Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, March 28, 2020

March 28, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: March 28, 2019, Kayla lies, Kayla loses.
Five years ago today: March 28, 2015, remember the pot Trace?
Nine years ago today: March 28, 2011, Google disables videos.
(Another blog anniversary coicidence.)
Random years ago today: March 28, xxxx, WIP

           It’s official, I was able to reset the password on the original Tales From The Trailer Court account. That was so long ago and it (the account) was never used. One message in 14 years consisting of an idiotic code from the Google Goofs. Those people will never learn. Welcome to summer, I spent the day keeping out of the sun. This centered on the bathroom, which still lacks the medicine cabinets until I find out if they will clear both the fixtures and the sink. It seems what I do when taking a break is more exciting, face it, renovations don’t make for bestsellers.
           Over to Agt. R’s to borrow the fender mender tools. To give an idea how effective on-line experts are, I did not know of the existence or the anvil shaped piece until he walked it over. I watched maybe eight so-called professionals, none showed this tool. Tricky to see, it is that metal object I’m holding bottom left.

           The blog anniversay is one of those coincidences present in this blog where a topic long forgotten comes up again on exactly the same day years later. Such it is with video blogs. It was this day in 2012 that Google removed the video feature. Actually, they may have said just use a youTube link, but there are many reasons this blog avoids doing just that. Anyway, I know the blog video was moved to y’day’s post, but the original discovery was today, eight years ago. And you would not believe how many “near misses” there are with other dates.

           Top story is, as predicted here, the first law suit against store closures has finally occurred. It is the NRA in California suing, again as predicted, the Governor himself. The gun stores say they are an essential business, but I doubt that is what is going on. This is aimed at politicos who used the virus scare to grab at more power and they should be tasked for it. Nothing would please me more than to hear of a state governor bankrupted by paying for the damage he caused. This is pure Second Amendment stuff, but if it curbs political power, I’m for it.
           What’s this the left is freaking because Trump called one of their pet journalists a libtard? Poor babies, they can dish it out but they can’t take it. One of Trump’s strengths is that he isn’t a politician and doesn’t give a hoot about the mental midgets who play that game. I say a journalist doesn’t get called something by the President for no reason. Nor is “libtard” an outdated or retired term as the people who are most offended by it like to bleat. It is short for “liberal retard”, defined by the Urban Dictionary as an individual whose thinking process is impaired, and a failure to understand the world does not owe lazy or stupid people a living.

           The water inlet valve on the washer is broken. That could doom it, the replacement valve ranges between $61 to $83, unknown because the washer had no easily identifiable model number. Way to go, Whirlpool. Don’t write it off yet, there may be hope since it is only the hot water side that’s hooped. His wild cherry tree is dropping berries faster than he can pick them. They taste like grapes when mature, he said, just squeeze the juice out in your mouth and spit out the skin and stone. Um, I think my peaches are going to taste much better.
           Back here, I left the attic fan on full blast. The trouble to install that was one wise decision. I still can’t find the glitch in the kitchen lights, so if the attic cools enough after dark, I may crawl up there. It is so nice to be able to leave the ladder in place, shown here. That bathroom floor essentially took three months to get after, which is half the time I was even around. We’ll begin to see other tasks completed that were put on hold and one of them is completing that attic. The wiring, and the far end of the back bedroom still needs insulation. Remember that monster fan I slated for my shop vacuum? That would make one deadly attic unit, the volume it moves is, in theory, twenty times more than the other. But would I just be drawing my own air-conditioning out of the living area?

           That’s the other consideration. If that fan will work as a vacuum, it has enough spunk left over to ventilate the sheds to near indoor conditions. I had already considered piping for the “Roman” cooling system. That’s where the pipes are buried in the cool ground and use convection to draw air from a shady part of the yard. The cool air is drawn by the low pressure created by a series of metal “chimneys” that exit upward. It may sound elaborate, but it is relatively cheap and easy.
           Did I go to Wal*Mart. Yes, and I saw Wal*Mart people. We have them, even this far in the toolies. Agt. R insists my yard soil will respond to a sprinkling of lime. Couldn’t find any. Is it really lime? And why isn’t there naturally a lot of it since Florida is itself an old limestone reef? Are they the same thing? Too bad they closed the library. I’m too weary of on-line authorities to waste time even looking for what they have to say. No, I didn’t continue my quest for the destination of the mystery backyard pipe. You’d have to be nuts to set foot in a metal shed on a day like this. How about tomorrow I see if I can find an owner’s manual for that extreme fan.
           Back to the bathroom, the old cloth insulated wiring is just too brittle. I’d hoped to salvage it for at least any part a future inspector might look. No way, the weave crumbles in your hand. This adds even more time if I have to re-run cables through the walls. What say I look at that when I’m next up the ladder. And didn’t Agt. R say he’s got an extra drum to collect that sawdust?

