Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, October 17, 2020

October 17, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 17, 2019, never suspecting.
Five years ago today: October 17, 2015, hmmm, early teleprompter advice.
Nine years ago today: October 17, 2011, pseudo-virtual dating?
Random years ago today: October 17, 2008, Coral Castle.

           I just made the worst batch of cookies in my life. I double-checked all ingredients, all fresh but they came out tasting like raw sugar. My conclusion is somehow I managed to use a margarine (it’s habit for cookies here) that was too low in vegetable oil. I usually shoot for 80%+ but mistakes are easy to make if you don’t real labels even on familiar brands—American companies are sneaky as hell. Good morning. I slept in, it was 1° below the record hot y’day and no better today. This calls for a break, find something for distraction. Your budget is $100, what would you do? No political rallies, though.
           We’re getting enough craziness from the media, who know they’ve distanced themselves from the American public. I mentioned one would change sides and I’ve been offered several bets on who. I decline, since they are all so bad I can’t even guess. None of them are covering the bombshell story of how the Biden’s sold out America and lined their own pockets. Remember, America is Al Capone country. Even if they are convicted, the family gets to keep most of the goods.

           Feast your eyes on my extended work bench, with the first chop saw installed. This is the smallest chop saw and most used. It’s positioned exactly center and can cut up to an eight-foot board, longer by opening the north door. I’ve decoded to leave a work space on the bench by only putting two saws on the bench. This will allow space for a small grinder and a vise, but for now, the saws are a priority. I love the freedom this shed provides and I have enough in petty cash for a bar fridge, a K-cup coffee maker, and an unlimited supply of bottled water. Those are only planned.
           The leftoids are really upset that their plans to politicize the Supreme Court have been foiled. That, and their increasing desperation, it spells trouble for us all. If they will lock down the economy to attack one man, imagine what they’re going to do when he’s elected with a solid majority. They are going after the court appointee with a vengeance of Rowe vs. Wade, the abortion issue. That is something I have an opinion on. Allow me.

           I strongly agree that it is a woman’s choice what she does with her body—as well as the consequences of those decisions. She should be able to get an abortion, but I should not have to pay for it, directly nor indirectly. This harks back to my user-pay attitude toward most situations where risk is involved. There’s no clear dividing line, but if there is, pregnancy is solidly on one side of it. Nobody gets pregnant “by accident”. She should be able to get the abortion along with the bill. It’s a personal decision that isn’t really anybody else’s business. Having said that, let me retell my own experience.
           When I was quite young, I knew about birth control and discussed it with my girlfriend. She found out you needed a prescription, and it was denied by the lady doctor at the hospital. Reason given, the doctor knew her mother, who also worked at the hospital. But dammit, it was a hospital town and most people knew each other. I wonder to this day how many forced marriages, divorces, broken homes, and wasted lives were caused by that doctor. What she did was a moral decision, not a medical one. She was unqualified to dispense anything but drugs, really.

           Which brings up a related issue that is strongly linked to abortion. It’s the way “medical records” have become a twisted invasion of privacy. I’ve talked to women to had abortions and none of them felt comfortable with the amount of lifestyle information demanded by the doctor or his clinic. They were leaned on for information that was none of the doctor’s business—lmaybe the lady does not want the father’s name on file. I should be able to walk into a doctor’s office, say my name is George, and get a checkup without filling out ten or more forms first. Why does the doctor need my birthdate when my age should suffice? Why does he need my home address? My ID? My occupation? Or my mother’s maiden name? I’m not applying for CIA clearance, for crying out loud. You get the idea. I can only imagine what these bastards put a pregnant teenager through.
           I’m well aware of surprise medical billing, I lost a Cadillac over it. Trump’s law forcing them to publish prices will go a long way, but he still has to curb the nonsense that the doctor can demand a credit application or refuse treatment. That’s what it amounts to. As for hikers that go off the marked trail, I say rescue them—then send them the bill. That is the most effective solution for such situations. There are many regrettable choices people have to make, the taxpayer should not encourage wrong ones by picking up the tab. That covers the situation where women give birth while on welfare. I should not have to pay for it. Other than the money part, it isn’t my business.
Picture of the day.
Family size elbows.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Ta-dah, my first unnecessary repair on the new bench, the woodpecker birdhouse. Remember this early 2018 project? It was never occupied and sources say it is usually the location. Move it around annually until it’s taken. No, it did not get moved in 2019, there were other things on my plate. The significance is this is the hopeful return to at least some hobby work. The kitchen if freed up and I’m putting up shelf space for all things that don’t need to be inside. The lean-to has proven safe and dry, that spot would be a great place to set up the music gear. Unlike the house, it is not soundproofed.
           Weyburn, that’s the name of the town we were driving to the day my Canadian uncle locked us outside the car and smoked cigarettes. RofR and I were around 13 and never been east of Kalispell in that part of the world. He knew about blizzards and knew there was one coming, we had no idea it could go from 60°F to -10°F in five minutes in that part of the world during an Indian summer. He tricked us into standing outside to “catch the famous sunshine” and locked the car doors, laughing away. Weyburn, it’s in Saskatoon, the next province over from Alberta. I know Alberta, took a semester there.
           I checked a custom guitar site Warmoth to find the latest on thin necks. I noticed they offer Indian Rosewood necks. Isn’t that the brand that Democrat lady raided Gibson Guitars over shortly after Gibson made a campaign contribution to Trump? They list 18 other woods with names like Purpleheart, Roasted Flame Maple, Bloodwood, Wenge, and Padouk. Ha, ha, I’d say is that their neck of the woods or their woods of the neck, but that’s too melodramatic for a serious blog like this. Anyway, their guitar necks each cost more than all my guitars put together.

Last Laugh