Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

September 10, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 10, 2018, but I don’t trust them.
Five years ago today: September 10, 2014, an age-restricted trailer court.
Nine years ago today: September 10, 2010, early mention of iris scans.
Random years ago today: September 10, 2009, on how to drop dead.

           This picture from last evening tried to capture a rather nice Nashville sunset. The city is just over the horizon on the right side, maybe 15 miles away. Instead, Sony got me this grainy shot but the message is still there. These may seem like wee outings, but represent around the limit of how we spend time together. We are actually a fairly skookum crossword team, see below.
           The band manager contacted me, just a note saying to keep learning the material, but to interact with him only. That’s easy for me to figure out. He’s got some freakishly talented musicians already in the band, but he’s wise to how rarely talent is top dog in the music biz. Keep plugging away, I said months ago, and wait for that opening. If there is any hope of my getting into a show group without putting in the by-now standardized ten years, this is probably it.

           Deciding it is time to go see if my house is still standing, I took half a day to tidy up and load the car. I’ve decided to take the option I mentioned, going east through North Carolina via Knoxville, then south to Spartanburg. Check in regularly, in that travel can create chaos with regular blog postings. After I get into North Carolina, I intend to take the Asheville fork into territory I’ve never seen before, driving as due south until I hit the area around Waycross near the Florida border. Then on to St. Augustine.
           Things went wrong almost immediately. First, JZ can’t make it to the party. He’s helping his borther fix something that can’t wait. The Reb had to work most of the day. I took the time to search for a pet-friendly paint. The lumber on Turtle World is untreated, since that is known to be ghastly stuff. I found several types of paint that use milk as a base. Has anyone else heard of this? Just go on-line, it’s there. What I failed to find was the price. You ask and you get the old enter your e-mail and we’ll send it back to you scam.

           Too many people, I think, are unaware of the mass of material records being kept on them. Even those who used to say they didn’t care are eating those words. My advice remains consistent to those who have not taken preventative or protective measures in the past. Your best and maybe only defense is to make it easier for them to snoop on somebody else. I’m warning you that to take any steps now to conceal yourself will just raise a flag on you. I’ll give no examples but your best option is to create situations where the bureaucrats think there is something wrong with their computers. But just wrong enough to skip your troublesome account and move on to something easier.
           Don’t even try to dupe a complete change, it just stands out. To anyone with a computer and real know-how, there is no such thing as a witness protection program. Fortunately for now, there isn’t much real know-how left. That’s why you will soon see it isn’t bureaucrats, but A.I. programs begin sifting and combing through all that free Google and Facebook data accumulated in the past ten years.

           In once sense, the A.I. is good in that it will initially begin to uncover criminals who thought they had left no clues. But all have some element they’ve overlooked, especially repeat criminals like robbers and rapists. A.I. search mechanisms will peel away layer after layer, and they are not looking for clues because they are not that smart yet. They are looking for patterns, and with an unfailing eye. Alas, a few innocents will be sacrificed because they happened to, say have lived within 27.295 miles of a crime and have the last two digits of their license plate fitting some faulty witnesses recollection, but this is not different that now. The computers will just speed up the entire process.
           It is when the computers finally begin to generate their own suspicions with neural-like networks that the public will feel the not breath of the law in everything. Watch for more and more older crimes to become solved and watch for more ridiculous cover stories because the old “routine patrol” line is far too worn out for what is looming.

Picture of the day.
Monument Valley
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           We went for Asian food. I had the curried veggies. The Reb did sushi, a product I don’t recognize as actual food. Or wasabi, a smidgen of it is too much for me. The Reb can handle it but I subscribe to my old co-workers theory that food shouldn’t hurt. We rarely talk about money but we did. As far as life goes, she is the only person I would feel confident to run a business if I had to leave for a few days. I did know a gal I would have gone partners with but she was unable to keep things afloat unless I was around. The one hurdle that slows everything down is we have such differing backgrounds and I’m infinitely more distrustful of strangers than her.
           I also feel bankruptcy law is the only major field of American business which has completely adapted vertically to the privacy intrusions and tracking capabilities of the Internet and databases. They’ve even managed to get the laws changed so you can’t really declare bankruptcy in the traditional sense. None of this would be possible if they had not pushed through laws that altered the very concept of bankruptcy.
           Where it should be the lender that takes the risk, they have twisted that to the point they take almost no risk, yet continue with outrageous interest rates and fees. You don’t have to ask yourself twice who has the system by the balls to create a body of law like that.

           This was our last night out for a while. Nope, we never went out and spent a ton of cash, rather a late dindin up at Mt. Juliet and an evening stroll with the dogs. Summer is declining but still warm and what is that strange insect that makes a noise like a flock of chickadee birds, which I don’t think form flocks. Well, they got them in Tennessee also even if others say it is my imagination. I also imagine that JeePee is much livelier in his aquarium now that he’s spending time in the sunshine most days. Like the aquarium, his single-minded purpose is to get out. He’s run away from home before but always came back.
           Here’s a pic that half the world may eventually call me nuts. Here I am, home alone with one of the most attractive women on the planet, and together we work the New York Times crossword. Well, to that crowd, take this as a prime example of how to keep things simple. This is quality time that cannot be imitated, bought, or pushed a millimeter too far.
           To the trained eye, a lot can be said about our personalities and relationship by this photo. My printing is small letters, she uses big capitals. Big enough to blot out the number in the upper left. The solution here took us around a half-hour, since she knows the name clues that block me. I can only answer if the question involves memory or logic. Names of bit players, TV actors, fiction authors, politicians, worm phyla, and laxative brands don’t occupy either role in my existence.

ADDENDUM
           Let me tell you another slime-ball tactic what was unheard of in my day. (Well it was heard of, but nobody was enough of a douche.) I’m aware the world changes because it’s been doing so all my life. But most scams are repeats of the same old. It takes a special type of person to defend a scam and that’s one change that’s taken over in the past, say, ten years. You’d think Walgreen’s would know better. Here’s their rip-off. If you walk in the door the newspaper rack is near the checkout. Now remember a large part of what makes a millennial is his opinions of all you have to do about cleaning up the mess he makes.
           So you grab a paper, pay and leave. And the scam is that Walgreen’s (and too many others) leave old unsold papers on the display rack, dirty bastards. The unwary customer is often paying full price for outdated issues. Walgreen’s must make enough at this unsavory practice to persist the way they do. If you say anything, they just say all you have to do is check the date. That’s right, all you have to do.

Last Laugh