Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, September 22, 2019

September 22, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 22, 2018, Alex Jones stifle day (anniversary).
Five years ago today: September 22, 2014, unemployed rockers ain't country.
Nine years ago today: September 22, 2010, beyond the first because.
Random years ago today: September 22, 2006, real dogs keep shifting.

           Half the territory is gung ho about JZ’s planned visit. They remember it as five years since he was out this way. It was only three years ago last month. With JZ’s past, three years of dormancy is nothing. I told everyone to quit making plans until I confirm his arrival. He’s not likely to show up here at six in the morning. I’ll put him right to work, we are supposed to have cool days until middle of the week and I did my best to measure the elevation of the back yard. I may have to opt for a two-level work area, one around 8 inches higher than the other. It means moving a lot of topsoil, but that is a boon to the front yard. It gets a topping of that great black soil, rare in these parts.
           Next, I priced out a second 1TB drive at Wal*Mart while there buying a corded saber saw. The cordless units tend to get used as an all-purpose tool, which they aren’t really. The memory drive was priced just under $50 and that got me awed because I grew up along with memory devices. From audio tapes to big floppies, to small floppies, and it is both stunning and shocking. My first memory was a dollar a byte, or around $10 in today’s money. Now it buys 100 billion bytes. The biggest consumer drives readily available are 4TB, but I know from experience, four 1TB units are better. Less odds of a total crash, or loss, plus such sizes are, to me, backups. I take one with me on travels.
           This is a picture of a typical renovation obstacle nearly impossible to predict in advance. The hole from the yard light is in the drip path of the A/C. That’s despite to small chutes to channel any drips to the opposite side of the fixture. Since the A/C is in heavy use, it is the light that gets moves.

           What’s shocking is the impetus behind the growth in storage capacity. It’s not goody-goody progress, because it has gone far beyond anybody’s legitimate needs. Think of it this way. If your neighbor was a photographer, how many rolls of film would he have to buy at once to make you suspicious of what he could be taking pictures of? A hundred rolls, fine. But a thousand. How about a million? By now you close your curtains at night, I’ll bet. Now a billion, and you know something funny is going on. Such it is with memory.
           Is there any genuine need for such capacity? It is no secret the intention is to use it to store information on people. Who requires such immense storage, and what do they want it for? And why are they so furtive about it? My stance remains the same as ever. The state has abused every piece of information they ever had on you and this expands their power a hundred billion times. There can be no doubt they intend to use it. We become the surveillance state, where everything is either compulsory or forbidden.

           [Author’s note: it started with FDR, who correctly surmised that income tax in 1918 had given the voting classes something to worry about all the time. He was able to skirt all the rules and regulations, working tirelessly to get us into the European war. By coincidence, the radio was playing songs about that era. Most people never heard of the Greer, an American destroyer that was attacked by a U-boat in 1941, months before America declared war.
           But Roosevelt had been openly assisting England for years. The Greer had been shadowing the U-Boat, reporting its position to British aircraft, who depth-charged the submarine. It was only when the Greer itself began dropping depth-charges that the U-boat fired back. There is no mention of this in any contemporary American account of the incident. Only that the German U-boat has become a “Nazi” U-boat.]


Picture of the day.
Japanese temple wood joint.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           My calendar is marked for all the perimeter bug sprays and I’m going to try something different. Florida has two insects I don’t care for, cockroaches and these ugly bugs I call dragon crickets. The roaches eat tree bark, they’re horrible. And the sprays don’t deter anything like the projected 90 days. I bought some growth inhibitor that is guaranteed to work. I have the spraying equipment, and I know a guy who likes that kind of work. Remember the gas chamber at his dad’s house? I’m trying a double spray, the growth inhibitor and what they call an adulticide. Says it lasts up to 7 months. It’s a naturally occurring chemical in roaches, fleas, and such, safe for food surfaces, pet quarters, hospitals. That’s some tall claims.
           I ran into the neighbor who has his Internet through the town. It’s included on his water bill. I don’t know the price. He says the service is spotty, which points to the last mile of service. That would not affect my requirements but I can’t speak for the Reb. She has said she’d like to visit, but not without full Internet service, which she uses hours a day. The neighbor has a wireless router and might be amenable to sharing that. We shall see.

