Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, March 7, 2020

March 7, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: March 7, 2019, the Jensen Project, gag!
Five years ago today: March 7, 2015, the all-purpose excuse.
Nine years ago today: March 7, 2011, a nutritional program, actually.
Random years ago today: March 7, 2001, why saloons were walk-in.

           This morning, talk about freezing cold in spite of the thermometer reading 50F, the boys and I drove to the recycle. There is big storm damage along that route, so the gawkers slow everything down. This trip was mostly to recycle tin cans. Since I travel and am away from home a lot, I tend to generate more empty cans. Those who cannot connect why are probably reading the wrong blog again. I got past the plaza and in the light of day it may have been mostly damage to the west-facing sides of the buildings.
           The parking lot was fairly full, so I pulled in and walked to the door. At that point you see a sign saying the store won’t open until tomorrow. I paused to take a picture and some dude with a nametag walks out and stands in front of the sign. I asked him why they didn’t put the sign out near the road so people didn’t waste time parking and walking up to the tiny sign on the door? He was stunned.
           So I said, buddy, I won’t leave you hanging. The answer is because that would be non-millennial. Again, if you don’t get it, wrong blog. I reserve the right to insult stupid people. Could be I have a mandate to do so. It’s the only way most public school people ever learn about real life, so I’m actually a community service.

           The wrench set I bought, shown here, had one of the two sizes needed to change that router bit. The way the set was packaged, I could not test the larger size. When I got it home, it was missing not one, but two sizes that would have worked. If you look closely, the sizes are pretty consistently increasing until you hit 14mm. Then it skips two sizes to 17mm. Sure enough, a 15mm or 16mm would work, because I have several back home that fit my motorcycle bolts. So, I’m shafted by the system again unless I can find something alternative.

           Here’s a view of the most damaged section. It looked a candidate for demolition, but I can see the repair vehicles and the restaurant sign has been put back up. There were a lot of caged animals in the pet store, but I know from hurricanes that hit the Miami zoo, these have a very high survival rate. Especially if they get out into the wild and form a breeding population.
           With the doggies sound asleep in the car once the sun came out, I went shopping at the Goodwill. Major lineups, as I forgot this is half-price Saturday. People hauling shopping carts of stuff out the door. I found a Chinese alarm clock, a copy of an old US design, and it seems to work well. I use a clock for diet time. After it rings, no more food till next morning. And brand new in the box, a weather station. That’s the monitor for my chicken coop. It even has a USB charging port. Be nice and I’ll get you pictures.

           Trivia. The US national debt is around $23 trillion and we are worried China’s debt is $40 trillion and they aren’t. But the Trump tariffs have sobered them up considerably. They were borrowing money to dump products below cost on the US to drive the competition out of business. Everybody knows only Bill Gates is allowed to do that.

Picture of the day.
Part of the vote auction.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           It turned nice just after noon, so the turtle is in the cage. Strange thing, instinct. This turtle cage is a paradise compared to the aquarium He never ceases trying to find an escape route for the first couple hours. He checks every joint, every corner, again and again. Then he’ll find a sunny spot for a snooze, and back at it, searching endlessly. If turtles can play, maybe he’s playing. Because he’s learned where the pigeons will land after I spread the seed and will stop to watch them, crawling along to keep as near them as he can.
           I had planned a full day for Tuesday, the day the power went out. This backlogged everything and I still haven’t caught up. Only one thing to do, watch a pre-siesta movie. I picked a good one, “Murder of Crows” (1999). Seems well-done for it’s time, but I got a laugh out of the dial telephones, CRT monitors, and old Apple software. The plot isn’t that novel, a lawyer who frames himself by plagiarizing a book, but the presentation is top-notch.

           What’s with this kerfuffle over the guy who told the Supreme Court they would bear the consequences of their decision? This is something that could be said to anyone over any situation. Maybe he was not diplomatic enough for snowflake tastes, but that is the era we’ve moved nicely away from. No more liberal stifling of opposition by attacking the words instead of the meaning. They say he called them out and I say so what? There should be nobody in the USA above being called out, especially anyone who makes repeated mistakes (although I don’t know if that would apply here). And while there probably should be a Supreme Court, in the USA there are no Supreme beings, and that includes court justices.
           What’s more, I’ve often been on the side of wrongly convicted people to sue their prosecutors. Because it if they are innocent, it necessarily means justice was miscarried and those who were the conveyors must have it on their records just as sure as their victim will always have the conviction on theirs. No group should be above the consequences of their actions, but too many lawyers who’ve repeatedly wrongly convicted have gone to rise through the ranks. This is unacceptable in the public eye. The law is already too one-sided without even considering guilt or innocence. Nor am I on the side of lawyers who get bad guys off on technicalities, but that is a separate issue.

ADDENDUM
           I told you how I attract losers. I almost got a video today, so close. I’ll tell you how it works. If I stand still, an idiot will come stand next to me. This extends to walking the dogs. I do this randomly, based on how soon they like to go out after breakfast, which can be anywhere from 6:00AM to 9:30AM. There are two types of walk. The one where we go around the neighborhood, the other when we get in the car and go to the lake.
           From where I normally sit to read, I can see the who and what on the street. Therefore, I know it is very rare for either neighbor to walk their dogs unless they see me walk mine first. If we do the neighborhood, the next door guy will get his dog out in the time it takes to walk up past his place, where the dogs snarl and he acts like he’s ill done by. When we take the car, the neighbor across the street gets his dog out for the same reaction—because he knows I don’t leash the dogs if we are just going to the car. Both these characters time their walks to create the maximum barking fits.
           Now I know some libtard is going to say it is all just coincidence. Really? But let’s suppose it is, that these guys stop what they are doing, harness up their dogs, and get out on the street only when I do. If that were the case, since I’m always there first, it would be a matter of them holding on for say, 90 seconds, until we are past or away. But no. I hate losers. The libtard view says maybe they haven’t figured it out yet, but I just finished saying the same thing: losers.

Last Laugh