Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, July 16, 2020

July 16, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 16, 2019, one egg.
Five years ago today: July 16, 2015, that’s taxpayer, not citizen.
Nine years ago today: July 16, 2011, big eBike tour.
Random years ago today: July 16, 2004, Martha beats the system

           Who’s the wise guys spreading the rumor you can tell how bad the local weather was by the daily length of this blog. All I can say is very observant of you. Today is yard work day, including fungicide and insecticide spray, not my favorite. I’ve seen a lot of wood cockroaches in the back and I don’t want those coming inside. Here is the new bird perch, it’s made of natural pieces so you may have to look closely. Both an outside and inside view. If you think I’m standing out there to catch pictures of the birds in this heat wave, guess again. I would like to keep after that shed roof, get it out of the way, so I may brave the elements yet.
           Forex trading has closed for the week, I mean my trading, not the market. The app is set to avoid both opening and closing times. This week was another spectacular performance by the British pound against the New Zealand dollar, we are up 6.735% on paper. These are still dummy dollars, and read my advice against joining before you figure on doing the same. In three weeks, the return has been 19.866%. Pretty amazing, but too good to last.

           Who is Mark Felton? He’s a military historian lately producing some excellent documentary footage centered on WWII. He’s picked normally overlooked topics like Goering’s armored train. Alas, I cannot consider him a serious expert because he has bitten too deeply into Western and highly anti-German publications for his research. The British press is as deeply religion-directed as the American and much of the material has been “written by the victors”. And the real victors were not the Allied armies, if you care to look into it.
           Top annoyance is his habit of calling German soldiers “Nazis”. (I’ve pointed out elsewhere he does not call American soldiers “Democrats” or British soldiers “Conservatives”, yet there is hardly any consensus over which of these philosophies is the more reprehensible.) Certainly, the Germans had no monopoly of racial prejudice or politically-motivated attacks. Look at the segregated American army or what happened at Dresden. The easy question is why doesn’t Felton publish factual accounts of what really happened? The easy answer is that even questioning the official version is illegal and foolish for your career to boot. Was it George Orwell who wrote, “Journalism is publishing what others do not want published. All the rest is public relations.”
           So, by all means, enjoy Felton’s work—just remember there are two sides to every story. You won’t get them both from old Mark. The good news is my beet farm. Here’s the culled sproutlings, roughly the regulation 1.5” inches apart. The growth rate is irregular and these are the best of the lot. The sprigs that were removed were replanted off to one side to see if they would take in shallower dirt. If all these produce, we’ll have around sixty beets. More than I buy in two years. That’s from one packet of seeds.

           Cancel the Amtrak plans. They are impossible to deal with. If all you want is them to tell you the train timetable and the fare, forget it. They’ve gone the route of the virtual assistant, an okay idea but implemented and contorted by the millennial class to prod you along with the nonsense they want. The assistant’s name is “Julie” and she has only around 15 all-purpose answers no matter what the question. The site fools nobody, they want your credit card number before telling you what time the train leaves.
           I’m still searching for a burn barrel. There are a number of ads, all at least 75 miles from here. What, people in this county don’t burn trash? I mentioned Brooksville before, it’s a drive out there but I would combine it with some site-seeing. Maybe tomorrow, I need the time off. It’s 75 miles from here. Should I do it? The car is running fine and I have the money. I’ll decide later today, but as usual, you won’t know I’m on the road until after it’s underway. That’s only prudent these days.

Picture of the day.
Moosse Jaw, I think.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           It’s also mushroom season. Here are some puffballs around the pecan tree. There were nearly twenty but I did not notice until I had weeded most of them up. I first saw these when I was four years old, and that was in the Yukon. But that’s a different tale from the trailer court. Let’s keep an eye on these as they seem small compared to what I remember. I also replanted two of the agave-like plants that did not take to partial shade. I’ll collect archival photos of the peach tree and such over the next couple days.
           I crawled up on the roof in the sun and cut the remaining 12 rafters, the ones with the wrong bevel. These had been secured at the far end so as to put the tarpaper, so 36 screws had to be loosened, the tarpaper peeled back, and the rafters cut while standing on the baking white shed. Because of the need for that tarpaper, each unit took around twenty minutes. I’m only inside because one rechargeable battery died permanently and the other drained. So add three minutes per rafter to keep changing bits. I’ve decided to run a second ledger board under the rafters that overhang the shed, and to reinforce the beam. No matter what I do, it will eventually sag. Might as well put that further into the future.

