Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, October 16, 2020

October 16, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 16, 2019, pharaohnic
Five years ago today: October 16, 2015, were they aiming for Hunter?
Nine years ago today: October 16, 2011, Internet voting, my style.
Random years ago today: October 16, 2013, tonneau cover.

           More e-mails, more released documents, for the leftists, the damn is busting. Good morning, it’s another day off, but I think I’ll work on the shed. If I can rig up a music system in there, it will spare me the Tampa crap. I still have not figures out a way around blocked MP3s, that is files that be listened to but no downloaded. I’ve checked several sites but got nothing but Millennial non-answers. “What MP3 player are you using” type drivel, Iike it’s any of his business. I’ve got $36 left in this month’s budget, those two batteries and the water pump have come home to roost. And it may not have been the pump, although the replacement solved several other issues, like infrequent overheating.


           I got into the shed and wasted nearly three hours because of a shortcut I took last March or April. The north side of the shed had to be enclosed in a hurry due to an impending storm, so I threw a brace across the last two uprights and promptly forgot about it. Since then, shelving, electrical, and other things have taken place. Then, as I went to connect a light switch, I noticed there was no backing board. This involved removing several pickets and feeding the board from the inside, behind the wiring. Lots of fun, I was in and out of the shed an estimated 35 times. Like drilling pilot holes inside, then getting outside to realize the screw shaft won’t fit far enough through the chain link fence to bury the screws. Here’s me pointing to the board, and the wall behind it. One hour to build, three hours to repair.

           Let’s see, I’m supposed to record what did get done. A new brace across the east door, it already tended to sag. Regulation wire staples along all the new wiring. Measure and cut another workbench wall brace. But mostly it was fixing that shortcut and the positive part of that was I worked well past mid-morning before even taking a break, and then on to 1:00PM before the heat got intense. That’s basically a three-hour extension of morning work on a super hot day. I also ran in a clothes pole to hang things as they come out of the dryer. They wrinkle if I wait until I get them inside.
           I’ve also measured a spot to put a small clothesline near the shed washer. Back inside, that’s enough for the morning. I made baked chicken breasts. I could not find my buttercup. Huh? That’s what a call my only piece of crystal, it was a cream pitcher for something fancy but I use it only for the purpose of melting butter. It holds half a stick. It disappeared. So I quit looking and found it. A tiny piece of table napkin had fallen over it, just big enough hide the thing from the angle I was looking. Right there I thought, I’m working too hard and it was siesta time.
           St. Elmo’s Fire, the DVD. I threw it on because I’ve never seen it. After the initial ten minutes of grade B acting, I understand why. I like the song, sort of, plus before the movie, only one person in a thousand seems to have known what St. Elmo’s Fire even was. It was boring enough that I watched a video on the recent article that Trump will fire everybody if he gets a second term. It’s interesting conjecture, but he can’t do that so easily. When Nixon tried it, they ganged up and impeached him. Also, he has far to many “relatives” in the business, if you get my meaning. I do side with those that say mass firing is in order, hiring back only the loyal people.

           And you got to had it to those liberals for mucking things up. Turns out the last Town Hall meeting with Biden was staged. The questioners included former Obama employees, including a speechwriter, and other Democrat operatives or their wives. Did you know the original “lockdown” was supposed to be just 14 days to allow hospitals to prepare for flu victims? It was never designed to prevent spread of disease and quite frankly, anybody who thinks it can is a dolt. Some 70% of people who catch the virus wear masks outdoors all the time. The average age of Americans who die from covid is 78, which is also the life expectancy. Who’s zooming who?

Picture of the day.
Menai Bridge.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Three more hours in the shed, I’m fixing to extend the counter on the north wall so all chop saws are in one place and all tables the same height. The stump of the old grapefruit tree doesn’t make things easier. It is right where I would like to sink a post. That would conclude a major project, the shed. Far from finished, it will soon be capable of everything it was planned for. I’m keeping an eye out for a cheap bar fridge, which is another sign of the increasing efficiency around here. I recognize that when I take a break to get a cold drink from the house, it’s fifteen minutes before I get back. I’ve still got a few of the GFCI receptacles from the ReStore that are defective so I’m throwing the whole lot out. They’ve cause me more trouble than they are worth once they got mingled with my good units. Wondering if they were repairable, I cracked one open.
           The answer is no. The guts are an advanced maze of surface mounted transistors and their support gear. I thought since these devices have been around a long time, the insides might be reduced to a few working components. The circuitry is a maze, for example the AC power must be converted to DC to run the circuit board. I’m going to find time to see if I can identify any parts. Going on-line showed no results for a picture of this circuit board. It is very common around here to discover there are no Internet “experts” on all kinds of things I need. I finally did find a picture of the circuit board, but I prefer my own.

