Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, April 20, 2020

April 20, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 20, 2019, required reading.
Five years ago today: April 20, 2015, empty-handed.
Nine years ago today: April 20, 2011, multiplexing anniversary coincidence.
Random years ago today: April 20, 2018, it just takes two.

           From the blog that dares, this is an anemic radish from my front yard. It’s the makings of a radish, alright, but should have been ready for harvest last month. The problem, I believe, is that in the early morning and late afternoon, this garden does not receive full sunlight. The plants are slow growing, but this is proof they can and will grow in this weird sandy soil. The new planter boxes will be in full sunlight all day long.
           The Auvoria Prime trading is shut down for the week. We made the 3% in 11 hours. This is cause for happiness, but there are still things not right. I’m making sense of the procedure and one choice is more important than the rest. It is whether you want to reach a fixed weekly goal, or enable a feature called trailing equity. The 3% is intuitive to beginners. However, I purposely attended a boring-as-hell webinar last Friday specifically to learn about trailing equity. Here is how it is supposed to work

           With trailing equity, you can set a type of stop-loss once you’ve reached your weekly goal. I had mine set at 2%, so I could never lose below that, it’s like a basement. But the feature allows you to keep on trading the rest of the week. Useful indeed in case the market heats up. Sadly, my trading stopped at 3% and there appears no way to restart it. I carefully went over the settings in triplicate and they are right. I now suspect some glitch in the new software that operates this feature.
           It turns out the Reb okayed a few trades which reveals we have no effective way to notify each other of the event. I tried to switch my phone to discover Boost has discontinued the primary incentive to use a Virgin phone—the anonymous pay-by-the month $20 service. The cheapest Boost plan is $35 at which juncture you might as well have a smart phone. The solution is to get one in Tennessee. Yep, these millennials have no clue how badly they are painting themselves into a corner. Their world seems to be no bigger than that screen on their phones. They will find out the hard way that knowing how to look something up is no speed match for actually learning it.
           I mentioned how they’ve monetized youTube by the totally non-original tactic of embedding ads. These ads often are offensive or distasteful to the subject material. I’ve identified one of the worst packs. They call themselves Little Dot Studios, which is an insult to real studios. These jerkoffs at Little Dot plainly view the video content as little more than their copycat method of shoveling product one step away from clickbait. If you think Wal*Mart sells cheap plastic crap, meet Little Dot Studios.

Picture of the day.
Bottle caps.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I cannot restart the trading function. This is still the dummy account so I understand they may not meet all that many users who already know computers and the market. Most, it is becoming obvious, do not. With my programming background I can pick up at the webinars that the demo software varies from the actual, but not in any significant way. Still, that is not a nerve tonic to anyone subject to the jitters. In week three, we made on paper $93.53 on a $3,162.00 beginning balance. It is over the $3,000 because we let prior earnings roll over. This represents a lot of progress because we know exactly what did not work and what questions to ask. Another revelation from the web tutorials is that I am appalled by the lack of even basic computer skills by the younger people.
           These tend to average around age 28, so they are the wired generation. They are supposed to know every detail about every computer capability by the end of grade school. There is no excuse for them being unfamiliar with computer terms, especially slang terms. But it appears that the class of 2008 had its dropouts as well. Call it an octothorp and you get a blank stare. Then you try pound sign. Duh, now the little crybaby is offended. Okay, Tyler, just press the damn hashmark and go eat a tidepod.

           That is going to be a source of frustration and is beginning to explain why the tutorials move so slow. I’m learning the algorithm, the rest of the room is learning where to look things up. I’d soon had enough and went out into the yard to work on the storage room. That’s where this curious picture came from. The Tennessee fence posts had been cut a foot short. It was a simple matter to gusset them up to give enough headroom. This uses up the last of the free lumber unless on my next trip the pile is still where it was illegally dumped behind that church on Central Pike.
           I’ve removed a panel from the side of the red shed and it is the correct width, but not height, for a passageway. At this point JZ calls and talks my ear off for an hour. With his medical background, he wants to talk virus treatments, while the only area I have the vaguest is the reading I’ve done on DNA and that I will read related articles if they are conveniently nearby. He can hear me hammering and cutting and I assure him if he shows up, he will be put to work.
           The first question most people ask when they see the sheds is could they be used as an emergency shelter? Yes, but they are not designed for that. What they are reacting to is the sheds are wired, interconnected, dry, have food stockpiles, as well as heating and cooking gear. But all is in storage. Yes, there is running water and soon, a passive cooling system. That is also where I hope to install a solar water heater. Since I cannot replace the sheds, they are slated to be refinished on the interiors, including insulation.

ADDENDUM
           Later, I tried to join some Zoom meetings. I say tried, because using the system exactly as I memorized before quit working. Hear me out, the people who set these things up are incapable of original thought. So my learning curve consists mainly of figuring what sort of bullshit labels they’ve cooked up for the ancient processes they are copying. I’d usually ignore it all, but allow me to say why it irritated me tonight.
           Because the seminar was advertised as a tech lesson on finer points on the software. Instead it was all hot air about the type of personality he wants to recruit. Ideally, that would be thousands of automatons that do as he says. His criteria was about how much personal information they gave up without question, and vulnerable they came across—though he never actually said that. Don’t get me wrong, this is a valid way to make money in America. Ask Oral Roberts or Jimmy Baker. I say it departs from the professionalism of learning the software and the procedures.
           This bozo went on about how each underling was an independent, and how the power structure of pyramids was no different that climbing the corporate ladder. Okay, but only to the point where you realize those rungs are salaried positions that include gems like medical, stock options, job security, and retirement benefits. And the employees are not required to buy anything from the parent company.

Last Laugh