Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, August 11, 2020

August 11, 2010

Yesteryear
One year ago today: August 11, 2019, a retired sharpshooter.
Five years ago today: August 11, 2015, a rant & rave.
Nine years ago today: August 11, 2011, 25 years before Internet.
Random years ago today: August 11, 2013, musically ready, but WTF?

            Oh no, the leftards have gone full leftard. Never go full leftard. Too late, they have seized upon Trump’s plan to suspend payroll taxes till year end to claim he’s defunding medicare and social security. I know a few people who believe it. Like Trump would commit political suicide. This fake news will prove to many people the extent to which the Democrats will lie to get back into power. They are sunk as a political entity, but for Marxists, that merely means going underground. But this time, Trump has brought his mine detector. What they truly fear is his growing experience at rooting them out. That made top story today because I’m in the yard and shed again.

           The photo is at the Mona Carona in St. Augustine. This shows the entranceway when the hotel was built. Note the huge doors. Those are stairways at the end of the hall. Can you guess what this arrangement is all about? It’s so coaches could drive inside out of the weather. We’ll presume the horses had a reverse gear. Today I plan repair work using my nice new bench. Last evening driving the scooter to check on pallet wood, I passed an abandoned playground set, the wood was rotted through. But not the beautiful stainless steel bolts and other hardware. If I didn’t say, that’s enough for several super strong boxes, maybe a carrier on the scooter. The work is not a commitment, I can’t last long when the humidity index gets over a hundred. It makes me long for the balmy 90°F in Tennessee. Tell me, why don’t I just get in the car and drive there?

           I can’t leave yet because there are logs and branches in my front yard. A bit later, it is past noon and thanks to the lean-to, I’ve put in two hours. Should have done this [the lean-to] two years ago. For me the sun zone is not the fun zone but if I get under the canopy, I can work an hour before needing to duck into the A/C. I won’t list the dozen small projects done already, may put off due to the heat. Another bird feeder is a must. I’m out there long enough to spot a small flock of titmice, now regular visitors. They will eat chicken feed. They are either fearless or half-famished and they are getting used to me. There is a nervy squirrel who will sit on the window sill and stare at me, like he knows the glass is saving him.
           In this process things are getting cleaned up. The shelving is now a must, but I can’t find an efficient design. At this point, we got some cloud cover so I’m grabbing the chain saw. This is one of the Harbor Freight specials where they don’t stock the replacement blades, but they sell a blade sharpener for more than half the price of a new saw. That kind of thinking in America is a mental impairment. And it can spread, I’m having trouble finding 18v batteries for my matching Wal*Mart cordless drills. With Wal*mart, always go check what’s in the store.

           Their web page is coded by ass-enders and can be trusted about as much as the Democrat candidate at a swing state liar’s convention. Ever notice how difficult it is for a millennial to code, “Wal*Mart does not stock this product.” Don’t bother phoning, the staff looks it up on the same web page and will always tell you they have it. Remember the good old days when the store paid enough to keep an employee for life and he knew where every bean and bullet in the place was? Now you’re lucky if he speaks English. The downfall of the system began in 1987, I was there when the Sony concept of “customer service” began to infiltrate America’s legendary low-grade “middle management” ranks.
           The companies that had done fine for years decided overnight that even the janitor was a “salesman”. Yeah, how much commission did he get on the last million dollar sale? My union went along with it because they always did want everybody to be equal, like campus nerds. Now they are all equally out of a job.

Picture of the day.
Restaurant in Finland.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Shots fired near the White House. The left is getting beyond desperate so expect more attempts, it’s one of the few options left for them. And I figured out the code at the press conferences. I’ll translate it for the leftist reporters. When the blonde babe says, “I don’t have the exact answer for that but the President will always act in the best interests of the nation”, it is code talk for something-even-I-won’t-say. How sad it as to be spelled out for them. It’s disgusting how these reporters don’t listen to the answers before them and repeat the same stupid questions. Here I am, working my tush off and others get paid to be media trolls.
           There is one flowery tree in the whole neighborhood but it is enough to make the place smell wonderful. The prevailing breeze brings it right into my yard. Ii was out there until 4:30PM thanks to the cloud cover. I finally got that tree trunk that hung up 15 feet off the ground. But my chain saw is a wimp. I got it done with my 14” electric but that was almost as much work as chopping it by hand. It’s mostly down and lying on the ground, that’s a lot of lumber. You can see how the original trees were growing and they may improve now that they have breathing room. Huh? Okay, make that transpiring room
.
           The weed whacker. A few questions was enough to learn repair shops don’t like them. Some say it can take half a day for the repair. That also explains why they don’t replace the cumbersome pull cord system. I’ve resolved to take a look tomorrow afternoon, but I’ve got some hurricane straps to install, around 60 of them, which requires 240 wood screws. I have a new invention, such brilliance at work I surprise myself. Here it is. The KaZooZoo. Oh, I know others play them side by side in parallel, but I put them in series, inspired by Xmas tree lights.
           Not only does this sound weirder than a regular Kazoo, you notice mine is red and blue. The glue holding them together is white but hard to see because I don’t want to offend any Tampa readers who got here by mistake.. This concept, from Kazoo to KazooTwo, took long minutes to develop but I persevered. It was tough naming as well. TwoKazoo is wonky, ContraKazoo is clunky, and KazooTwo was a contender. And look, mine has a fancy brand name. Tell me again how crowdfunding works.

           After hours, I ran into Bradford, still hung up on “originals”. Originals is a valid idea, just not for me. It was at the local non-smoking establishment. They were outside, and as I went to check on my oft-stolen scooter, they talked me into a playing a few. I should have guessed what Bradford had been playing, prepping the crowd with boredom. What the heck, I grabbed the gee-tar at his insistence and ran through a few standards, some tunes anybody would know. What do you think happened? Well, you are absolutely right. Even the joggers came across for the show. I admit to an ulterior motive here, there was a certain party in the audience who had never heard me play before. She has connections and now she’s a believer.

ADDENDUM
           I’m still sifting through the Google blog settings to find some way to access my earlier posts. I can’t believe they could possibly be stupid enough to completely disable it. Usually a nerd will rename a feature to something totally non-descriptive. So far nothing, but I have something called robot tags. There is a way to do it by entering search criteria, but that uses the EBCDIC collating sequence. Fortunately, I named my blogs with dates rather than titles.
           I’ll tell you something else that grinds my gears. These leftist reporters who ask Kayleigh questions that make her quote which government regulations apply to a situation. A self-respecting reporter should know those regulations before formatting questions. They are clearly asking the questions just to see if they can trip things up. Today’s topic was the extension of unemployment benefits. There are all kinds of federal and state laws that the president can step in during emergencies and they bloody well know it.

           I can tell you something else that does not go over well with the public. This is not a question of race, but rather a dislike of special interests bogging things down. It is when a reporter with a foreign accent starts digging at the US administration for not doing enough to help his/her homeland. That irks people. Most people around here feel we are already giving far to much to these countries, who have done nothing with what they’ve already received. All they ever do is scream for more.
           Now it’s the explosion in Lebanon. Like who gives a damn? It wasn’t us that stored a few kilotons of explosive in the city. Why should we help them, and even more importantly nowadays, why aren’t the people’s paradises of Mexico, Cuba, Ethiopia, and North Korea jumping to the pump? Don’t hand me that crap they are poor countries. They all have subsidized airlines, corrupt militaries, and claims to a much better political and economic system than America. Where is their help?
Last Laugh