           No plans, I told them, meaning Alaine and the lovely Becca, until I confirm he is here. They want to meet up in Arcadia. It’s a bit of an artsy town and they have a much better impression of the place than JZ & I. Also, I’ve never been to Tampa except on business. There’s lots to keep him away from Miami. This place is finally quieter and more comfortable than his fancy condo, so maybe he’ll stick around on his own. The guy has not had a decent holiday since the time we went to Ft. Meyers. Remember the Lanai Kai? It is only a hundred miles from here.
           The guest room is mostly ready, if you don’t mind some gear piled in one corner. Hey, if I can crash at JZ’s place, which has junk piled up on the kitchen table from since I first met him, he can sleep in that room or live there for that matter. Alaine & I have conspired to try to keep him out here three weeks. There is nothing to do I Miami that doesn’t cost money, this is not some idle observation. I tried for years to find it. I wound up starting a robot club.

           There is something unusual to report. It’s odd enough to be bloggable and concerns music. The band manager from Nashville sent an e-mail. He wants me to keep up with the core list, which I have. Then, he mentioned the difficulty of getting booked. Stay with me, because that doesn’t make sense, but since he knows I have management experience, it makes sense. The group is excellent, so far I haven’t been able to keep up with them. Thus, I speculate based on that experience. Got that? I have no ready facts about the band. I’m guessing. But let’s see what I’m guessing.
           A band without steady work isn’t making money. A group without money means at least some players are multi-banding. A manager who knows that is wise enough not to count on any of them. I may not be first choice in the talent department, but I show up when I say. If he’s had membership problems in the past, that would reinforce my suspicion that he needs people he can count on. He has my full information, that I’m not in Tennessee, and I’m struggling with a lot of unfamiliar music. Something is afoot and it is at the management level. Did somebody quit? If so, my guess is it was that new girl singer. She was low-energy and left me with the impression she considered the band to be support staff.

           The pole saw isn’t as easy as first glance. The one I picked, an 8” ‘WorX”, did not seem to have any matching replacement chains. And we’ve encountered that problem before. Agt. R says he has one of those electric blade sharpeners, what I call a rig & jig. It takes time to clamp in the blade so he reports he’s gotten faster results using a file. The branches I need cut will take hours of hard work and I’m considering topping some of the trees. That should have been done 40 feet ago. Those trees are unbelievably tall and thin.
           This repeat photo from January shows the chain that does not fit. One thing I did not check is if the blade itself could be replaced with a standard size. But I’m not in the tool building trade. I have not gone over to pick up my new scooter yet.

ADDENDUM
           You don’t have to follow any of this, but I’m looking even closer at using FE Express to generate the blog index addresses. Most of the address is fixed text, as in >a href=https:// talesfrom . . .

           A while back I keyed in three months of the addresses. One of the longest single tasks each day is generating the Yesteryear links. It would be tricky but I wonder if that could be automated. The easiest way would be to pad every month out to 31 days and simply count backwards to the required records. I know what some people are thinking, but this is the simplest approach. It’s a blog-year of 372 days. Take a given date and back up 372 records, and there’s your one-year-ago address.

           I already cut & paste the address into the links. If I keep the address on my own files, eventually the work load drops theoretically to nearly zero. I truly enjoy this type of work. I toyed with the commands I remember. It’s a brute force approach, but it has the advantage of avoiding “copy key errors”. That’s one of the differences between a programmer and a coder. A coder will grab some existing piece of code, say a date concatenation app written by somebody else, that “guarantees” it performs some task. The coder does not know the creator, or read the code, even if he knew how.
           He is blindly trusting the other guy who’s about the same pay grade. As long as the procedure appears to work, that’s good enough for a coder. That’s how airliners manage to disappear. I prefer to hard code every command line and understand precisely what it does and how. It’s just that I remember having a hard time finding the FE Express manual before. It isn’t even mentioned on their site, where the price tag on the software is now $99. Ten times what I paid.

           For DOS, a manual is necessary. Tutorials and how-to videos don’t come close. It’s that ass-end generation difference between something that works and something that only appears to work. I’ve seen date fields that could not be sorted or alphabetized. I’m going to do something stupid by choice, which is install the newest version 6.0 on this computer. It reputes to contain a series of instructions that may be enough for now.
           Later. It is the same old DOS program with some rather iffy changes, one is that it autoexpands to full screen size, which is not what you want. The commands are identical and the so-called tutorials are nothing but two sample databases which don’t tell you much about how it got there. A quip in the splash screen says a 450 page manual is available only on purchase. Obviously, I’ll be looking for alternatives. For me, the manual should be free because I paid $9.95 for the software back in something like 1990. I have version 1.3, I think.

           Odd, when I’m using DOS, which I have traditionally found to be light on resources and blurringly fast, it slows my system. I wonder if that is because it is using core memory to operate? Audio will skip and video will artifact. I’m watching a Ton Selleck movie made when he was older and had learned how to act, actually doing well by comparison. There is a direct cause and effect on any moving data when I press a DOS operation in File Express.

Last Laugh