Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, September 19, 2020

September 19, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 19, 2019, yard work.
Five years ago today: September 19, 2015, my display is unique.
Nine years ago today: September 19, 2011, this tribe in Tibet.
Random years ago today: September 19, 2010, me in 1983?

           A good day, I can tell in advance. I want to secure the new shed not that it is in daily use. Expect door pictures, and I’m imagining a type of overhead shutter for the window, something I can raise and drop from the inside. Most expensive parts of the project the past week? Hardware, in particular the hinges. Since they are security, I don’t want to skimp. The hinges and latches are approaching $60. Lumber doesn’t count, there is a budget for that. Which brings me to this month’s financing. I’ve already shelled out over $1,400. Yep, that’s over budget, but keep going here.
           I’m averse to spending anything that doesn’t do some good. For things that matter, there is the budget just mentioned. Over time, it’s curious to see what sort of items have become budgetized, considering how well I live. But this month is already long gone, time to keep busy at home. JZ was supposed to show up y’day around 6:00PM. The money that’s gone out so fast this period includes things like car insurance, a new water pump, and over $200 in lumber and hardware. Advance auto parts almost refused to sell me the water pump without a phone number “that was registered in my name”. That’s how pervasive electronic tracking has become.

           The clerks don’t help either. They’ve been indoctrinated. The fat 30-ish woman who made the above statement said her purchases were on file and nothing bad had happened to her. Folks, that’s because she was a loser. I got her to pull it up what she thought was nothing. She was huffed when I pointed out that in addition to her local phone number, I now know what she drove, approximately where she lived, when she shopped, what days she was away from home, and that she must live within commuting distance—and I had only glanced at the first page of her file. Give me ten minutes, I’ll hand her a home address, cellular carrier, ISP, payday, vehicle registrations, mortgage details, and her on-line resume. “Oh”, she grunted. Then, I think, she grunted again.
           The water pump comes with a warranty, but not really. Once again, in contravention to the law, the company policy is that they don’t honor any product unless they have you on file. Nonsense, as long as you have the receipt, you can return anything in new condition for 30 days. Remember the Harbor Freight manager who refused to take back the broken grinder? It was twenty bucks so I told him to shove it up his nostril and left. He was quietly transferred out not long later. Hopefully, to some wonderful Florida cow town, where he cold fester with more of his own social equals. Never hand me the Nazi excuse of “just doing your job”.

           Biggest change this month is the Wal*Mart charge cards. I’ve found a location that sells the cash cards without insisting too much on ID. (See previous passage on why you don’t want to use a credit card on-line.) There have always been lax places, but to do business, I need one that never checks. You would not believe the name I gave them.
           A cool day, only up to 85°F, so expect some results. I found a spare car jack a while back and decided to give it an oil bath today. It came out in perfect working order and I think I’ll build it a carry box. Here it is lying on an old dead fan, with Memphis II on top to give it some color. The chrysanthemums, as figured, did not take to the transplant. I got the planter topped off with the best topsoil from the back yard, along with the recommended extra fertilizer for garden plants. I had time to spray all the yard plants with Sevin. All are doing fine, but our hopes are with the avocado. The two opposite are that avocado and the peach tree. The avocado needs close attention while the peach tree is now skinny but twelve feet tall and looking like a second crop.

Picture of the day.
Vintage Astatic.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The day stayed temperate so here are more yard pics. This is some new flower that grows on a bush that started in the neighbor’s yard. Now it is all through the fence. I’ll get Agt. R to name it. Some of these can turn into beautiful bushes if trimmed right. This one is beside the planter and could get all the attention it wants if it produces. Much as I know you wanted more door pictures, I crawled under the existing work bench and am maybe half-way to rigging up a full length shelf to get things off the work counter. I can clutter up a flat surface with the best of them.
           Weed control was next, I got all the walk paths sprayed. Calm and above 60°F means within 48 hours I may be able to get through to the shed without getting soaked by morning dew. If I don’t tucker, I might spray the chicken coop area, which is so overgrown you can’t see anything else. I also took the new shovel to work and cleared a trench for the runoff rainwater from the neighbor’s shed. It has to get a foot deep now and I can always make the trench longer.

           Inside the work shed, the floor is uneven it was the highest part of the yard, causing rainwater to run toward the existing sheds. Now, the area is covered, meaning I could probably dig it down half a foot, salvaging all that good soil. But that can wait until I get around to building another planter or more. I stood back on the COBOL issue as too time-consuming for now. It’s amusing to see the media attack COBOL as an “outdated” language. It wasn’t a software problem at all—which I revealed on day one. It was a failure of the system and COBOL became the scapegoat. What crashed was websites, phone lines, lazy state employees, and management.
           The truth emerges. New Jersey was the place that screamed for help with COBOL, but when a bunch of COBOL people showed up to help, the State sent them home. So what’s up? Ah, there is nothing some people would like better than to have those departments still using COBOL switch to a far more vulnerable C+ language. For reasons. You see, for security, almost the entire global credit card system uses COBOL. And rumor has it the newest round of IBM mainframes also center on COBOL. It remains the language that’s easiest to read and maintain of all computer languages in daily use. And this blog spelled it out moments after the so-called crisis was orchestrated.

           It’s an owie—here’s the yard worker’s occupational hazard. It’s worse than it looks but if a million people want to send me a dollar each to have it tended to, I’ll accept most graciously. That reminds me, the stretch tape comes off today. The clinic gave me the standard lecture on how to get it off without pain. But fact is, I’m far enough down the evolutionary scale that I don’t have hair on my back. That’s not the only thing I lack in common with the monkey boys. I accidentally scrape the backs of my hands, not walk on them.
           Before I move on from computers, there is another similar language I passed with flying colors, called FORTRAN, which meant formula translation. There have always been arguments about which language is the best—which caused the turn for the worst. When programming began being taught at universities, the eggheads moved in. They always do. I don’t know when this happened, but they were already in evidence when I began studying computer “science” in my mid-teens. As usual, nerds became elitist and worked overtime to make their code unreadable. It did not fool we tutorial assistants, but it sure fooled MicroSoft. The fact is, these early C+ advocates did not like languages that could be read by people without a background in underlying computer principles. For that matter, they hated it. I may get back to you on this COBOL thing yet. I cannot be the only person out there who sees what is really going on.

ADDENDUM
           Told ya, the Democrats are planning a dirty fight. It’s now got a name, “Red Mirage”. Dozens of the fake polls are laying the groundwork for the false argument that Biden’s numbers are higher than Trumps. It’s a blatant lie designed to make losers think they have plenty of company, but also to fuel claims after the Trump re-election that he must have cheated. The Democrats have recruited a huge staff of liberal lawyers to contest every state with a narrow Trump margin. The radical left has fed the beast too long to let a small group of undecided voters suddenly give Trump an absolute majority. I’m not the person to ask, but I think if Trump gets 76 million confirmed votes, that’s more than half. That would negate the mail-in votes as fakes.
           The left has not forgotten that Trump got in by the electoral vote. More units of the country’s voting system chose Trump over the higher total vote count than the Hildebeest. They are determined to not let that happen again. But I say they are wrong again. They are treating their historical voting blocs as a given to focus on the battleground states. I say they’ve lost the support they presume will be there for them. I say several dozen of their strongholds have lost faith in the Democrats over their atrocious behavior, and all the hoaxes and poor judgment. They may tie up the results, which is their intention, but they are not going to know what hit them from behind.

Last Laugh