Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

September 11, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 11, 2018, remember all the good intentions?
Five years ago today: September 11, 2014, best a copying?
Nine years ago today: September 11, 2010, US embassy, my eye.
Random years ago today: September 11, 2008, junk & fake offers.

           Ah, disjointed postings. It means I’m on the road. This time to Spartanburg, SC. At this moment I’m enjoying some brews at a campus pub called Delaney’s. I mean, there has to be a school of that sort within staggering distance, because I got here 45 years too late. Lots fo skin on display losts of women out to get there MRS, and a over-talented but guitar duo playing far to many sucky ballads. Welcome to Spartansburg. I’m crashing at the Wal*Mar Arms later. All you get is a recap of the day.
           At mid-morning I split (note the dated college phraseology) Hermitage and cruised east along I-40. This is the first time I’ve ever drove into Knoxville that direction. I was last here in 1999 and their pavements have not improved [all that] much. I suspect every student driver chose today for practice. When they cut in front after passing, I know that my brights are set up enough to be painful even in daylight.

           Who loves drama? Show of hands? That is what I thought. Not so fast. One of the dogs chewed up an insect bait trap. I got the news four hours driving time away. Darn rights i was jolted, did you know pumping a dog’s stomach is a thousand-dollar procedure. I had not left any bait of potency, but put yourself the driver’s seat of my station wagon. The Reb will not take chances, even though the poison is fibronil, the same thing used in flea collars. Which both doggies wear and are many times more potent, as in 50 times more. True, the dogs don’t eat it, but they do scratch them and lick their paws.
           What, you want more information? Okay. I would never intentionally leave any poison where a pet could access it. But, what about a combination of pets? Be fair, I’ve told you about this before with the group over in Hermitage. Different species or not, they work as a team. I had left one roach bait behind the toilet, you know, the access point. No dog would fit, but how about the cat can just reach far enough to skid the trap out? To where the dog can get it. The fact is, these baits contain very little poison. They use compounds which are not that nasty, but for reasons still unknown, are very toxic to insects such as roaches. If it says child-proof, it is probably fine around your pets. You see, 0.05% is a VERY TINY amount, you get worse poison walking across the Dollar General parking lot, mistaking it for Dollar Tree. What? Well, that's how people shop there, dammit.

Picture of the day.
Viking brand pool cues.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The news arrived as I’m passing some highway sign deficient place called Hendersonville. I got into a Dunkin Donuts, where I asked the clerk if they had WiFi and if so, was the WiFi working. I’m from Florida, I’v learned to as both questions. Here’s my pretty car bumper after reaching the flatlands on the other side of the mountains. More love bugs and less visibility through the windscreen. The good news is at least this is not some locust plaque.
           While not strictly travel news, I have given up attempting to put audio books into MP3 format for long-distance driving. It can be done but not worth the effort. Plus there is no easy way ordinary players can pick up where they left off. In a car, you are probably turning the ignition off every couple of hours. Unless you take a chance of powering the accessories while you are away, it can be a task to find where you left off.

           So, I stopped at the Spartanburg Wal*Mart, got permission to camp overnight, and bought one of them cheap-ass Onkyo or whatever CD players. It’s crap, but once you figure out pushing the play button once doesn’t start the thing playing, you can run it through your car stereo. I chose what I thought was a historical account and was only half right. Here’s why you want to avoid “Saving The World”. It is not the story of the transportation of smallpox vaccine around the world as say the reviews. That is somewhat less than half the material.
           For those unfamiliar with the episode, it was an English doctor who discovered the vaccination for smallpox. But this was science and took a long time to become accepted by the Catholic church. To them, death and disease were punishments for sin until the King of Spain noticed the native labor in the Spanish colonies were dying before they could be worked to death. In no time at all, the vaccine had the Pope’s blessing.

           Alas, the vaccine could not be stored and thus could not survive an ocean passage. Unless they had human carriers. The vaccine works by infecting a human with cowpox, which forms a pustule at the puncture site. This fluid is the vaccine, but it must be immediately placed into another human carrier who has never had the disease before. Since most babies abandoned at birth were outside monasteries and orphanages, there was your source. I’d heard how twenty boys were taken to America. During the passage, each ten days one pair was used to infect a second pair and so on, keeping the strain going until they reached port.
           The pairing was needed in case one did not take. The children were told they would become special subjects of the king and I was curious what happened to them. To cross the Pacific, another batch of boys would be taken from local orphanages, and so on. I presumed they were eventually sold into slavery and thought this book would clear up the mystery.

           Not so far. Instead, the story is a fictionalized account of a Dominican Republic lady who marries a white doctor and is writing the vaccine story as a novel. She’s the stupidest, loopy, paranoid, neurotic twit to the extent, it wrecks the book. And I’m only on disk 4 of 19. It’s plainly a role originally written for a different character that the publishers wrongly figured injecting a Spanish character would show how racially integrated they’ve become. Instead, it messes up the plot with utterly unsuitable delays. If she’s no so proud to be American, why the constant references to the other place as “her country”. Shit like that.
           he first batch of boys have just set out on the voyage and if I want to follow their progress, it may mean putting up with this screwy bitch for half the duration. Every chapter, she “forgives” some white person for mispronouncing her surname as “Rodriguez de Gonzalez” when it is “Rodriguez y Gonzalez”. Can’t get much more American than that. At least in some parts of town.

           TMOR, regardless what you may see in the movies, in America you no longer see pretty women in public any more. This has been so for twenty years. There are a number of reasons. If you see a pretty one, she is a sales clerk, a real estate salesperson, or the boss’s favorite secretary. Nearby you might see a picture of a lady in a black dress. That is the only decent looking gal I saw on the entire trip, except for that wonderful episode described nearby when I wound up in a university pub.
I know that is so sad, so I’ll tell you a joke. I went to the dentist and he said I needed a crown. I jumped up and yelled, “Finally, somebody who understands me.”

ADDENDUM
           Here’s the dog on the repaired lawn swing. I can’t believe the work I did on that piece of furniture. It’s now twice as strong as it looks. The dog could care less.

Last Laugh