Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

May 19, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 19, 2019, sounds redacted.
Five years ago today: May 19, 2015, only appear spontaneous.
Nine years ago today: May 19, 2011, antennas, my nemesis.
Random years ago today: May 19, 2017, shark teeth.

           The day’s half over and I can’t decide if it’s a good day or bad yet. Start with good. My second favorite coffee shop has re-opened. And there is a new coffee shop in town. It has no sign and I only heard about it in passing. I’ll check if it has any personality. On the way home I found a sheet of 1/2” plywood dumped at the pallet spot. I removed eight screws holding it to some pallets and just saved myself, what, $35. For another shed floor, repair the last of the bathroom corner spot, or a complete set of shelves in the new lean-to. I think I need the shelves first.
           Combing through my camera collection, I have two that will work, but cannot find my box of memory cards. I switched to micro cards and have a container of four regular SDs. How I hate to buy one to test a camera that may not work, as the next day, the others will show up. That’s the reason I need those shelves first. Too many things stored in the house makes finding stuff harder. And, I need a separate battery charging station. Robotics taught me the value of a standalone charging location.

           Then I discover my new DVD player is misplaced. Did I forget it in Tennessee? I doubt that, and I have the remote control which I would not have brought here by itself. Besides, it was a portable and I already have two other players in Tennessee. I think there’s a box I haven’t unpacked since I returned. The pace here has been hectic anyway, getting as much done as possible before the summer weather. I found another $10 bill fell behind the desk, so I thought to buy a single rose to see if it would grow in this soil. Nobody around here sells roses. Ain’t that a fine thing?
           Here’s you latest photo on the thermal chimney, showing the glass in place but not affixed yet. The interior metal still has to be painted flat black. I’ve put my hand inside the cavity a few times and it doesn’t get all that hot in there. Then again, the top is still open and it isn’t finished yet. And I found my wireless guitar transmitter. It works fine for bass, it is a wireless headset that I really need and they are priced out of sight.

           One of the video cams is eliminated already. It has a video mode, but limits itself to three minutes. It auto-shuts off and this feature cannot be bypassed. You know, I always thought there should be a law that requires every digital recording system to announce on the package the number of bytes required for one minute of recording at a standard setting—even if the device does not have that setting. As it stands, it is impossible to guess how much recording time you have on a memory card without going through hoops. There was an ancient rule of thumb that said two gigabytes per hour, but is that even valid any more?

Picture of the day.
Ship anti-roll stabiliers.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Alas, this device is failing already. The sun falls at too great an angle in the summer, so unless I devise a way to lay this think on its side, it is just not going to get all that hot. It does represent a valid attempt at solar power getting past the talking stage for most home-owners. And we now have the technology. The double pane of glass seems to heat more between the glass than inside the cavity. Next day that is even half cool, I’ll try separating the glass. The main lessons learned or re-learned here are:

                      A) it is cheap enough to build and fail to find a system that works for you.
                      B) most of the advice on the Internet should probably stay there.
                      C) plan to do your work when it is comfortably cool

           Here’s a video for you to figure out. You might call it a time lapse of a time lapse of a time lapse. I determined the feature takes one photo per minute, which is a fixed interval. The, it plays the sequence back at one frame per second, also fixed. This was Experiment 518 and the result was this video not quite as boring as a feminist law professor, but close. Certainly better looking, though.
           It plays back 60 frames per minute, covering one hour of time. Correctly surmising you didn’t want to watch even 30 seconds of that, I time lapsed it again and then again up to 5x normal speed. Hence three layers of time lapsing, yours only from the blog that dares. It makes more sense if you think on it. Seriously, on what other blog would you watch a video of a clock? And I don’t mean like a time bomb, so there you go.

Last Laugh