Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, December 9, 2019

December 9, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 9, 2018, bell choir anniversary.
Five years ago today: December 9, 2014, scroll saw ornaments.
Nine years ago today: December 9, 2010, remember when 8,300 was tops?
Random years ago today: December 9, 2002, long before Enron.

           Popular request means you get a snap of the food. Here she be, I don’t know the one on the left. It was a lady that joined us at the last moment. That’s me in the center, with the fries, which I am allowed once per week. This has ham but not pork, which I am trying limit. On the right, there’s your reuben, that would be Alaine. The club had only two waitresses, one of who was practically running the room by herself. Always overtip breakfast waitresses. We certainly did.


           I did not care for the company of the lady who tagged along, I had to pre-empt her nosy questions several times, but at least it cut her off. She used to be a paralegal and fancied herself an inquisitive cross-examiner. Here are three typical answers, you can figure out what the questions were.
                      1. I never said I lived in Florida.
                      2. I never said I lived in Texas.
                      3. Maybe it’s not my car.

           By now, I’ve captured some stills from the concert. Here is the big choir, singing a selection of non-standard pieces. The music was written by a local man of some talent, though the melodies broke no new ground. There were 25 voices in the group, which included five men. Unlike the choir I led when I was twelve years of age, this one had, as a requirement, the ability to actually sing.
           There is no easy way to get sound into these pictures, although I have finally found a software package that has a glitch. It will convert Sony azz-clown MP4 to the same MP4 the rest of the world uses. Once I have that, I can use my edit software. But, the trial version is limited to only half the length of the input file. So of course, I must splice the file up to double length, but they left the door open, so I’ll use it.

Picture of the day.
Recalled VWs abandoned in California.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here’s the first picture I was able to find of that whale fossil in the Egyptian desert. The one where I can’t figure out how they missed it. All of the other pictures [of this fossil] contained too much data [the so-called DIF gibberish] to risk downloading it, a step in the posting process shown here [meaning the photos are posted, not linked]. I normally have resize most photos down that appear in this blog. I watched a weird DVD called awake, concerning how some patients under anesthesia are paralyzed, but remain conscious of their surroundings. A rare novel plot and rather well played. But, I’m still not sold on the Hollywood portrayal of men who are not automatically suspicious when pretty women come on to them. If they could tone that down, some of the story lines become believable. The plot is a bit hard to follow sometimes but I recommend the movie, called “Awake”.
           Oh, and if anyone’s noticed, I’ve reverted back to using quotation marks I always did on line. The rule was they always go after the final punctuation even if it looks wrong. That may be fine on paper, but it looks double wrong on a monitor. So I follow the other rule, that I am often punctuation the words, not the whole sentence.

           I’ve been testing a secure e-mail system. It deletes the file after a set period, but it works by having the recipient “dial back” to my e-mail. The idea is the message is on my server, not theirs. It involves an extra step and a splash screen that makes people think something is being downloaded. Also, the timed delivery does not display the e-mail in the same format as the original. I happen to employ a distinctive format which would be lost.
           It also has a feature to scramble the e-mail. It works on the same principle. Instead of the recipient receiving the message, he gets a private key, which he uses to open the message back on my server. To prevent the key from being reused, you delete the message same as before. Each e-mail can use a different password. A lot of people still do not know that an message is encrypted only if both the transmitter and receiver are configured right.
           This call-back system is a little cumbersome, but seems the only viable solution since other people who are fully aware their e-mails are going to be used against them do not want to change their e-mail address. It’s like refusing to change your house number even if you know the mob is coming for you. I understand some people have advertising attached to their addy, but by not changing to a secure system, the only make things worse.

ADDENDUM
           As I hack down the grass in the far back yard, I find pieces like this. They are components of ancient mechanical pinball machines. By now, I’ve said how my neighbor fixes these things up. Note how every metal component has corroded except the copper. The inner cores are carbonized iron, so the solenoid action has long since seized up. An old pinball factory would be a happy place for robot builders. The advantage of not using microchips to control anything has advantages
           I can’t get started, I’m wasting valuable time here. Something tells me I’m going to regret not getting under my house and finishing up at least the plumbing so I can lay the new bathroom floor permanently. It’s still just covered with plywood like the photos you’ve seen back in August. Blog rules say I have to record any time I find such an obvious slowdown. Maybe I do need a lengthy break, but I just had one.

           Later, I able to produce videos up to five minutes long, which is more than sufficient for my plans. The Reb sees the advertising potential, so how about we focus on a max length of say 150 seconds and just don’t say anything. I dunno about you but 60 seconds of today’s advertising is pretty close to all I can stomach. Within the hour I sent four videos back west for evaluation and the sound quality is great. Naturally, the video is smoother because it is not a gif. The remaining problem is I cannot edit the raw footage except for cutting out portions. I had to use a crack on some Japanese software, but justified “stealing” it because they advertised it as “free”. So I made it free.

Last Laugh