Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, January 6, 2020

January 6, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 6, 2019, bigger and wilder.
Five years ago today: January 6, 2015, a greasy grimy job.
Nine years ago today: January 6, 2011, a 2222, it was.
Random years ago today: January 6, 2008, I visit Palm Beach.

           Finally a warm day, the pets and I spent the late morning in the yard. That includes JeePee, the turtle, so warm enough that he didn’t go into hibernation. Confirm, the blue guitar will not hold in tune, usually meaning the bridge is coming loose. I’m not surprised, since it is a classical design but with steel strings instead of nylon. Dylan, that’s the name of the guitarist from downtown, I called him and he sold me this baby in perfect shape except the strings are shot. As luck and $8.99 plus tax would have it, II’ve got a set of brand new DR Neons I can swap out.
           I ran out of time today by noon, but as far as I know Monty and I will be getting together tomorrow for his first guitar coaching. I hesitate to call them lessons, since that would be the blind leading the blind. If it works out, he knows he’s getting the crash course in bands and music—and will never go hungry from this point onward no matter how bad things get. Seriously, that’s more important than a retirement plan, considering how those funds have been handled. And the claim that so many millions of jobs have been created. Yeah, minimum wage scunge jobs.

           The only thing I accomplished was repairing another birdhouse and fixing the gate to the shed. The idea for now is Sparkie only thinks it is a gate and doesn’t try to open it. That won’t last long and I’m trying to figure how I sink a gatepost into that cold, cold, ground. If I don’t find a solution in the next 48 hours or so, it can wait until next trip. The character that lives next door has an excellent van parked in his yard. It turns out he had some trouble with the title, and like a lot of people, does not have the money, time, and patience to go through with the abandoned vehicle registration process. However, if he’s okay with it staying parked there, I can just wait out the title process.
           Reb had mentioned the van before, but he’s got another one, sort of a clunker. I thought she meant that one. Wait for pictures, but the idea of a vehicle here in Tennessee puts a different dimension on how I get here. I’m frankly getting concerned over the high mileage on the station wagon. It was supposed to last me five years and I wonder if it will make it even one more. Anyway, it’s all good, let’s move on, play a little guitar, sing a song or two. Music-wise, I’m not aiming for anything like perfection—and my observation shows that is a market niche in this town with a lot of potential.

Picture of the day.
Cape Cod.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Reb's back from out west and we got caught in the airport rush hour. That’s it. She needed recovery time, so I went out to the pub for a few, my first getaway this year. The good news is the guitar strings were only tarnished. They sound great and the neck action is perfect. Monty and I have a scheduled meet-up tomorrow, but I don’t thing between us we have a place to rehearse. It can’t be here and I didnt’ think to ask what he had.

ADDENDUM
           Elliott was on the phone, we were discussing bands. He’d read my mention of Bedouin Soundclash, the total millennial band from Canada. That’s what I meant by government-approved. They sound like they were put together for the role. Kind of one-of-each type of band. So we had a lengthy discussion of how music has changed. We agree the most outstanding feature of millennial bands is that they are so forgettable. A close second is that these bands all play pop music,
           As Elliott says, pop music is 90% crap, and when mixed with millennials, it’s 99.9% crap. As for good millennial bands, we both find the ones that embrace music roots (rock, blues, country, gospel) are musically the best. We both independently picked Larkin Poe as the best example. I did not know they were now in Nashville until he mentioned it. I’ll try to see them live, but their site says March. I have to be in Miami in March. Just you watch, I’ll miss them.

           In another topic, Larkin Poe was the name of their great-great-something grandfather. My corresponding ancestor was probably born in the 1600s and probably no birth certificate. While my family tree goes back to 1100, there are definite gaps. I from one of the branches that “got lost” immigrating to Texas before it was a Republic. The bottom line is if I don’t get rich and famous, there is zero chance of anyone else in my family amounting to a thing. Elliott says since everybody believes the Internet is immortal, this blog will be discovered.
           This blog, he continues, will be hailed as the last and greatest work of the age that brought us the computer. All other works will be tainted by political correctness, Common Core indoctroids, and the self-loathing of the liberals “once they wake up”. He may have a point.

Last Laugh