Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, December 7, 2019

December 7, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 7, 2018, chop the firewood.
Five years ago today: December 7, 2014, private junkyard.
Nine years ago today: December 7, 2010, Miami = Crime City.
Random years ago today: December 7, 2002, don’t read this post.

           Remember these campers? This is the Yukon, they were marketed as Fantasy something-or-other back in the day. I’m looking at this one, which has been largely restored, but also updated, as in DVD player, flatscreen, and the lighting is all LED. These units were better self-contained in the sense that they were meant to be lived in. I’m looking, but not so sure. The price tag is only $2,500. It is a 1988 and the seller claims everyting works and has added a custom mesh rack for bicycles. Or maybe a small scooter?
           I could not get started today. Instead, I puttered around. All day. I picked up some chicken feed which turns out the chickens don’t like. They still raid my songbird tray and follow me around hoping I’ll drop something. In particular, they love peanut chunks, which I reserved for the cardinals. I’ve only seen the female but I can hear they’ve returned. She’ll now fee right in front of the kitchen window. Move slowly and she’ll stick around.

           Lethargy, that’s what I’ve got, not to be confused with lazy or tired. I unloaded the car, set up the computer, fixed some electric cords, played a little bass, and stained some of the boxes I built in Tennessee. It was my all important work on the house that I could not kick-start. I vacuumed out the new saw and glued the jigsaw of the cats onto backing, small projects like that. All day long. Not even any new pictures, I guess I needed the down time.
           The CoolPat HotSpot passes most of the tests, but Google is still being their usual jerk-off selves. Speaking of such idiots, Bernie Sanders is plugging the Internet as a human right. He is not saying who would be paying for this. But I’ll bet Martin Shkreli could provide that insight.

Picture of the day.
Russian snowball cookies.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I tacked together a birdhouse and stained a picture frame. The salvaged some parts off old pinball mechanisms. This is as motivated as I got. Did you know there is a light mold that will grow on ceramic tiles? I found out when I got back. This discoloration on my new motorcycle helmt shows how pervasive this problem can be. I’m rapidly falling into my old habits with the Reb. Not bad habits, but old habits. For example, she is so trustworthy, I don’t count things or double-check. I forget things back there. And this time it was my favorite electric drill. This is all a new situation (neither living together nor apart) and I’ve not adapted worth a twit. Things I know are there, I run out of here ,because I remember buying them but manage to forget that was 750 miles away.
           Tomorrow is another non-working day, as that is the Xmas concert, or pardon me, the bell-ringing event. Even my estate manageress has been in such a group but I never saw one till last year. There is another release of “Midway”, considered the turning point of World War II in the Pacific. With the HotSpot, I read the reviews and it’s getting so-so grades. But several mentioned it as a “two-hour display of special effects”, so for me it might be worth it. The title has caused many people to think the event took place halfway through the war, say 1943. But actually, it was just months after Pearl Harbor. I concluded by 1985 that the American version of the war is complete hocus pocus, lie after lie.
           Several more reviews said the movie lacks historical accuracy. But, considering what I just said, I wonder if it only seems inaccurate to the brainwashed. There are just too many aspects of the American version that smack of Hollywood. The Midway water purifier tale, the flight plan of Yamamoto, and the endless claims that Japan could land on the American coast. Hogwash, unless they chartered some ferryh boats in Seattle. There was never any chance the Japanese could win, they wanted a negotiated peace. Fat chance with Roosevelt and Churchill in cahoots. Maybe I will see this film. Or are movies still using film? There was a lyric at the time, “We’ll find a feller who is yeller and beat him red, white, and blue.” Maybe I’ll search on that.


           Here’s a view of the picture frame around the cat puzzle, which the Reb refers to as “grandma art”. This picture is hard to view, I know. She’s just too talented to be an afficiado of my growing skills at hand-making neat wooden objects. Sigh, we artists are always misunderstood in our formative years. But, mostly by people who, you know, read the New York Times. I mean, just look at them mitered corners. That reminds me, this months PopSci has an article on how texting is introducing new word forms. Their given example was “whoms’t’ve”. If they are just noticing that now, we know, thusforth, they haven’t been reading this blog. Their loss.

ADDENDUM
           The CoolPad HotSpot is certainly handy, but I’m already spotting limitations. It will artifact on some sites like NOVA documentaries. It is okay for music so far, and while I do not use the Internet for news, I do sift it for information. That produces results similar to sifting the cat box up in Tennessee. Here’s an item that says that robots may take away some of the highest paying jobs in finance. Why does this surprise no one? The robots now have the intellgence of four-year-olds. Seriously, I experienced this effect fifteen years ago in my accounting career.
           A brief review on that. The accounting department where I worked let everybody go. I knew it was coming because of changes in the tax code? Huh? What’s the connection? I had noticed that computer software had trouble keeping up with changes in tax laws, so they changed the tax laws to match computer capabilities by things like accepting TurboTax output. I hated TurboTax because it complied with the law rather than with GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles).

           And the FBI is warning people about the IoT, saying to password everything and put black tape over the cameral lenses. Have they been reading this blog? This dystopian nightmare was predicted here long ago. Now there is talk of drone hit men. Once again—and it may take many more decades before the world realizes I’m right, the problem is C+ code and the people who use it.
           The code produces the effect that why learn something when you can look it up? The problem with that is the mentality of the person who created what you are looking up. The phrase I coined is “truth by majority rule” or “it must be true, I saw it on the Internet”. This is the situation where if the majority thinks the world is flat, then that is what you must say to be accepted or to pass the exam. In enough time, the system adapts and nonsense becomes established fact.

Last Laugh