Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, July 16, 2020

July 15, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 15, 2019, major plumbing.
Five years ago today: July 15, 2015, the auction fraud.
Nine years ago today: July 15, 2011, 10.7 mph.
Random years ago today: July 15, 2005, typical day.

           Memphis may be back in the picture. It was some time ago the Reb had mentioned she’d never been there. I’ve only been there a couple of times, and only stayed overnight a week after my birthday around seven years ago. Last time in 2018 I just drove though. I liked the town the time I was there but other than Beale Street, I did not get around much. I had arrived there on the “City of New Orleans”. That was November 18, 2013, read all about it. Downside? Memphis taxes restaurant food at a whopping 9%. So much for their lip service about being tourist-friendly.
           There was a train museum on Main [street] opening up, I thought it would be ready by now. Wrong, it is still tentative. Remember when the Internet was information? Try to find out which businesses are closed over the virus boondoggle. Other than a notice to the effect their hours “may” be affected, they have gone full millennial. Thanks for nothing. I would like to see Beale Street again, maybe half an order of catfish with the Reb. This is speculation only, not a pet-sitting trip. We like traveling together and I’ll tell you why. Because we get treated like royalty. That’s an exaggeration which she would never agree with, but that is, if you ask me, a result of her being so used to it. I never said that, okay? Any of it.

           Now that we’ve got that straight, here’s some pictures of the canopy progress. It did not rain all day, it just never stopped long enough to dry out for work. I made a resting perch for the birds beside the kitchen feeder. There are three regular visitors, the northern cardinals, the titmice, and a pair I have not learned yet. They have to compete for space as that feeder has no landing platform. So I hung a small twig and you talk about popular. No picture yet because it is too low, I’ll raise it up to eye level first chance.
           Here is a view of the plank walkway along the old shed roof. It is too weak to support much more than it’s own weight, plus that roof was stove in by a widow-maker. Remember how I had to pop it back into place with car jacks on the inside? These boards allow me to work on the whole length of the new section, after which they will be paneled over with Ondura sheeting.

           Amtrak or not, it may be time for a train trip anyway, I don’t mind riding six feet away from their passengers at all. Scratch that, I see Amtrak has millennialized their website. The “stations” buttons now gives you the address of the station rather than what trains stop there. Talk about fucking stupid, like you care where the station is if you don’t know what trains go there and when. But that is seriously the way millennials think. The easiest way to get information is to pretend you are booking a trip, which is bullshit and takes way too much time with them aarping you every click of the way.

           Round trip tickets have to be purchased in two separate operations. While I can’t be sure thanks to the Amtrak web page design, I don’t think there is a morning train into Tampa. Wait a second, here’s a notice posted by Hillsborough County, not Amtrak. “As of July 6, Amtrak no longer offers daily train service at Tampa Union Station.” Way to go, Amtrak
           Their web page still shows as if the train is running. The only train into the city, if it was running, does not leave until 3:30Pm and gets there after 5:00PM, so that is out. I’m going to try to print out an old fashioned train schedule but it looks like the brainless bastards have improved that out of existence. If you happen to know the name of the train, the site takes you to a useless page with everything except train timetables. Hotels, car rentals, ambulances, but no schedules. Quick all you out-of-towners, what is the name of the train that goes to Miami? Way to go again, Amtrak.
           (It’s called the Silver Service/Palmetto.)

           For the record, I do not deal in cryptocurrencies. I do not do any financing on-line, I don’t even check my own bank balance like that. Put it this way, if you have to check your bank balance at an ATM or link, you are not conducting your money affairs properly. I have never gone on-line with banking and I can tell you to the penny what my balance is. I do use an ATM for withdrawals, but I can tell you every instance. Let me check something. Okay, this year, I have made 19 ATM withdrawals, the earliest was 7:46AM, the latest was 9:56PM. I make one large withdrawal near the beginning of the month only for consistancy (I no longer pay rent), and normally three more during the remainder. Thus, I have no sympathy for people who get hacked, including those who lose a fortune on BitCoin scams.

Picture of the day.

Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Trading is winding down and the take this week is a little over 6%. Bear in mind, Wednesday is the day I stop approving trades (Thursday in Australia). Any outstanding trades continue to process until they are all gone. Here is a shot of my proto-table. This is only putting the boards in place temporarily to map out the other dimensions. My first 12-foot work bench. Half of it is slated for tools, leaving me space to work. As the existing system is set up, I have to clear a space every time I need to do anything. I would have worked on it today but I found out the neighbor’s roof that overhangs my property does not have any eavestroughing. That was fun. Right down my neck.
           One of the classic bass lines of my era is “Black is Black” by a band called Los Bravos. It is actually simple, but highly syncopated, child’s-play for me. To non-bassists, the challenge with syncopation is making sure there is a smooth transition between chord changes. This is the most common error I hear in even semi-pro bassists (the ones who have not made the leap from studio flunky to proper stage work). They tend to play out the pattern when they should be bridging. Thanks to my piano foundation, I’m a self styled expert at these changes, I do it by imagining the piano notes and it works every time—provided you did your homework and memorized all the scales.
           Now, to play this song, forget all the free advice you just got and play every pattern to the end of the measure even if it sounds wrong at first. I’m going to give it a whirl, though it is a tune I’m never likely to use. Here is that chart of my musical career since I got to Florida. “Black is Black” is a three-note pattern with a few variations, I like tunes that are catchy without following the same old I-IV-V blues formula. I’ve got to get something done today. I found a 2010 copy of Ra-B’s song list and sent it to him.

