Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

July 1, 2020


Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 1, 2019, it was costing $300 each.
Five years ago today: July 1, 2015, another house, $24.500.
Nine years ago today: July 1, 2011, FireHow sucks.
Random years ago today: July 1, 2004, it’s still around $15,000 today.

           I keep reading how big advertisers are “taking a chance” by boycotting Facebook. I hope they discover the opposite—that advertising barely works if at all. And that it is better to advertise all in one place where customers who want information can go there of their own volition. I notice the dire predictions of doom are mostly on other advertising-driven platforms like CNBC. Talk about your vested interest. Aren’t they part of the Kool-Aid bunch who kept publishing up to the 11th hour that polls said Trump couldn’t win? American advertising stinks and needs to be reined in.
           I don’t know what this is. I found it at a thrift for 25 cents and have always used it for a paperweight and sometime glue press. It’s pretty heavy for its size and bears the logo of a frying pan. Bearing the name “Lodge” I thought time to look it up, it not being right to have such an unknown implement in the era of the Internet. Turns out it is a “grill press”, for those who grill things that need pressing. It retails for around $25. I think I’ll keep it as a paperweight, albeit the most expensive one I’ve ever owned.

           Facebook is banning the Booglaoo groups, which are more of a symptom than an organized movement. That tells me it is time to start taking them seriously if only because they advocate civil war. That could mean something as non-violent as leaving the union but the Deep State shows they don’t feel it as necessary to obey the Constitution as before they were issued SWAT teams and armored cars. I’ll begin watching more closely. While most Americans don’t identify with cult compounds and survivalist kooks, there remains smoldering resentment over the way the government handled Waco, Ruby Ridge, and Malheur.

           The anger is not against law and order, as the Establishment would have you believe, but a stand against the methods of big government. DC has long fostered ill-feelings by requiring people to participate in programs that they totally disagree with. The authorities are too quick to pile up on anybody who just wants to be left alone. As a right-of-center Libertarian, I’m of course on the side of the people. My opinion is this pent-up hostility against Big Brother has been accumulating a long time and needs only a rallying point. Most people would not takes sides in an open fight, but I have the distinct feeling they no longer automatically side with the cowboys either.
           I managed to get the fenceposts tamped and braced in place and paint them to blend in. I’m going to need a load of 12-foot 2x4s and last time I checked, Agt. R had expired tabs. That’s just not planning ahead, since he needs the vehicle to make his other money. I’m having one heck of a time getting the replacement plate for my scooter, the DMV keeps randomly closing offices. Or what’s the term they use, “furlough”? They use it but most of them can’t spell it. When Shkreli becomes president, his first decree should be to disband the DMV. It is not the government’s business who owns a car, or a house for that matter. The possible worst justification for a government office is that it generates revenue.

           YouTube itself if making a great many unpopular moves. First is censorship, since they have neither the morality or integrity to be making judgments of that kind. The other is some kind of crackdown on copyright violations, both real and arising from opinion. I’m okay with this because it will spawn some alternative that is even better. Like Pirate Bay, it will always be there in some form. Phooey on people trying to prevent fair usage from eighty-year-old newsreels. But I’ll tell you what is doubly annoying. The melding of youTube meddling and millennial disrespect for truth. The advertisement remains displayed, but only when you waste time trying to view the video do you get the message it has been removed.

Picture of the day.
Spring in E. Kentucky.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Forex trading was volatile again. By mid-afternoon we were at 6.926% for the week . Two hours later we were back at 5.521%. Still pretty decent, but I could hear the distant howling. Yet, I see the trailing equity cut in and kept us at 5.680%, I believe that’s the least we make once that feature is activated. It’s something I’d like to monitor very closely. Something else I don’t follow yet is sometimes you approve a transaction and it appears on the list instantly. Other times, more than an hour has passed before anything shows.

           It was due to rain but instead we got the cloud cover. That got me into the yard to put the fence panel back up and install the two rafters or beams or whatever you call them. The piece that holds up the roof rafters across the top of a lean-to. It’s not fun hefting the things up overhead by oneself but this being Florida, it is more fun than trying to get somebody to help out. Once again, I’ll have to wait until morning to paint them. If I can fit a load of thirteen 2x4s in the car, I can have some form of shelter by this weekend. The small lean to makes for a very comfortable place to work, but it is too small to cut lumber in there. The new spot will have space to cut up to twelve foot lengths, and longer by removing a flap in the wall.
           Mostly though, I want the extra storage space. One of the first tasks one I get some shade is to put in a six foot long work bench where said storage is prohibited. Just a plain flat area I always wanted just to work on things whenever I pleased without having to shunt something else out of the way. As for storage cabinets, I’ll just curbside old dressers or whatever comes along. Maybe I didn’t say, but I’ve also gotten pretty good at building drawer dividers and I never seem to have enough of those.

ADDENDUM
           Elliott & I had a lengthy chat argument, but that’s because it was apples and oranges. His position is that nobody “deserves” to die from police arrest procedures. I agree, I have always been against choke holds or life-threatening restraints. But through repetition, I’ve become somewhat numbed by the “off his meds” excuse. I have never heard it suggested that people who are off their meds are unaware of their behavior under that condition. And when the police are called, you are going to get a police response.
           Elliott quotes the individual cases (like Timpa) where I tend to view the big picture. The more often a person commits bizarre public behavior that involves police intervention, the more often you are going to get fatalities. It is not a matter of thinking anyone deserves to die. My position is if somebody unarmed gets violent, chain him to a lamp post until he runs out of steam. Or better yet, call an ambulance, take him home and send him the bill. Having to pay for their public fits and tantrums out of their own pocket has an amazing curative effect on people.
           I further agree that the police need more training, but of a different nature. There should be no rewards, internal or external, for Rambo-ism. Police should adopt a pro-active position of crime prevention, not "law" enforcement by ever-escalating tactics. The certainly of arrest is a better deterrent than a criminal record these days. They need to be demilitarized and become answerable to the communities that hire them, not the central government. But, but, that causes regional disparities in the way punishment is meted out. Precisely. Loot in the wrong part of town and get your head busted. Loot in the right part of town and get shot. Take your pick, bad guyz.

Last Laugh