Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, September 20, 2020

September 20, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 20, 2019, flour & shrub day.
Five years ago today: September 20, 2015, yard sale jackpot.
Nine years ago today: September 20, 2011, comments on unbundling.
Random years ago today: September 20, 2010, one old picture.

           Why, it’s me Aussie hat. This shot took a little posing, but look at the muscles on that guy. I was checking the new soil in the planter. The top layer has to be mixed in with granules and as I went to photo it, my shoulder fought back. What you see here is my posture when I get sudden pain. As my arm limbers up, it isn’t odd to have a pain that went away long ago re-emerge. Particularly when I’m working, which leaves me with the impression a lot of the people in the same clinic don’t do any active work. They have an open area like a small gymnasium. One of the first questions they ask is what is your level of pain today?
           I can hear the responses and I know if you are active at all, which includes bass playing and yard work, things happen. One is you regularly bump up against the latest limits of your therapy. I would normally have stepped out of the way to avoid the shadow. What I’m saying is either I’m some rare case or these other people are not doing either their therapy or any work at all. What do you think? I regularly hit the thresholds some five or six times every day, so I was more like frozen in this photo.

           Another sell-out Trump peaceful protest in the northeast, he’s got the planning done right this time. He was the most surprised person when he was elected. But now he has learned the art of striking back, and he does it incredibly well. Today he said “bullshit” over the microphone and the crowd roared approval. This is a polar contrast t the Democrat campaign that just cannot admit they’ve lost touch. He’s better at naming names and pointing to personal failures, but is still hesitant to lay it on some people who desperately need it. Anyway, this blog was unconcerned with most politics until Trump arrived, so here’s what I think is his game plan for the election. Nothing else, I emphasize, just the election.
           He needs a majority vote, but he’s got that by one of the greatest landslides in history. I’ve mentioned how the radical left and their Democrat puppets are focused on a few swing states, they obviously want a delayed vote count so they can harvest those spots. Trump is showing up in places that have not voted Republican in living memory. The left is becoming increasingly bewildered why Trump is not fighting back on their own terms. Because he’s smarter than they are, that’s why. I support Trump only in that he is a businessman. And his knack for making liberals eat their own, that I would love in the devil himself.

           Politics never quit and now that Supreme Court opening is an opportunity and then some. Whereas I believe in term limits to a degree what I’m really against is life-time appointments for non-elects. I was referring to civil servants, but there I would take away their right to vote as long as they were employed by any government office. The Supreme Court and make powerful rulings and there is talk that Trump will appoint Ted Cruz. Not that long ago, this blog pointed out that Cruz had become a real conservative fire-breather and had no reservations getting in the face of liberals. But I see he also, probably inadvertently, also grilled a lot of left-leaning Republican senators. I believe it is senators who must approve the choice of a Justice. If so, Hannity points out both the Democrats and just-said Republicans will vote yes just to rid of him
           It is noteful that Cruz is not bitter for losing against Trump. Look closely at his campaign back then. He listened pollsters and banksters, he ran his campaign on the guidelines the liberals have winkled into place that favored themselves. He tried to run the same way that was established by the insiders, with good-grooming, balanced talking points, the whole shitteree. He lost to a rival who used facts, issues, reality, and had no fear of being called bad names. If he makes this appointment, watch out. He has first hand experience watching Trump purge a system of its phony inhibitions. And now he’s heard Trump say “bullshit” during a re-election campaign. Times have changed, Nancy, did you hear the crowd cheering? Somebody pick her carcass off the damn floor, she’s scaring the dog again.

           The Democrats are trying every blocking tactic, including saying the replacement must be a woman and that although the law says the President can fill the seat, he should wait until after the election so that the matter can be “fairly considered”. I say let the radical left fry, let them fry and record the sizzle for the benefit of college campuses, and play it over the house PA system twice a day. If you are not left-wing in college, you can rarely get higher than a B+ grade on most exams. How about the A.I. software that determines employee relevance? If it starts to can millennials and leftists, they’ll scream it doesn’t work.
           And, says this blog, you have got to love those new Linksys and NetGear routers and switches that require you to “register” to your “account” to get the damn things to work. Once a company with any computerized product goes full millennial, they can never be trusted ever again. They will claim to fix this but instead will make it automatic behind your back. When exposed they will claim it was for “your own protection”, “national security”, or “to protect children”. And they will force upgrade you by making their new equipment incompatible and refusing to support the old. You done been told.

Picture of the day.
Chinese flood.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           It’s my Halloween yard leaf. This is on the big “pumpkin” tree and its cousins, all nearly twenty feet tall in the back yard. Since they shade the south wall of the shed in the mornings I left them in place. As I was weeding the planter this leaf, over a foot across, stared right at me. A blog first. And the scooter battery died a hard death. It won’t even take a trickle charge or respond to the best such efforts of the robot club equipment. It’s like it fried itself overnight.
           In my on-going look at COBOL, or more accurately, the COBOL furor, I see many dozen new commands have been instituted since I took the course. Back then the best computers and monitors had 16-color graphics. COBOL had to output statements in general use, PRINT and DISPLAY. It is the on-screen stuff that would disappoint the gamers. It looks like the old Hollywood movies that flashed “Alien Virus Loading”. The software is designed to output business reports, one line at a time. However, it is the newer ability to comb databases that gets my attention.

