Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, January 24, 2020

January 24, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 24, 2019, car eats tape measures.
Five years ago today: January 24, 2015, Patton who?
Nine years ago today: January 24, 2011, today, I soldered.
Random years ago today: January 24, 2004, un-openable packaging.

           This is a Florida sunset as I test the “dark” feature of my camera. I don’t like it. The pictures either come out darker than it actually is, or unnaturally brighter. Still here is a gif I call Venus & Fire. The sky isn’t really that purplish-blue. It was a rare cloudless Florida day, which I used to get some of the yard work caught up. That spot that grew the natural collard greens now has a row of carrots and two of radishes. The carrots are ready in 68 days, the radishes a lot sooner. The hillbilly and I tried to get the chickens to coop by themselves. No dice. So, we do it the hard way, but it’s for their own good. He’s also seen that fox again. But move fast, the word is another cold spell is moving in.

           So,how goes the trailer scam? I found half the territory blanketed with ads for that same trailer, but with different pictures, some of the flipped horizontally. I learned that people can be banned from CL (Craigslist) but you cannot find out who. However, your first clue is they list their contact information on an uploaded picture instead of the regular contact fields, and that was the case here. It’s got to be a scam because anybody who falls for it figures to buy it and flip it for quadruple the price. I’ll watch the ad. My next discovery is that on my CoolPad Surf, the Internet connection is separate from the log-on feature. If you want to view such things as gigabytes remaining or other stats, you must activate the account which involves giving them a lot of information.
           Instead, I read the manual carefully. It is intentionally confusing, making you think you must have an account. But the device has a series of signals that give you the same information. For instance, when you have used half your data allocation, the data light changes from green to yellow. If you are near out, it changes to red. I take it most people don’t read the instructions. I looked at the “required fields” on the log-in page and those bastards can go tap dance in a minefield. The modem itself is well-designed and is very conservative with power and data when in idle mode. I found you can plug it in and just leave it. Unplugged, it lasts around five hours.

Picture of the day.
Police bagpipe band.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           This is my washing machine and I just broke it. I threw in the usual load, but it was work clothes from the back yard, with that jet black dirt. It clogged the drainage pump, which could be a difficult fix. Anyway, here, take a look at this puppy in action. It’s a Della, you can buy them at Wal*Mart, I picked this one up brand new for around $40 from this guy who wanted to see me his PA system, but I already own three. I almost bought his roto-tiller, too. And that guitar player from Craigslist responded, finally. He sent me his song list and we are an instant band—if he decides to follow through. He apparently sings, but I usually take that to mean barely until shown otherwise. If he can sing twenty songs, that’s more than enough for use to strike out after a single rehearsal.
           I connected up the dryer circuit. I know, it took forever to get around to it. Part of it is the location makes it difficult to install a big enough electrical box to stuff those 240V wires back in. Ah, tomorrow I’ll invest in one of those waterproof outdoor boxes just to get it out of the way. I’ve basically done without that dryer for some six months. Actually only three, because of all the time I was out of town. Now here’s something different. I found working with the cedar fence pickets quite easy. My new bathroom has some new fixtures, but does not even pretend to be some ultra-modern renovation. The closet (toilet) sets in an enclave of its own and I got to thinking.
What if I paneled that area in so it looks like the interior of an old outhouse. It would be easy to do with the new table saw and make it one of a kind in most ways. I’ve got another few days of that plumbing to run in. True, that is taking forever, but remember I had most of it done before making two major changes. One was to relocate the entire laundry facilities. The other was decided to move the entire kitchen to the opposite wall rather then even trying to update that iron piping.

           The proliferation of devices [around here] means I may have to get some sort of better recharging system. Including the Bluetooth™ keyboard and my portable battery, I now require 12 ports. The way I operate, most of them need recharging overnight, that is, at the same time. When I ran out today, I got stuck watching another documentary on the Boer War, this time from the viewpoint of English correspondents who thought the war was wrong, a waste of money, and politically motivated reporters like Winston Churchill were liars. I learned that until the Falklands, the Boer war was the largest battle fought in the southern hemisphere.
           There was a tendency to compare British military conduct to the last big engagement, which had been the siege at Sevastopol. Against the Boer, who they often outnumbered seven to one, the English were losing more men per week than they had in their entire colonial wars. It was a good thing that the Boers were unfamiliar with their brand new artillery and often didn’t set the fuses right. The biggest mistake of the English commanders was regarding the Boer as just more African tribes to be mowed down in senseless human wave attacks. The British also had a strange tendency to try to recapture artillery pieces lost to the enemy. The problem with that funny idea was that target shooting was the Boer national sport.

           Ah, who warned the world against HP printers so long ago? It seems they’ve carried their printer ink scam to the next level. The first thing I ever criticized them for was raising the price of cartridges to over $20, now closer to $30. This means they make a million dollars off each barrel (55 gal) of ink. Now, they have this ink subscription service. You pay a fixed amount for ink depending on your usage. There’s your first flag, allowing shifty people like HP to monitor your doings. Anyway, it seems that the idea is when they determine you need more ink, they send you a new cartridge. The problem is, if you discontinue to monthly plan, your printer won’t work, even if there is still ink in the existing cartridge.
           This is the inherent scam that began with computers and has become commonplace through millennial complacency. Why millennial? Because neither myself or anybody I know would pay full retail price for things we don’t own. These days you can’t turn around without hearing of some blantant rip-off in this category. I didn’t follow it, but some stereo company sold out and all their speakers quit working. I have enough problems with things quitting on me without signing up for the plan. Today my relatively new DVD player quit reading. The laser gets misaligned. I know because I isolated the problem very quickly like only an old telephone.hand can.
           Once again, my disgust is not with the laser heads getting misaligned, but the fact that they even still make decks that can. All disk readers should easily be self-adjusting by now. It is truly appalling how little the “greatest generation” has accomplished.

Last Laugh