Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

July 28, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 28, 2019, I’d fix Malta.
Five years ago today: April 28, 2015, they meant Google, not me.
Nine years ago today: April 28, 2011, it’s like college.
Random years ago today: April 28, 2014, in theory, anyway.

           Here’s a bit of a vintage item, one of the original model Coleman lanterns. It was at the Goodwill for $9, but there was no way to test the thing. I examined it close and said no. The mantel had been replaced. I might have taken a chance if this had not been Florida. I’ll stick with the one I have that eats mantles and lasts less than four hours on a bottle, since I can refill the bottles. The vintage model, shown here, are available on-line for about twenty bucks, if you don’t mind spending another fifteen for shipping. Today, we finish the shed roof where the water has been leaking. Move fast, it is already clouding over for the afternoon deluge. I need a dry area, so how much of a wall I put in depends. Siding will primarily consist of fence pickets, both for price and concealment.
          
           Forex trading has been slow and consistent, again centering on the kiwi-pound exchange. The spread is narrow but very volatile. Half-way through this week’s trading (Sunday evening to Wednesday evening), the return is 2.908% with around 20 outstanding transactions. Taken in isolation, this would rate as too good to be true, following on four weeks of similar performance. This quarter, on a beginning balance of $3,400 “demo” dollars, the return has already been $1,055.or nearly 28%. Now step back for a larger look.

           There are lots of trade-offs with that statistic. One is that at this moment, $1,075 of that amount is plowed back into the outstanding trades. My margin level, always iffy below 1000x (my leverage ratio) is currently at 219x, which means little to outsiders, but it is the largest chance I’ve taken in this adventure. Am I getting over-confident? Hubrus? The equity is swinging by more than $100 at around twice per second so calculate the time it would take to lose a grand. And losing money is a one-way alley, you cannot reinvest your losses.
           Once you [learn to] read the display, you can see your potential loss. This is too heart-pounding for those without nerves of raw steel. So I’ve resolved to put in some real money. Nothing makes a market or stock drop faster than my investment in it. Silver has passed $24 again, making me optimistic that the factors I am familiar with, such as tax law and inflation, can be brought into play. Make no mistake, the market is complex and I do not recommend this investment. It is another 8 weeks before my scheduled review to allocate real money in any meaningful amount.
           I look forward to it [the review] based on performance to date, sure, but also because if this investment works out, it is the first one in my life that does not have any budget for profits above what I call replacement level. Meaning if I had a $1,000 month, I could blow the whole shot without any repercussions on the rest of my existence. Who wouldn’t, given my lifestyle and a lady in my life that would make your eyes water. And I’ve never spent a thousand dollars in one month on any single “fun” item in my life. Some may ask about traveling, which for me is fun. Yes, but these are highly budgeted and closely allocated events, recorded to the penny. I mean random fun, the kind people with credit cards only think they are having.

           The last bit of that roof turned into much more work than I reckoned. The part that counts, over the work bench, is finally done. Just when the rain hit, so I know I did it right. I watched for the amount of water coming off the neighbor’s barn-turned-storage shed. It’s a lot of water, I think till dig a trench to hold a lot of it till it can seep in. That’s what it’s been doing for years and I helping it along. I got my aching bones, muscles actually, up there for three hours. With regular breaks and I think I’ll grab an extra coffee right about now. Stand by.
           Ah, that hits the spot. I feel your disappointment that I have no picture of the radishes. They are growing sop erratically that it is becoming a concern. They also seem spindly to me but I’m no radish pro and I got ten bucks says all the real experts are on-line, even as we speak. I worked past noon and got two of the framing studs installed. I’m using three horizontal pieces to match the fence panels, since that wall of the shed is to look like an extension of the existing fence. Even though I no longer have cause, I still get frugal at month’s end. C’mon whitey, where’s my free shit. Cruz, the politician, has definitely seen Canadian welfare at work. How do I know? Keep reading.

           Cruz has noticed the extremely dangerous practice (socially) of paying people more money in government benefits than they were making at their old jobs. For millions, this is their first experience with the luxury of American welfare and a lot of them are going to like it. Get ready for a whole new subclass of permanent dependents. When the average worker affected by this sees after his expenses of getting to and from work and such, welfare pays considerably more. Where would Cruz have seen such goings-on? He was born in Canada.

Picture of the day.
Q-tip crossbow.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           It wasn’t long before I have the fake security cameras wired in. Admit it, the bogus wiring adds a nice touch. Instead of drilling regulation cable holes, I’m going to run some furring strips as protection for the overhead lights. What the heck is going on that has Tampa radio up in knots? I was back and forth most of the work day and kept hearing the tail end of the commentary. I gather some doctors who actually treat patients, as opposed the quasi-doctors at the CDC, posted a revelation of COVID facts that did not fit the uber-Left’s narrow agenda. Compress the talk to the virus is neither deadly nor all that contagious and the people behind the lockdown knew it all along. So did I.




I give up trying to get this photo to center. Up yours, Google, just up yours. For crying out loud over there, HTML is a kindergarten level script and you can't get it? If this picture is centered by the time you see it, that is is no thanks to Google. With their finite IQs over there, they bury centering commands instead of encapsulating. You have to read their pitiful HTML attempts to find the offending tag.