           While I can’t on the spur think of a single useful program I would have for COBOL, the language and environment has me interested again. For me right now, the hurdle is installing a compiler, which was just not taught back in the day. The math department had a bunch of drones to do that work. I’ve found several that emulate a mainframe and I’m leisurely comparing their merits. I’m participating in a newsletter style chat group in which we get to critique actual COBOL program samples. There is an unbridgeable gap in educational standards. I reject all listings that don’t show full file paths, or have decoration on comment lines, and most file names. Others let it go, but programming to an educated man is all about attention to detail.

           There are several issues that make me unpopular with the hipster and millennial coders. For example, my comments tell them only what is wrong, not what to do. One favorite of mine is to circle comments and say “rewrite in English”. Some of them have never figured out I mean full sentences that start with a capital letter and end with a period and two spaces. No underscores allowed and field names must contain full information what they stand for. That means “CUSTOMER NAME”, not “CUST_ID”. And every output must contain the date in the upper right corner and an end of report message. In the working storage division, all variables must be descriptive and be declared local or global even where such a distinction is not required.
           I would have made an excellent programmer and maybe the game is not over yet. There seems to be some contorted logic driving their complicated coding of loop structure. Strange behavior for people who find typing a chore. I “re-logic” all my loops so they follow similar syntax and act the same. It’s only right. And all of them are guilty of fall-through programming. I’m only there to find out what the competition is doing. And they are not doing well.
           I was out there just two hours this afternoon before being driven inside. Was it the heat or the rain? Nope, Paul Anka. Some radio station decided he was a rock star. What kind of message is “Havin’ My Baby” for a stoned concert crowd? It stayed in the 80s, so I weeded the front, even finding a petunia bush with white flowers, somewhat rare in these parts. I got my spare scooter battery out, but it is for the red scooter and twice to large to shoehorn into the Yamaha. I finished eight feet of storage shelving and am finally moving things out of the kitchen. That would be a big deal, since nothing much has been moved since November of 2018. That’s if Paul Anka will let me.
           Trivia. Da Vinci had books containing 44,000 of his drawings. Only 14,000 survive. So that you know, he did an autopsy on his best friend and found he died of clogged arteries. Da Vinci, then 67 years old, became a vegetarian. Did you get that, Monsanto? Historians say we use some 2,500 of Da Vinci’s inventions in some in everyday life.

           I moved a stuff out of the house I should have thrown out long ago, and maybe I will now that I can get to it. I found this picture, it was given to me by one of my fans who quit her job and moved in with this guy to raise abandoned horses. In particular mares who had breeding difficulties and were not wanted by other organizations. I believe this is the guy, named Stan, but I never met him and the date on the picture of 2014 is coded to alert me it was a date estimated afterward. She’s crossed my mind a few times but I can’t place her name.
           This is the lady that brought me in for bingo on Mondays, but we never made a go at it. Then the pub sold out to Sweeney’s and the place was all downhill after that. It changed from a neighborhood spot to a Russian style drinking assembly line. I may try to find more info in the blog If you recognize any of this, leave me a comment. I read comments, I don’t publish them.

ADDENDUM
           Taking the evening off, I thought to watch a series of documentaries hailed as the most accurate presentation of the Second World War. Presented by Janson Media, it’s the Classic Pictures Entertainment version of things. It’s a joke. The photos don’t match the narration and despite giving a lot of technical details on weapons, the translations of the German speakers are woefully simplified and all too often the script regurgitated known propaganda lies as history. It’s heavily based on the rewritten history texts of the 1980 period onward, where it is permitted to praise the high quality of German equipment, but not the bravery of the soldiers. They go on about the terrible decisions made by Hitler, but don’t mention the gigantic foul-ups of the Allies. Not a word about fiascos, hoodwinks, and boondoggles. Building mud highways to Alaska, the Black Widow airplane to shoot targets that never existed, and everything from bad torpedoes to tanks that caught on fire by themselves. Billions of tax dollars to corporations that today control the country.
           And I’ve got the word to go easy on Janson Media, as they only broadcast the military documentaries, not produce them.

           I had to watch, often in disbelief that anybody could believe such hogwash. One thing I would really like to see is somebody peel the lid off this crap that Montgomery and Patton were great military leaders and strategists. Compared to junior German officers, these jokers were a couple of dinosaurs. All the footage was stock and meant to put across a point of view, but read the comments for how badly they got so much of it wrong. It is too biased an account to be taken seriously, yet this is largely the version that is pawned off to today’s students. When the GI is brave, he’s a hero. When the German is brave, he’s a fanatic. It was actually bad enough that I watch several of them to the end.
           Here’s a few facts to chew on. Hitler did no have to manufacture excuses to “attack without warning”, as both Poland and France were in breach of the peace treaty by massing their armies on the frontiers. Blitzkrieg is not a German military concept, it’s a phrase invented by British newspapers. And Hitler did not suddenly rearm Germany, it was a long slow process underway and he was largely swept up by it. Oh, and world domination is a concept that arose 3,000 years before Hitler was born. Did I just say “noteful”.

Last Laugh
PPP
           x margin-bottom: 1em; margin-right: 1em; margin-top: 1em; margin-left: 1em;