Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, January 4, 2019

January 4, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 4, 2018, not my best effort.
Five years ago today: January 4, 2014, all y'need is money.
Nine years ago today: January 4, 2010, MicroSoft & hidden files.
Random years ago today: January 4, 2009, on talent & tips.

           This is the blog that dares. Dares to feature a toilet repair as headliner. That tells you the kind of day it was. But I solved a twenty-year-old mystery. Nobody could find that leak that was attracting the termites. I repaired the roof above the bathroom, and saw the other attempts at repair. When I had that $481 water leak, I had the access hatch open and noticed the dampness was primarily along the tops of the joists. Hmmmm, I knew that didn't make complete sense, water runs downhill, not sideways.
           Here is the combination of factors that allowed me to spot the source. Few older Florida buildings are insulated, hence there is normally an A/C, a heater, or a fan operating. There is also ambient noise to contend with, but I soundproofed. The excellent weather today meant the house was, for once, dead silent. With all these elements combined, and the fact I was not listening to Boss Hogg, I flushed and heard the tiniest hint of a hissing noise.

           I found it, but only by doing something I bet not one of you has done. At least not on a regular basis. With my face pointed upward, I crawled behind the toilet and flushed. Then again, this might be some new fad in California, who's to say? Sure enough, there was a hairline crack in the feed line that only leaks while the bowl is in full flush. The repair hose was $5.33, but my estimate of the damage done would be at least $3,500 if you had to hire a plumber, who would probably just replace all the parts. Hence, once I get my files onto the flash drive, we'll have a day with the toilet, the can, the loo, the throne, as feature of the day. Soon to become Florida's most famous toilet. For now, here is a picture of the part that solved the mystery.


           And how about the next military bigwig that quit because Trump is withdrawing the troops. The withdrawal is in line with the wishes of the majority of American voters. What the hell are we doing there anyway? Let them (the dissenters) quit wholesale, we don't need 'em. Good effin' bye, Sweeney, and don't slam the door on your way out. The advantageous side-effect of Trump's libtard ass-kicking policy is weeding out the scum and business-as-usual dead heads. Sweeny, you enforce policy. You do not make it, you do not question it, you do not run off at the mouth. In the bigger picture, the US military are just more civil servants, and the whole lot of them need to be taught a lesson. You do not work for your favorite political party, you work for the American people. And if that conflicts with your personal leanings, you had no business taking the job in the first place. What part of "servant" don't you understand?

           In other news, the guitar player who's forming a startup has been in touch. He took long time, but his tone indicates he' discovered the notes I send him were true. I warned him who was going to waste his time and how, and to contact me back when he's had his fill of them. He sent a song list that has a strong overlap to what I do on stage. And trust me, there are no really good guitarists in central Florida who will do what I do on stage. (Because to a one (so far) they are a bunch of pansies who can't learn anything new.)

Picture of the day.
Commercial pomegranate juicing machine.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Rendezvous or not, I got Agt. R over here to haul the remaining drywall into the front bedroom. I further purchased two fence panels for $116, these form the privacy barricade I should have put up two years ago. He's telling me most people only put the fence posts a couple feet into the soil. How does that fare during hurricane season? The fence panels are under a weight that requires a fork lift, so they are scheduled for pickup tomorrow. Alas, Agt. R does not have an extensive history of showing up at appointed times. And here it is, Florida's most famous (blogwise) toilet. That's the wall clock on top, this is work in progress, gang.
           Later, I replaced the hose and it seems to have cured a variety of other small problems. The taps run better, the overall operation is quieter. I'm going to take a chance and shore up the bathroom in two locations. Using that 24-foot beam I laminated for the porch, which is still lying unused, I will cut it to size and strategically place it so that if any unevenness remains between the two sections of the building, it will run directly below the bathtub enclosure an the back bedroom closet. I can easily frame a new floor in those areas if need be. This could be the first thing that went right on the renovation.

           And that is a qualified right, since water sprayed all over the walls and floor while I discovered, in the dark, that the house has no primary shut off valve. I could not find my water key, so I had to use a mini-wrench to turn the main off in the street meter plug.

ADDENDUM
           This is a soon-to-be marketed exoskeleton. From a company called Sarcos, you can look up the details yourself. It is currently tethered but it won’t be long until there are batteries or fuel cells. The robot club looked at this technology long ago, when the few examples were military prototypes. This suit is bulky and the “hands” look only good for lifting. It’s intended to take the strain off physical labor, but you don’t need to be a brainiac to see how it could potentially put me back to work.
           But, like most new products, the manufacturer is vague on the price. From a robotics standpoint, there is nothing new about the assembly. Hydraulic or electric actuators have been around a long time. The sensors needed to emulate body motion can be ordered from a catalog. A unit that was only, say, 10% as functional as the human operator would still make a tremendous difference. If the price was a reasonable $20,000 I might consider it.

           Ha, it reminds me something long ago. It’s a situation that is likely to arise once this product hits the market. My partner’s step-family went on and on about who had to wash the dishes. So RofR and his siblings got together and installed them a dishwasher one Xmas. Did this solve the whining? Nope. It just meant an equal amount of bellyaching over who had to load the dishwasher. So it will be with the exoskeleton. And what happens when two guys with these get into a bar fight?
           A spot of trivia. The game most people call Solitaire, one of the few programs MicroSoft ever made standard that actually works right, is really named Klondike. Yes, everything depends on the opening moves, but 18% of the games are unwinnable. No matter what you do. That’s not enough, so here’s another. The reason so many work uniforms are blue is because it hides dirt and grime. That is the color that led to this type of job as “blue-collar”.
           Trivia. Forty million people still live in caves. Mostly in China.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++