           The news was the rapid reaction of the leftist media in banning and blocking the broadcast. I finally found it on BitChute and I love the way the black lady calls out that troll-looking Facci. There was another post about how if you speak out against anything liberal, they take your picture, post it on-line, contact your boss to get you fired, the whole cancel culture thing. And you know what I think? Serves you right you knuckle-dragging schleps. How did these strangers know who you are and where you work? Think about that next time you tell a smart private-minded person he’s paranoid. Ha, you wired-in dumb as dirt clods, you made your bed, now lie in it.

           Nixie technology, the numeric display wiith little orange neon bulbs inside a vacuum tube, is expensive. They are out of production, even in Russia and require 170 volts. Somebody stacked acrylic plates on top of LEDs that emulate the nixie. At $35 each, they aren’t cheap. But compared to nixies at $45 each, hey. And somebody will now come out with a 3D replica. And another step toward imposed cashless society. Several retailers still let you use the self-checkout if you had exact change or did not mind rounding up. Now they will not accept exact change. If you know anything about how coins are distributed through the system and the total volume of coins, there is some sort of scam. If they stopped minting coins for a year, you probably would not notice. But if they stop distributing them, that’s an unmarked police van of a different color.
          
           It’s a push toward cashless, where every tip you leave in the bass player’s “jar”, even the bonus you give the paper boy at Xmas, it all becomes traceable. In fact, remember Epstein, the accused sex offender. You know how he got caught? He was transferring money to women with Russian names. You will have zero privacy left if things go cashless. On Epstein’s case, I think what he did was probably wrong, but the state pretending to be protecting “underage” girls is definite overreach. The correct approach is to allow parents the power to control and punish. The point here is in a cashless society anything you do will be subject to scrutiny by beady-eyed bureaucrats just looking to make a name for themselves.
           Once again, I know there will always be some medium of exchange for those who want to purchase things anonymously. My research into nations with near-cashless systems does not reveal what people use for money when there isn’t any. I’ve said before, if can find out what it is, I’ll buy a mountain of it now while it’s cheap like paper.

           Ha, did you catch that quip that the rabid left can’t find any police to guard the DNC. Karma or what? That pack of jokers can’t win for losing, but as the meme goes, never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers. And there are, thanks to common core, many more stupid people than smart people in America. The Democrats are only one notch away from threatening them, vote for Joe or we’ll call you racist. But the police boycott of the DNC, that’s priceless. The whole libtard bunch are tarring themselves with their own brush. Who was it that said about them, “We’re not dealing with the A-team here.”
           And that concept spills over to the new set of medical documents I must sign or be refused treatment. The American medical system is fairly good, although the granting of medical degrees is not necessarily based as much on competence as family connections. What’s corrupt is the billing system. You must sign documents that if for any reason your insurance or for any other reason the doctor performs a procedure for which he does not get paid, you assume a lifetime obligation to pay up. It’s disgusting but you are supposed to somehow know what the doctor doesn’t about whether his procedures are covered.
           Actually, just sign the papers because they are so one-sided, I doubt any civil court would enforce them. The nice thing about American civil courts is they don’t last long by taking sides.

ADDENDUM
           How disgusting that a man in his 90s is sentenced as a war criminal. He was a 17 at the war’s end and stationed at a prison camp, something over which he probably had no say. But it makes sense because the Zionists are running out of people to level Holocaust accusations against. They need a new crop of people to blame for everything. This trial was a major legal victory. The banksters can now give people jail sentences without every proving the accused specifically did anything or even participated. And the next step is going after people who were even distantly related or could be accused of knowing anything. But, the victim this time was 93, so the Zionists have to move fast. Too many people are asking questions. A new tactic must be found or created to keep them diverted. Myself, I’m staying out of it because I have too many friends in the mix.
           I can pretty much bass solo the two Shania tunes, which means even the most incompetent guitarist that can change chords at the right spots can do the task. I thought to glance back at the song list for the Lower Broadway Band, since they switched from performing to recording before I aced their material. Surprise, no Shania Twain hits were listed. I looked only because the amount to be learned was so overwhelming that I may have not noticed these songs. The first girl singer had a great voice for the material. The second gal, well, I knew she would not last.

           Newcomers, when I say solo on the bass, I don’t mean that I could go perform this music on stage by myself—although in certain cases I can. I mean that I play the bass line well enough that anybody listening who knows the song can name it immediately after I begin playing. This is not possible if all I played was generic riffs.
           Thanks to much of the music I currently play goes to mp3, the encoder. It is 25 years old today and I’ve been a power user for 15 years. My entire contemporary bass act is made possible by this technology. Happy birthday, MP3. To be more exact, it was when the pirated encoder became available for free when a stolen copy was published on-line. I quickly became a Napster user and ripped every CD I could until most every piece of music in existence became available for download. These days the biggest challenge to pirating music is finding the version you want.

           This is where I remind people that I operate under fair usage. My intention is not to duplicate or copy the music for direct profit, rather, to learn to perform the music. A form of flattery, if I make money at it, my defense is the music is free, my talent isn’t. I do not purchase CD music, it is vastly overpriced. But if I am going to listen to the music as entertainment, to be fair, I put my money in the juke box. MP3 file usage has been challenged by streaming music, but that comes with a warning.
           Here it is, in case any bozos showed up here by mistake. When you stream, you are being set up. Unlike MP3s, every time you listen to streaming anything, your identity, location, activity, usage, and all else is being permanently recorded for future use. Ask yourself what possible good could come of that. Then take my advice and do as I do. Download only at a public library or computer location that respects your privacy. Streaming services have gutted the recording monopoly and don’t think they are going to let you get away with it. They, too, are banksters. Ask Shania.

Last Laugh