           A documentary (no link) has appeared on-line claiming new info on the A-4, known to the world as the V-2 rocket. But it was the same old re-hashed propaganda. It was a “nazi terror weapon”, conveniently forgetting is was built in retaliation for the real terror, the Allied bombing of German civilians. And the commentary goes on about how the rockets were built by slave labor, but I have yet to see any confirmation of this. Like the Germans are going to let slaves into factories building their most secret weapons. But who am I to question the people who own newspapers? That’s Trump’s job.
           I thought it might have more info on how the Germans planned to launch a rocket at New York City from a u-boat. Instead they repeated the old line that it was too complicated, but keep reading. Like complication ever stopped a German scientist. My speculation was why did thye not think of connecting two u-boats in a pontoon fashion and launch that wa?. They certainly had the gyroscope technology to stabilize the platform. But Germany had never intended to fight the United States. All of their weapons including the V-2 were short-range to fight only a European war. This bunk of world dominance is purely cooked up by the English newspapers. The Germans could not even cross the English Channel, much less the Atlantic Ocean.

           The footage of the actual rockets being build and assembled show no slave laborers, only healthy and plainly well-fed German technicians. Even if that is the only footage available, it contradicts the narrative. Let’s examine the so-called complicated firing procedure. The rockets were actually designed to be setup up and fired quickly due to roving Allied fighter-bombers. Was it complicated or was it quick, the two are mutually exclusive. One clue is the Me 262 jet fighter. Far from being difficult, the jet engines had few moving parts and were consequently easy to maintain. Unlike the swarms of mechanics needed to maintain a B-29 bomber, you never see more than one German tech at the hatch of a 262.
           Nor does it jive that slave workers were shot and starved to death. If you have somebody trained to build rockets in 1944, you don’t kill the guy. Something there doesn’t add up. I have another question. There are many records of V-2 missiles being launched. Where are all the clouds of smoke that accompany all American rocket launches? I don’t mean nothing, I’m only sayin’.

           Have you seen the latest libtard fake news headline? Trump is accused of “attempted murder”. The fine print says he’s trying to kill the Post Office, quite a different meaning. Mail in voting is the only hope for the radical left. TMOR, the radical left monitors voting stations. Where the race is close, they have in the past rushed truckloads of last minute ballots to those locations with bags of ballots all voting for the Democrat. I would not blame Trump for slowing down the mail “amid calls to expand mail voting”. Calls by whom, and the question is again arising, if so many people are dying, where are the bodies? It’s largely propaganda. The reported cases go up, not the fatalities, and like Trump says, the cases go up because there is more testing.

           Um, and you people who accost others not wearing masks. Have they considered maybe others have already had the ‘rona and are no longer infectious? Of course not, demanding other people do as you say is standard leftist policy, facts are unimportant. Liberalism is the Dunning-Kruger Effect applied on a mass scale. Consider the 65% of people who think they are smarter than average and now the 12% of people who think they are smarter than the experts. Unsurprisingly, the second group also rank very low in English grammar and have poor reasoning skills, that what Dunning & Kruger were testing. They were testing “expert”, not “average”.
           Now pay attention here, Ken Sanchuk, because this is an important distinction and you are about to learn something. Drunning-Kreuger is not about those who think they are smarter than average. It is about the 12% who think they are smarter than experts. Whoops, we lost him already. (The same can be said of most websites.) I’ll carry on for the rest of us. Why the DK Effect has gained traction lately is due to the Internet. Masses of people now have access to shallow knowledge over a huge spectrum of topics. The best circulated example are the climate change activists who say the scientists have it all wrong. Yet the average activist has read approximately one hour of material on the subject, versus scientists who have dedicated a lifetime of study.
           My long-term blog readers can laugh quietly. I’ve been quoting idiots since the 1980s: “What’s wrong with all these mathematicians, have they forgotten that two plus two is four? But the climate change people are something else. DK conducted the study because they found the average climate change types had done only an hour’s reading on it. Take that, Greta Thunberg.

ADDENDUM
           I’ve got one for you. I’m out of food. You see, everything here is either canned or fresh. So five days without shopping means I’m out of both. I don’t keep canned food long except for emergency use and that is out in the shed. And you know why I’ll never be a professional comedian? Because I cannot deadpan. If I try to tell a really funny joke (that’s judged by audience response, Ken), I often bust out laughing before I can get to the punch line.

Last Laugh