Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, December 11, 2019

December 11, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 11, 2018, east of Amarillo.
Five years ago today: December 11, 2014, early Hong Kong protest mention.
Nine years ago today: December 11, 2010, early scooter mention.
Random years ago today: December 11, 2007, a birthday party.

           There I am as usual, minding my own business and I hear this racket out the door. Ducks, it was. Hundreds of them on migration decided the neighbor’s yard was a good resting spot. By the time I got my trousers on and went out with the camera, they were gone. So I used the rest of the dawn to pursue cracking more advertised-as-free software. I draw no distinction with the crowd that, once you’ve been click-baited, says the download is free. Since when weren’t downloads free? That’s like a gas station saying the pump is free. The snag is, much of the new trial software wants an e-mail and can tell if the e-mail has already been used. And Google still won’t let me use my new public access point. Why? Because they are all AOLs to begin with, that’s why.
           Finally, here’s the gif of that skull-shaped rock on the shore of the lake in Tennessee. It’s eroded to look like the head bones of an ox or steer. An interesting conversation piece, but too heavy to lift and carry any distance or it would be in my front yard by now. I’m off to Winter Haven, see you back here around noon.

           As the system still continues to use the Trade Center attack as an excuse to extent their power, there are now a new set of rules to get an ID card. Before, it was administered by the motor vehicle place because that’s where you either showed your papers or got snubbed. Other than that, it was “voluntary”. I mean, you don’t have to drive, you know, to places like the hospital. Now, the new REAL ID means a trip to the tax collector’s office. And it has to be the one near the address you provide, not any branch like it used to be. Twenty years later, things still continue to “tighten up” in this fashion. You cannot imagine the billions being wasted on these government schemes. The terrorists won that round.
           Worse yet, the entire government regime is busy orchestrating dozens of new situations where this picture ID card must be presented. It is already mandatory for nuclear power plants and all federal buildings, but just you watch. Today brought nothing but remarks of disgust over this, as well as the incidents at some US military bases. I have not heard the newscasts yet but it seems the US allows “recruits” and “trainees” from known terrorist-harboring countries on our supposedly most secure locations.
           Forgetting that Saddam Hussein was once our staunch ally and things like that, we continue to arm and train unvetted foreign nationals in such developmental fields as flying jet combat aircraft. Regardless of the impression pasted on by the media, most American feel this equality and permissiveness thing has gone too far. The average citizen wants nobody in the US military unless they were born here. I tend to agree—and I’m also an isolationist.

Picture of the day.
Poop in space, NASA.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I’m low on pictures, so here’s another of the dogs at the lake. You can never have enough photos of the dogs at the lake, I think it says so in the Geneva Convention, you can look it up. Enjoy, because before long the USA will never have enough pictures of you. Yes, folks, the predictions for the number of video surveillance cameras by 2025 now say up to 2 billion in this country. You saw what happened with the Ring [doorbell camera] so just multiply that a few thousand times over. It’s taken a few generations to lull the public into British-style complacency, where any law is fine as long as it’s always somebody else getting snagged. I'm alright, Jack!
           There are millions of cameras already, but so far it is not illegal to obscure your face, although the latest software measures things like your walking gait and isn’t fooled by beards or sunglasses. It will be like Facebook & Google all over. There will be no protective laws put into place until years after the problems become endemic. I’m wondering how long before I am refused at an ATM because I always park and walk up to them wearing some kind of brimmed hat. I’ve always done this since they installed cameras on the devices and never saw this as protective or paranoid, but a natural reaction to strangers taking pictures for unknown reasons. Facial recognition will end the presumption of innocence.

           Like every other motorcycle I’ve owned, there is no place to keep any paper documents secure and dry on the scooter. I took it for a spin because it does not behave well on the throttle and practice is needed to accelerate smoothly. I parked near the post office and that lady from the old club is now working at the joint on the east end. Dang, I cannot remember her name. We stopped and talked for a long while. I get the impression she feels she may have made too many big decisions too early in life. I know well how the peer pressure thing has become standardized by the Internet. She should be having the time of her life and she isn’t.
           The season also found me making annual backups. I reviewed a ton of material so far, something I don’t always have time for. One difference is apparent, a difference I noticed mainly because I worked with a lot of computers and made backup copies for others, is content. The vast majority of most people’s files is not their own creation. I have thousands of documents and pictures with the difference is most of them are my own. And for most of them, I have one single master backup. I may have to change that and create that often-neglected off-site copy, which is always a security risk. Where could I keep it? In Tennessee, I suppose. Or maybe with RofR’s brother. You know, RofR should by the odds start reappearing on the scene around now. He devoted a lot of his life to making money and became very, very good at it.

Last Laugh