Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

March 17, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: March 17, 2019, turkey for the doggies.
Five years ago today: March 17, 2015, studying capacitors.
Nine years ago today: March 17, 2011, the four clues.
Random years ago today: March 17, xxxx, WIP

           I’m back, with a tale or two from the trailercourt. I was away early, taking Highway 111, even with the GPS one wrong turn found me in Minnville. Maybe not a total loss as I believe I saw a sign saying Dottie West was from there. The big story is on the way up I joked about how there really wasn’t a town at Cagle in Tennessee. Just a gas station and some houses strung along the road. Cagle is now on my map, a hillbilly sideswiped my car. This extent of damage on a car as old as mine is considered a write off. Now the details.
           This collision is easy to imagine, which is good because the video footage won’t make it anywhere near hear until some cash changes hand. Imagine you are on a four-lane with no median. Three cars ahead of you as to top a hill with a curve to the left. You can see the curve, but not beyond the crest of the hill. Suddenly the cars ahead of you swerve to the shoulder, and suspecting roadkilll, you do the same.

           Uh-oh. They could see over the hill, I couldn’t. A late model Nissan was coming straight ahead at full speed, the driver asleep at the wheel. And, being last in line, he is heading straight for at 90mph. I was still doing 45 or 50. I braked so he would slip past he, but he was really coming and I dared not hit the horn in case he woke up and instinctively turned right into me. So I turned to the left hard and fast. But not enough, he went past ahead of me left to right, but caught my real body panels as shown here. That piece with the worst damage is an body part that extends completely over the roof the car to the front, easily the most expensive body panel
           The crunch was mild enough that I knew there was no body damage. I won’t explain now, but I should have kept on going. Except, my engine conked out. I had completely forgotten about that sensor that trips the fuel pump. The other driver was still not awake, a hilllbilly roughly age 30, but so bearded it was hard to tell. He went down the 30 foot ditch through the muddy grass, sideswiped a telephone pole, went up over a 15 foot high driveway entering the highway, and came to rest another 60 feet past. He should have been dead but he walked away. WAIT A DAY OR TWO FOR THE PHOTO TO CLEAR AND YOU WILL SEE HIM WATCHING THE END OF HIS BRAND NEW NISSAN.

           By this time I noticed my body panel, shown here, was crunched in enough to just touch the tire, so between the dead motor and this, I was still there where the police arrived and had to fill out all the reports, and worse, give my personal information. TMOR, yes, the police in America are what you see in the conspiracy movies, minus the cowboy image they have of themselves. They were “helpful” but only in the sense that I cooperated with everything. They saw I had a station wagon full of tools, musical instruments, and video equipment. Enough to make life rough on me if they wanted. Even with the freedoms we enjoy in this country, there are no defenses against a cop who’s looking for trouble.
           There may be more on this depending on the settlement, but the hillbilly did not have his insurance card. However, to my knowledge you cannot finance a Nissan without carrying insurance and I’m about to find out how accurate that is. I got back on the road within two hours, but you’ll have to return for details of how that happened. This was 35 miles in the middle of nowhere and the gas station sold only gas and sandwiches. The nearest body shop was a tow-truck ride to Dunlap, Tennessee. But, I was in luck starting with the towtruck driver who showed me where the gas reset button was and refused any payment. Ah, he must be Mennonite. Read on.

Picture of the day.
Texas rice with ripe plantains.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           How does Minnville tie into this? Well, lost as I was in the rain and fog, I could tell I by the manicured pastures, I was in Mennonite territory. I was on Baker Mountain Road. Fast forward a half-hour. After unsuccessfully trying to pry the bent fender housing away from the tire with a two-by-four, I spotted a stone mason yard. I limped the car in there and sure enough there was one guy working in the rain. When he saw how embarrassed I was to ask for help, he came to the rescue. I’m convinced I was still among Mennonites.
           We repeatedly trying to lever the panel out, just enough so I could drive. It kept springing back. It was starting to rain and time was running out. He decided to quit horsing around. Shown here, he brought up a fork life. With me positioning the hook, we pulled the rim back into place. He would not let me pay. This has the new nickname of "The Tennessee Tractor Pull". BWAAA-ha-ha-ha.
           I was back on the road nearly three hours late. This is a demonstration of a couple concepts. Firstly that no Mennonite is ever stranded. And secondly, let this serve as a snide referral to millies who are stranded and panicky because their cell battery went dead and now their smart car won’t start. Quick, somebody find a counselor. That is just so boo-hoo for them. Bunch‘a snowflakes. Smart, my eye.