Picture of the day.
51 day cruise.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here’s a view of the new bathroom wall, sans medicine cabinets. That mirror is temporary, along with the tools and sundry items on the counter. Pretty fancy, huh? Let me see if I can find a picture of the previous arrangement. This wall has a curious side effect. I often worked on the blog using the WiFi at the Fubar. This view, even before it was this okay drew a lot of compliments. Makes me wonder what shape the other Polk county bathrooms might be in. Well I’ll be. I cannot find the motherlode of pictures from the early days of this house.
           The video embed capability tested here today has possibilities. Normally I produce one or two very short clips per week. I have a backlog of around 60 that would be candidates for blog publishing. Do you think I should include, say, one a week. Maybe instead of the Friday Picture of the Day. That link is getting progressively harder to keep stocked. Part of the hassle is the new picture format that includes several pages of techno-babble along with the link. I’m not putting any of that on this blog before I find out what it is for. My guess is copyright information.

           It took another four hours to run in the second bathroom light switch. That one I can blame on bad planning. The way it worked out, I had to split one circuit into two using an ordinary double box. That’s nine wires tucked into a small space. It works. But Boss Hogg (radio station) got my goat. You Saturday nights are supposed to be a lot of non-stop classics. Fooled me. Once more, the influence of that jazz lady carries over into the regular programming. Or at least sounds like it.
           I grew up listening to the radio, it’s hard to find a song I didn’t hear at the time. Thusforth, I settled in for a long evening of classic country and lite rock. Instead I got hours of weird-ass pop rock. Stuff that should never have made the rock or country charts. Old ladies singing about pleasing their men, this was not a top-selling music trend among teens of my era. You would be hard-pressed to find a hit song I never heard at the time. But Boss Hogg does it regularly. I made popcorn and coffee, one of my treats, and hear dull music. Not my idea of a great Saturday night at home.

ADDENDUM
           For wrap-up this evening, you get the redacted text from my e-mail to Seattle this evening. It concerns Forex trading and is about the so-called “free training” available on-line. You know, the tutorials written by tutorial “professionals” who have never actually done the work or used the software themselves. That’s not their job, so to speak.

“I'm in the training session for the Forex trading and talk about a bunch of millenialized crap.  It's billed as a webinar on how to use the software, but the first twenty minutes she was still talking about how their company was not responsible if anything went wrong.  And spewing Gen XYZ business philosophy, for those I suppose who have not already heard enough bullshit.  To give an idea of how this works on me, I asked the host, Fran, what button do I click on to activate the software.  She says we are not finished with the orientation yet, and I says you aren’t but I am.  So I start in the upper left corner and start clicking on every icon.  She goes ballistic, what am I doing?  That's easy Nan, since you won't me what button to push, I'll figure it out on my own.  She says what if you mess up the system?  I says, relax, from what I just learned, you can't be held responsible.

“From what I figure, it is an "expert assistant" system, a lesser-known offshoot of artificial intelligence that makes decisions based on what worked well in the past.  I recognize the shoddy programming from my early experience with accounting software.  This is where instead of utilizing the power of the computer to innovate (which requires intangibles like motivation, education, etc), they "computerize" a manual system.  Anyone who has tried using video editing software can testify how well that concept works.  This is not true A.I., but more "curve-fitting" that is usually limited by the imagination of the coder.  It appears to work because it can comb through more and larger scenarios a few million times faster than your average human.  That's mainly because it never blinks.

“It seems you turn the script on Sunday, let it run until Wednesday, then based on trends and options, select which currency you'd like to speculate on.  I deem this to be useful, but more so to me because I simply don't have the time to do it manually any more.  Will it work?  Yes, because any system, even a bad one, will outperform people who try to wing it.  The market is a closed system, everybody's gain is somebody else's loss.  Thus, I'm curious to see if intelligence is allowed to play a part.  Most business models are based on preventing smart people from taking advantages.  Anyone trying to run a business that uses true brain thrust in Florida would likely be breaking some law.

“The problem is the software is a mess.  Huge learning curve and the support, it turns out, consists mainly of a lame and ceaseless sales pitch.  However, I'll get it because I know exactly how stupid people think.  I don't know what they think, but I know the common traits.  And this software was some kind of team effort, nomsayn?

Last Laugh