           Only a gallon of peach tea today before siesta, I stopped to take a look at what the British media had to say. While they kow tow to the same masters, often a lot of ripe stuff creeps through due to their different vocabulary. The Brits have their liberal AOLs too, I see some of them can’t get over that Brexit has happened. They have their fake race narrative with their East Indians offset by the fact they are an island. Bad guys can only run so far once the ports and airports are on board. The English get a kick out of the carona medical scam. If a person had or even tested positive, and died from any cause, doctor’s are required to list it as a COVID death. The English are waiting to see what happens when the mortgage and loan stays expire, isn’t that this month? Hey, Nigel, move over. I want to see this one myself.
           The shutdown accomplished the ruination of most small businesses, that is true. But what have I been saying the past twenty years? They had it coming by overusing credit. Their whole business model was wrong. This purge will be a good thing if it results in the growth of a new cash economy. Rumor has it the government is causing a coin shortage so business won’t be able to give change—just put it on your credit card, they say. A method to track every purchase. I predicted this years ago, the complacent masses would give up their freedoms, their jobs, and their privacy without a fight. Life on credit made them soft and pliant, confident they could borrow their way out of any crisis.
           So I was right after all, the catch is that I thought all this would happen by 1995. That’s when people started getting really stupid because that’s when being stupid became acceptable through political correctness. But seriously folks, if you cannot read, write, spell, and punctuate, by the time you get out of high school, chances are you’ll be a dumbfeck the rest of your life. I know the difference between correspondence course, on-line tutorials, evening school, and real learning in campus lecture hall. Buddy, there is no comparison. That’s why books and universities have been around 500 years.

           Chaz, the nation in Seattle. Washington is an open-carry state, so they are armed. What do I think? They have no economic base, that’s what I think. The state should cut off the welfare checks and such, just to see how long they last. It’s an excellent experience in society building. Except for the funny activity, they seem to all be unemployed. The neat part is the leftoids who pulled this stunt are realizing they need many of the systems they were originally opposing. You see them establishing street patrols, putting up fences, and checking who comes in. The irony is they took their nation away from, in a sense, the aboriginals. What will the nation of Chaz do when the shop-owners start making land claims? How about taxes for the reparations? Bwaaaa-ha-ha-ha.

ADDENDUM
           I slugged it out, up on the roof where I screwed down 16 of the 36 panels. The roof is square, but it is off square to the shed, I’m content to just leave it. In more detail, I hauled the planks from the car and stacked them against the shed near the ladder. This barely winded me, surprise, and I hauled half of them up to the roof. Having experience at this now, in less than two hours of brisk activity, just over a fifth of the roof sheathing is in place. This creates a platform that makes the rest of the job a lot easier.
           This is a rough panorama shot of the space. On the left is the now discontinued solar chimney. This is slated to lay down on its side so the rays go down into the cavity rather than into it from the side. There is still hope but this was a disappointment. In the center are extra fence panels forming a temporary blind for the mass of tools and sawhorses inside, all of it incriminating evidence. As planned the roof of the lean-to is invisible in this photo, but it is just behind the “fence”.

           Before parting, here’s a question you can help with. There are 14 people who elected to have reports of the Forex trading. I have dis-advised all of them about this project, but the fact is, when times are good, they are very good. Let’s forget formal Forex trading with AuvoriaPrime and focus on something that has cropped up. Put simply, these people are part of the inner circle. While they like the potential, they do not like the MLM/pyramid structure. Myself, I would not do this without the Reb acting as front-person.
           To make it crystal clear, I have associates interested in investing, but profoundly uninterested it dealing with any MLM. You can probably deduce the emerging concept. They laughed at Templeton when he said he did not have a millionaire client, but he had a thousand clients with a thousand dollars each. I would have to devote some serious, serious thought. My existing business structure could handily take care of 14 people—if they were willing to only be paid on weeks that made money. Right now I don’t know enough about the software, but, uh, for instance, I know more than you, is all.

Last Laugh