           The delay found me driving after dark through northern Florida. Not fun. Around Gainesville, the traffic stacked up. Nearly an hour later, a single land opened past one of the weirdest incidents I’ve ever seen. You know those mini-fans they use for deliveries? There were around five of them at the roadside being blocking the two right lands. For no apparent reason they were tying up twenty miles of traffic. Was is a road crew? The road wasn’t broken. People that inconvenience others never seek to make their jobs faster and safer through innovation. They focus on putting out more and more cones and taking more and more time.
           The strangeness was the vans. There may have been more in the dark, but I saw at least two that had identical weirdness. The driver’s side door was missing, discounting that this could be an accident. Is saw at least tow, trundling along circus parade style. As I passed, I could see though the missing doors I saw a man in each cab steering. The vans were all painted a reddish dark qinger color, a matching set. Also, the vehicles were equipped with flashing lights. Whoever was blocking that road was doing it on purpose.
           I got to thinking, maybe it was a situation where the driver had to repeatedly exit the vehicle, and the door was in the way. That would not be practical in the Florida weather, but people are strange, and the third worst of the lot wind up in Florida. Behind New York and Hawaii. I’ve heard rumors that state would like to modernize, but can’t due to the mini-IQ of their employees.

ADDENDUM
           I arrived in Lakeland to an empty town. It seems the state governor closed all clubs and pubs. I didn’t know he had that kind of power, even closing the veteran’s clubs. Something about telling people to stay six feet apart. As with all American law, there are exceptions. Restaurants are open. Sick, stupid, sneezing people don’t go to restaurants seems to be the philosophy. All the world, they say, is in lockdown. Yep, at least that part of the world who has “smart phones”. This virus thing has gone absurd.
           If there was ever cause for small business owners to unite and form a front, now they’ve got it. But it won’t happen soon enough to save thousands of them. Goof after liberal goof is getting on TV and saying this thing should last 8 weeks. Most small businesses can’t. The talk show hosts are already pointing out how the people announcing and supporting the scare are the same gang that just failed at impeachment.

           This struck me odd. You see, unlike the previous methods, including the Ukraine, the tax return, the Russian thing, the impeachment, and who knows what else, this attack Trump is very well-thought out and coordinated. There is strategy there that I didn’t think they were capable of, not after repeatedly proving themselves a pack of bumbling idiots. Most people figured out the leftists were trying anything, but this one stuck. Think of the amazing political logic here.
           If the virus is contained, they can claim it was because they stepped in where Trump failed. If the virus spreads, they’ll claim it was because Trump didn’t move fast enough. Sadly, a few recent interviews show Trump is caught this time. He’s talking and reacting as if the situation was his fault. The liberals finally found something they can stab him with and turn the knife. There is joy in the Democrat camp tonight.

           [Author’s note: I am not saying the virus is a hoax. I have studied the evolutionary roll of viruses and their interaction with human DNA. There is no protection other than acquired or inherited immunities, and 5% to 20% of the population will eventually get the coronavirus. Some will die. The hoax to which I refer is the politicizing of the disease.
           The liberals have the perfect weapon. Just as you cannot condemn illegal immigration without them calling you a racist, you cannot contradict their anti-Trump rhetoric without them saying you called the virus a hoax. That’s the way they operate, misdirection is their forte.
           For the record, I don’t believe either Trump or Hannity said any disease was a hoax. They obviously meant the Democrats using the virus as an excuse to shut down his booming economy is a hoax. No matter anybody does, 5% to 20% of the population will get the virus and the weakest 6.3% will have complications including [but not necessarily] death.]


Last Laugh
(Millennial marketing.)