Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, June 29, 2019

June 29, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 29, 2018, a generic day
Five years ago today: June 29, 2014, West Palm Beach
Nine years ago today: June 29, 2010, Ferrari bicycle.
Random years ago today: June 29, 2004, familiar red tinge.

           My neighbor takes the show again this year. And it’s only right, look at these two newest samples of his work. You’ve seen the big tractor before, but now it is in top running condition and those’r fresh John Deere regulation paint jobs. At a price per gallon that makes cleaning the brushes a budget item.
           I transmitted a note to the band attorney in Nashville, a progress report on 14 new tunes (to me). The soonest I can afford or care to return to Tennessee is maybe August. That’s when the Reb will call plus or minus, so I’ll pencil the time in. Another few hours prepping the front bedroom and I was zonked. So let me gloss over my laziness. The bamboo is now waxed (against infection) and sprayed (against insects). I moved 200 DVD disks out to the shed, around half my collection. I told you I’m off balance so the rest of this report is the tasks I got to before dark. Don’t expect much action since there wasn’t any.
           For a couple hours I ran through some of the unfamiliar music on the Tennessee list. Then I wrote the band manager a progress report. I caused me some head-scratching why such a great band needs a bass player, and why did both the band and the management take so instantly to my style? There’s no shortage of bassists in Nashville. I brought my old big band into focus. There are vast similarities and that band did not work out. They also burned through bass players, by the way, they have yet another one these days.

           Since I’m enjoying the music and the challenge, for the short run I’ll concentrate on what is different. Let me scribble down what is different. Mainly, the new band has prestige. People other than the free dog show and one airport lounge have heard of them. They also center on Nashville, which is another order of quality compared to south Florida. And two more most appreciated factors. This new band also plays out all the time, a huge draw for me. Um, Glen & Steve, the new band also pays the musicians a decent amount. What? Well, if you had listened to me you could have. But your pre-conceived notion that nobody listens to the bass player got you nowhere, now did it?
           The band manager needs a nickname. Let’s see if “Dood” sticks. That’s another thing, Dood is an attorney and we were on the same wavelength instantly. He creates a workable environment, actually reading his e-mail and responding. He keeps things upbeat and intelligent. Myself, I have no idea (well not much) what I’m getting into or where it goes. But any change from Florida will work for me.

Picture of the day.
The Stetson Sutley.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Then, a chore that most people wouldn’t spot as such. Cleaning outdoor bird feeders. They are fun, whee! What goes wrong in this climate is the seed can get damp enough to stick together. This limits the size of birdfeeders to around a cup or what can be consumed in a day or two. That’s your trivia for now. I ran a test in the work shed to see how local manufacture of the beer caddy would go. I have another, its model three and it took just a half-hour. A few design changes as the inevitable shortcomings reveal themselves. The slot has to be bigger and it is tricky to cut. There is a way the dividers can wedge too tight. The narrower side panels kind of look funny, as in anemic. All solvable, and let me say, working in the shed with the right gear is a treat.
           The tools required are a table saw, chop saw, band saw, jig saw, drill press, drill, and screwdriver. That’s five more than I had back in Hermitage. I have separate drills for most of the more common bits, and the jigs (which will need to be redesigned) keep measuring to a minimum. I waxed and sprayed the bamboo shoots, half of which are gaining back a little green color. Patience, urges the Reb. Yeah, Rebster, I’m going to patiently go make myself another cup of coffee. Right now as in right now.

&
nbsp;          Finally, the cipher fell to persistent pressure. That word YUUYU was ADDAD, proof again my advice that names have a different letter frequency. This puzzle stumped the Reb & I for an hour. That book I have of Bletchley Park puzzles is revealing something about code-breaking I had known before but presumed everybody could do it. The majority of puzzles show this can’t be so. One must be able to position letters, words, phrases, and entire sentences into patterns the other person would most likely think of as logical. Did I say that right? The wartime codes remain a challenge on that factor.            I realize most people who speak English have the Homer Simpson mindset. Why study English if you are never going to go there?

           Somehow, a month after tossing that same book aside as impossible, I’ve been slowly breaking some of the ciphers. Ha, Ken, the fact they are transmitted in Morse code is already enough to stymie klutzes like you. But I can now confirm the method most often used is to spot some seemingly tiny nuance to the text, and (for me) it seems to usually be structure. For example, if ‘p’ is the second letter in a word, what is the only non-vowel that can precede it? Apparently iPad eproms operate upstandingly. What? Yes, but I specified it’s what the other person thinks is logical, Teresa.
           After all, I wrote that last sentence, did I not? Pretty sneaky how I slid that one in, huh?

           While you are here, I’ve a puzzle for you. Here is a paragraph from a book I bought at the Goodwill on Lebanon Pike in Tennessee earlier this year. It contains all the information needed to know how the passage was written and using what tool. It shows the writer was unskilled at using his equipment, the proofreader needs to be let go. It can also be inferred what caused the most obvious error and why. All told, the entire team responsible for this passage were likely educated in the same fashion. See how well you do at it.


ADDENDUM
           I watched a video titled “Who Killed the Electric Car”. I see the re-emergence of these cars, with a major change—they will be centrally controlled by computers that will monitor and record your every move and every mood. The motive will change from emission concerns to complete power and manipulation of your driving—and America is still a nation designed around the automobile. The degree of surrender to ubiquitous corporate control will be pervasive. And if the US government is not a corporation, it’s behavior is indistinguishable from the worst of them.
           I thought the disc would be about the technology, but that aspect amounted to a few schematics and some footage of the Impact. That’s the California electric car that was to have brought zero pollution to us by now. Instead, it was liberal idiot after liberal idiot going on about global warming. No, it is not the same subject. Not even close, one is emerging technology, the other is a gambit for more government.
           Let me spell something out to those who think equality is such a great thing. If you want everybody to be equal, be prepared to live in a world without artists, inventors, geniuses, musicians, and most importantly, without progress. Take a good look at the people around you and realize what will happen to you and to mankind if everybody is dragged down to that level. Schemes to elevate everyone up have failed since time began. Mass human equality can exist only under mentally and physically brutish conditions.

           And here’s a nice panel of the most popular yard birdfeeders, followed by the hummingbird sipper, which is being cleaned further because they are so fussy. The top panel shows the kitchen window feeder, note how the window is freed up and works so smoothly it must be propped open. The paint job is same as when I bought the place, likely not tended to since the 1980s. The exterior is not my priority.
           The bottom panel is the favorite of the red cardinal family. They will find the kitchen feeder on occasion but have otherwise been impossible to tame in the slightest. Still taking up to five minutes to respond to my feeding whistle, they have only once or twice stayed in the yard when I’m working 30 feet away. The feed mixture shown here is a songbird blend, heavy on the sunflower seeds. The insect birds don’t need any help, not with the mosquito problem in central Florida.
           There are bats in the yard, remind me to get some bat houses happening. Most skeeter species here are insidious in that they do not sting. It might look like the Reb is constantly slapping my head, but I’m assured she has my best interests at heart.

Last Laugh