Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

November 7, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 7, 2017, psst, Brad can’t play.
Five years ago today: November 7, 2013, $5 gets you this.
Nine years ago today: November 7, 2009, the 5-oh-5 grad ceremony.
Random years ago today: November 7, 1982, RoR, my Canadian ex-partner.

           I'm on the road, using Windows 10 on a tablet. So no photos and no, I won't put anything on the cloud. I'm dumb but I ain't THAT dumb. And you'll have to wait until I find a library before you get any photos. I lost an hour and a half o n today's travel because GPS is a millennial piece of junk designed by millennials for millenials. Not intuitive at all. I dropped every menu and read the manual twice to find the function that tells how many miles left to the destination. It isn't mentioned, along with other hot spots you find by accident or trial and error. This time I drove around ten minutes to find a parking space I could pull forward out of.
[Photo delayed]
           And it was worth it. The whole cafe is staffed by some of the most gorgeous women I've seen in years. I should have moved another 70 miles further north. I changed my mind, here is a photo of my favorite on-the-road breakfast. Fries, but with biscuit gravy. That was the last pleasant part of the journey north for the day. By the Georgia border, it rained something fierce. I drove through it, but that wasn't a great idea. Parts of the highway were flooding. I stopped in Columbus, settling once and for all it is in Georgia.

           I cut the day's plan short over that incredible storm. My headlights are aimed funny, I've intended to get then set lower. It was a rough final two hours into the Wal*Mart Arms south of town. I consider Jarte to be a substandard product with a long ways to go. The first thing they should do is allow the user to disable I'm still stuck with Jarte. I now pronounce that like Joe Dirt used to say his last name was Dir-TAY. shortcut keys to their likeing. I lost just one to many files when I hit CTRL-something by mistake.

Picture of the day.
Gravity olive oil press.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The blogs for this trip are on tape. You'll have to wait until I cn get to a library. Maybe I won't, I'm runnign a week late. Just be patient and you'll hear about a unique camper trip so far. Example. There are two ways to close the camper window. All the way down until it clicks, and the right way. As I crossed the Georgia border near Bainbridge, I simultaneously hit some of the worst roadways in existence (and I've driven in Thailand and Venezuela), and, at the same time, the worst rainstorm in thirty years. The few paved sections of highway were not yet painted and it was inky black after 7:00. I hit several stretches of standing water and my speed into Cuthbert slowed to 19 mph.
           I've got it all on video. It was eerie during hour-long periods I was the only traffic on the four-lane. That GPS was maddening, though I can easily follow the juvenile logic that went into it. My point is the device is date technology, so all the software should be included and work right. Nope, and the interface is Android grade, constantly doing the wrong thing. Like when you tap on a city, the disply shows coordinates, like W80'59.026", which means nothing to most people, so you click OK. Next thing you know, instead of the city center, it puts you in some flooded out subdivision with emergency vehicles blocking the road.

           When I finally got into Columbus, the bad roads had jarred my marine battery loose and drained acid all over my sleeping bag. Except the parts that got soaked through the window which only pretended to be closed. This was adventure of the highest order. The GPS got me again in Columbus. I knew I was just a few blocks away but it kept telling me turn left. So I did. Next thing I know I'm on a half mile long street paved with cobblestones. Or at least it once was. The camper rattled so bad it took me 17 minutes to drive those few blocks. But I see the millennial logic. You've just got to see the historic district, even if it is at night in a blinding storm pulling a camper.
           That's another thing. I had the heavy batteries clamped down solid. But I did not follow my own advice and place them on the deck. There were on that shelf raised to clear my toes. Solid they were, but the roads were so rough, the batteries ripped loose with the clamps, spilling battery acid on my sleeping bag. However, the acid missed the parts that got soaked from rain seeping in the window.

           I took side roads the entire 488 miles. Columbus, where if you want a beer after a long day, it is a seven mile trip downtown to pubs that have no WiFi. It's either a university or an army town. I always thought it was in Mississippi. As usual, I used the long hours to think, kind of purge the brains cells of the Florida clutter. The good news is I found on the roads that are smooth enough, the camper easily tows at 60 mph. Which is probably against the law. I pulled into the Wal*Mart hotel at 11:35PM, to discover I had forgotten an important piece of gear: earplugs.

ADDENDUM
           Check with me regularly until I get back. I found out after twenty years in the tropics, I'm ill-equipped for even mild cold weather. I own one long-sleeve shirt.

           And that snow-bird guitar player is no better than the others. Writes a great ad, but his priorities about getting the band off the ground show he's just another dumb-feck. More worried about his image than just getting out and playing. I told him what he wants to hear, that he can play anything and I'll "follow". It just means later we'll see how well that works out for him, on stage.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++