinese or chicken, it is a type of forced retirement during peacetime. The promotion to admiral is in name only, since there is no war to fight and no ships for him to command. It is called being ‘yellowed’ and even if war breaks out, seniority doesn’t count.
           Toying with the GPS, I believe I’ve discovered its limits. According to the mileage chart, it would take $1,278 gasoline to drive to, say, Seattle and back. The first time I drove across the continent, it cost me $210 for fuel. I drove from Tukwila, WA to Raleigh, NC in four days once. I have never driven north south anywhere except along the west coast, where the roads actually go directly somewhere.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++