Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

March 12, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: March 12, 2018, the stapler broke 2nd usage.
Five years ago today: March 12, 2014, 240 people showed up.
Nine years ago today: March 12, 2010, named after two dogs.
Random years ago today: March 12, 2008, averaging 8.971 mph.

           A chilly morning, although during the phone report, I referred to it as 'brisk'. I'm now officially house-sitting in Tennessee for an indeterminate time. My outside guess would be at least another ten days. Nothing else went on today, so I'm going to give you a little background on this. You are unaware that I am an experienced house-sitter. I don't usually do pets, especially those that need special care. This is different. The last few times non-family or outsiders were trusted to look after things did not turn out as planned. I'll give you some facts, but understand these facts are slightly altered so as not to give away the plot.
           Get to know these two guys, Sparky and Sammy. You'll probably see more of them in the near future. It was 44F this morning, so yes, they are bundled up in sweaters. House rules. I know, how did dogs ever survive millions of years without sweaters? The answer might be that there were no women around to insist. Quote me on that and you are dead, mister.

           I took a trip to Mt. Juliet, a town I like much better than Nashville, another thing you did not read here. I'll be shopping for computer parts soon. The flat screen I brought with me won't fire up. It didn't like the cold weather. This is what I get for investing in quality DELL products. I'll get over this irritability factor in a bit, but for now I'm newly confined to a place full of vegetarian things. No, I'm not one of those, and I'm okay with the concept. But I never thought eating chicken would make me an outsider.

Picture of the day.
Thick fog on the autobahn.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Last day I linked to the face research site and played with their software a bit. Here's another insight into my character, an "averaged" photo. This represents the average looks of the type of female face that I prefer, according to them. She's pretty, but a little bland for me. You see, the photo is not an absolute representation. You choose from a panel of photos and the software combines the features. It fails on quite a number of counts. The worst one is that it will emphasize any physical unpleasantness.
           First limitation is the number of photos. When you reject the fatties and uglies, you have maybe 20 photos left. None of those had blue eyes that did not couple with some undesirable feature. My gal would, same as me, have blue eyes. Nothing wrong with that preference. Also, the selection available was stilted to avoid any really sexy looking women and any females obviously under 21. Missing also were really light complexions or light blonde hair unless it was paired with some averse and often objectionable characteristics. It seems they went out of their way to make sure men using the app could never quite get what they truly wanted. I know, guys, what's that smell? Did I just step in some feminism?

           Unable to continue without playing music, I went out to the car and brought in my amp, acoustic, and bass. One great thing about this house is the soundproofing. Like my place, you cannot hear the front door from the far end. Humans, I mean, the dogs can hear everything just fine. Feeling energetic once the day warmed a bit, I let them out with me while I spent an hour raking leaves in the back yard. This is not me getting soapy on house pets, my motive was to tucker them out for the evening walk. It worked. Both dogs are 11 years of age. The smaller guy has arthritis. I had to carry him home the last three blocks.
           Plans? Yes, I'm going to find a better used book store. I'm got a plan to put together my best acoustic guitar material and play a solo at some open mic. Ah, I heard that back there. But you are wrong, you see. I've never played acoustic solo guitar at an open mic. It has presented all kinds of challenges. Top of that list is songs that I can belt out while playing bass, I either forget the lyrics or play a wrong chord at times when on guitar. I intend to make errors on stage. Let the other guitarist wait until he's perfect. In fact. once he gets perfect, allow me on stage either just before him or after him. I don't like perfect guitar players.

ADDENDUM
           Too prove Bill Gates did not, repeat not, get rich because he was smart, read his comments on taxing robots. Stupid beyond belief. Yes, something should be done, but it is his logic that is dismal. If a human worker is paid to produce goods, the human must pay taxes on what he earns. To Gates, a robot should also be taxed the same as a human that produced the same goods. Good thinking, Bill. Then we can tax fire hydrants, toilet paper, and in the future, rockets to the moon. Maybe the Democrats could extend them free mechanical checkups at your expense?
           Just kidding, though do not discount the concept of robots getting the vote. I mean, they let civil servants vote, do they not?

Last Laugh