Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

January 7, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 7, 2019, scattered data.
Five years ago today: January 7, 2015, 26 is still a lot.
Nine years ago today: January 7, 2011, trust the tip jar.
Random years ago today: January 7, 2007, Theresa, before the fall.

           Cold again. Face it, I turned out to be a wuss when it comes to winter weather. Back at the cabin, the usual winter day is 60°F and I like it. Nothing to report today. I went to the lumberyard for hardware. Drilled six pilot holes. Installed a brace on the lawn swing and invited the Reb on a painting date. What? That’s a date where we put on old clothes and paint the lawn swing. Last night we went on shopping date, and after that a doggie walking date. The fact is, we go on more dates than all the married couples in the neighborhood combined. I only mention this because I’m certain nobody notices.
           Here’s the fat cat. She’s on a permanent diet but still stays this plump, seemingly forever. I know the feeling. This is another photo you did not see, if you get my drift. I’m telling you, this cat is an eating-sleeping machine that consumes more calories than she uses. It’s a mathematical equation, look for yourself. And there is no evidence to support the rumor that Clay, the guitar player, has named this cat the HMS Kursk.

           Since I have no filler of my own, here is a partial compilation of SB Nation’s most stupid life events: drunk ping-pong, east St. Louis, boat shoes, swing dancing, orange paint, Chinese cop fight, sockless interview, rock climbing, fences, oyster soup, Mike ‘n Ikes, goatees, and stairwells. How about the top ten bad Halloween treats: vegetables, raisins, fig newtons, popcorn balls, fruit slices, crackers, dental floss, toothpaste, pretzels, and apples. Okay, one more. According to Dumb.com, here are the ten dumbest people in history, but it doesn’t say in which order. Kim Kardashian, Miley Cyrus, Justin Beiber, Alana “Honey Boo Boo” Thompson, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Sarah Palin, Kristen Stewart, Nick Minaj, and Paris Hilton.

Picture of the day.
Chinese anti-suicide nets.
(At iPhone factory.)
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           A quote from my pal out West, where there are still more taxpayers than welfare cases:

           These Libtard clowns are all clamoring over each other to see who can give away the most free stuff. Elizabeth Warren has promised Free Health Care (including for illegal immigrants), Free University Education, Cancel Student Loans, Free Child Care, Reparation Payments to Blacks, Reparation Payments to Natives, Reparation Payments to Border Jumpers (separated from their kids) plus put them in the front of line for citizenship . . . Someone needs to build a website and catalog what each of these clowns has promised and how much it will cost taxpayers.

           The wind picked up again. I could barely stand it long enough to finish screwing the extra braces on that lawn swing. If I didn’t know better I’d say the dogs were shivering. They finally figured out how to open the gate. As soon as I design a way to secure it shut until Spring, I’m heading across the mountains into warmer weather.
           I found this most un-Reb like book and gave it the speed-read. It was sci-fi about a planet inhavited by human clones that gets gets attacked by real humans. I’m reading it and while was interesting, I could see a lot of Star Wars and Indiana Jones influences. Village gets wiped out, teens trudge across the war zone to distant city, split up, and spend the rest of the story getting back together. Imaginative, but in a predictable way. Then the Reb walks in the door and says it was written by a 15-year-old over here in Mt. Juliet. The book is “Vagabonds”, by Robert Midgett. A remarkable book by someone that age, but not that remarkable otherwise. The book was more spell-checked than proofread, so you get a lot of Internet-like typos and missing connectives.
           I recommend the book but as lite reading. Understandably, the plot is influenced by concerns of our time, which date it within the Internet era. I doubt people on distant planets and war zones in 500 years will be all that pre-occupied slave guilt and political correctness. The book is revealing of teen perspectives on adult issues and is a chilling reminder that most wars are fought by teenage soldiers. I was impressed by the historical detail and hope the guy follows up.

           [Author’s note: I was unable to find any other books by this author, who by now would be in his early twenties. There are plenty of sources, however, that relate the story of how his third-grade teacher tore up his first story, saying it was too violent. Alas, he doesn’t give the teacher’s name, which I would gladly have published along with details of his/her subsequent career. Or most likely, the lack of it.]

ADDENDUM
           This segment is written in two batches. Before and after. Monty and I have a scheduled meet-up at 7:00PM, but have not decided where. This won’t be a big problem, because these are not music lessons. I’m just giving him pointers on what to play and the rest he can get from other sources. I’ve stated before that to play rhythm guitar, the skill level is only around that of a second grade piano student. No need to knock yourself out. A lot of what’s going on is presentation, and that, well, just watch what I do and keep up the pace.
           Hmmmm, he canceled out. Not a good sign. Don’t matter, I have an excellent guitar because of it. I’ve give it one more try, but that’s it. Getting ahead is not something you can do whenever you feel like it. The guy has a lot of promise. I know about environment. I wonder which will win out.

Last Laugh