           Later, here is the PCB (printed circuit board). I’ve identified many of the parts, but learned a lot. There appear to be small modular resistors and capacitors with standard parts only where needed. Every bit is machine assembled. There is a relay, a rectifier, and a copper coil. The coil is probably a solenoid but as shown here, the relay is on the opposite end of the device. It’s that round white thing under the copper strips on the far right in the middle panel.
           Alas, I won’t have time to investigate this to what I want, I’ve got some music to practice. When I say I’m not that good, that is mainly by my own standards. Just before dark, I swung past the old club and I would have made a fortune in there last night. I think some mills around here must hand out the paychecks after work on Fridays. That’s the crowd I’m after and it represents over half of the attendance on any given night. I also noted what was played on the juke box, most of it was blah.
           If you can’t be good, be novel, I say. I’ve come up with another trick of the trade. On bass, I never leave out intros and outros, but on guitar, let’s take a look. Unless you can fancy-pick, most guitarist skip right into the singin’ part of the song. New country tends toward opening flourishes, which got me thinking. As I’m practicing my guitar, I noticed something. Rather that outright leave those parts, I would often vocally mimic the riff. Listen to the intro to “That’s My Story” to get the drift. Several times this was caught on tape, and you know, corny or not, it adds a real dimension by letting the crowd recognize the tune. I’ve also learned to capo most of the tunes I play in A.
           Yep, I probably would have made $250 in tips last night. And you know another song that’s making a good comeback? It’s not the version I recall, but try “Good Hearted Woman”. I always like that song.

           Ford paid his workers highly, so they could afford to buy the cars they were making. That wage was $5 per day. Next, I read that a Model A was assembled in 93 minutes. That means the labor costs were $7.55 per unit. His novelty was not mass production, that’s a misconception. His innovation was the conveyor belt assembly line. Here’s you trivia, what was the first popular item mass produced in America? It’s a bit of a trick question, because for mass production, you need to undergo an industrial revolution—and the British banned such machines in the colonies. Somebody had to build an illegal factory, but they did and the product was wood-burning stoves. Makes sense.
           In stark recognition of sleazy American phone contracts, it was announced by UPI that the first cellular service on the Moon will be Nokia, subsidized by NASA. Most common fake “local dealer” ads on Google are locksmiths and appliance repair.

ADDENDUM
           Let me tell you something. The next prick who quotes that png files are superior “because they have a transparent background” should be taken out behind the barn and shot with a ball of his own shit. Those of us who know the formats are sick and tired of that one half-tard argument that does not fly with us. I don’t want any background in my photos that I didn’t put there. You heard me. I would still like to know the derogatory phrase for people that repeat the obvious. I’d call it the Hawkin’s Disorder or something but not enough people would get my meaning. I only know of the guy because his articles get in the way when I’m researching.
           Microsoft is still the worst and one outfit following their lead might be Cliqz, the browser. Get this, when you open a new tab, it is blank with a single text box across the top. How can you screw that up? For Cliqz, it was easy. You don’t make the text box active. I mean, Cliqz, just what in hell do you think people want to do next? Maybe you think they want to just sit there and stare at their blank grey splash screen, what the hell, they're just surfing the Internet with the same mental depth you do, right? No big deal if they have to stop, find the cursor, position it over the box, click, let go of the mouse, and get back to the keyboard to type in keywords. Every time. Duh. These are the same dodo-types that donate broken gear to Thrifts, like the GFCI I had to replace just now. You can’t see it [the replacement part] in this picture because it already has things plugged into it.

           In one of the top displays of lily-livered obsequiousness, The Webster dictionary people are apparently changing definitions in their on-line dictionary if you complain you find the current wording offensive. What? Apparently, make that if you complain, they’ll change it, unless you are white. In that case, suffer, you had it comin’.
Last Laugh

(latest Rasmussen poll.)