Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, November 1, 2020

November 1, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 1, 2019, the foggy cold.
Five years ago today: November 1, 2015, a factor of 75.
Nine years ago today: November 1, 2011, a 15-year supply.
Random years ago today: November 1, 2010, remember $25 camcorders?

           Time for a leisurely drive around the lake. It was fun because the predicted cold snap was late and most people stayed home. Here’s Sparkie on the shore, far too old and wise to waste energy chasing ducks. He’s having a hard go of things with his new kidney problems so needs a lot more attention before he settles into a new routine. That includes new diet, new exercises, new meds, generally that’s why I’m here. It was not the best of times for things to pile up. In the end, we drove the entire circuit without finding a place open to grab a coffee.

(Video has sound.)
           Diet or no, I still like that morning coffee to get going. I even stopped at the mall, but thanks to daylight savings, it was an hour early. So, leaving the boys to loll on the memory foam, I checked out those new (to me) Bose sunglasses with the Bluetooth link. It’s a great alternative to headphones, I could not hear the difference between the $40 pair and the $250 model.
           I would need a Bluetooth transmitter for this to be compatible with my existing equipment. It seems I’m late to adopt technology, but the delay is not resistance to change, but my reluctance to invest unless the change proves itself for the better. Other than wireless computer connections, Bluetooth has never had that many advantages for me. I tend to perform music more than I listen to it. And I’ve had bad experiences with Bluetooth connections knocking out settings on my recording functions.

           Remember the guitar guy last week? He finally did send a short list of his favorites. As has happened so often before, he’s already forgotten we are talking of a country-music duo. He sends me Allman Brothers and Grateful Dead production numbers, like there is any chance of playing those in a duo with any faithful sound, or without a thought as to where we could play eight-minute electric guitar tunes around here. But I can and have worked with that before, it just takes a little more finesse to keep them thinking it’s all going their way.
           This is not a great negative here. I’m simply saying that if he wants to play certain highly orchestrated tunes in a duo, there are parts he will have to leave out. And I’m ready for that, because the more complicated the tune, the better I can play those fills on bass.

           I point out he did not say he was only interested in country, When he said he’d played country, I asked for a list of his Johnny Cash favorites. While 90% of the world is going to think of “Folsom” and “Tennessee Flat Top”, true to guitar player form, he sends me an obscure 1958 single that only made it to #4. At least it was not a Hippie B-side. The tune is “Big River”. His other Cash offering was “Sunday Morning Coming Down”, which was recorded with a mall orchestra. And some other tunes so unfamiliar we didn’t know which was the title and which was the artist.
           Ha, but this is exactly what I’m used to. Within a couple hours, I have most of the tunes ready, except the Allman thing, which I’ll pretend I need more time on until it is forgotten. I’ve applied my trusty formula of determining which of two ways the average guitarist can approach these tunes and have a subtle but custom bass line that plays a lot of what he can’t. This technique, where we are rarely playing the same thing, but meshing the sound, is very important to me. I’ve spent a lot of years working on it.

Picture of the day.
No thanks, I’ll walk.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           My appetite has gone away since Friday except for soft food. Reb points out the only thing I’ve had like a meal was the sandwich in Franklin. I’m supposed to be helping her recover and now she’s worried about me. Follow this, she says if I’m eating soft food, that the diet of the workers on the pyramids was soft. As in bread and beer. Sharp gal. She brought me a Budweiser and some healthy multi-grain bread. It was not a bad combination, it contributed to one super afternoon nap. Come to think of it, Reb, back in the pyramid days, all the bread was multi-grain.
           This photo you may have to interpret. This yard up the block went all out on the Halloween theme. This is a mini-graveyard, I mean, who comes up with this stuff? Look at the expression on Sparkie’s face. Could be even he can’t bear to look at it. Tombstones on the front yard. Hand me another Budweiser.

           I’m no longer used to the sound of a furnace kicking in, so that kept me awake some. Long enough to read the booklet again about creationism. I can tell you right off which is the stronger argument. I was closely going over the few specific examples which hardly build a real case against evolution. I’ve read Darwin’s book and he uses a distinctive reasoning to show his conclusions, never contradicting any Biblical accounts, and never denying there were gaps in his proof. That’s an important point,, that he acknowledges not having complete fossil records.
           This is where creationists become unconvincing. They make weak attempts to apply Darwin’s own form of logic against him, right down to his own vocabulary. Where were all their proofs along this avenue before Darwin came along? They also take great exception that only evolution is taught in the schools. Actually, there are dozens of rather important subjects not taught either, such as money management and critical thinking, which hardly bother them at all.
           Nor has it occurred to them that there are the same sort of discrepancies in the Bible or what happens to that book when subjected to a bone-by-bone comparison. There is also that annoyance whereby one theory purports to be a complete and final explanation of everything in the universe, while the other is a self-correcting and on-going study constantly seeking more iinput. Makes you wonder which version is really the more user-friendly.

Last Laugh