Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, November 22, 2020

November 22, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 22, 2019, generic Tennessee day.
Five years ago today: November 22, 2015, none of this happened.
Nine years ago today: November 22, 2011, Rice Krispies, music.
Random years ago today: November 22, 2006, provided they are consistent.

           It was an epic windstorm but everything at my place survived. The tarpaper, tarps, and everything vulnerable. What got me was those Florida weeds. Find me two days of good weather and who knows what I might find. Enjoy these views of the yard, like the crop in my raised planter. I see it was not my poor soil and fertilizer that failed. What are those larger leaves? Corn? No, corn would be useful and this is central Florida.
           A nice overcast and I was out there cleaning up the car. Howie says there are some excellent panel trucks for sale over in Eagle Lake. I checked with my people here and it is not worth repairing Unit 31, the station wagon. It runs well enough but I foresee the need for something far more reliable in the very near run.

           Getting around town, I didn’t miss much. Agt. R was in Brooksville, I’m surprised I didn’t run into him while I was through there last day. It’s a knack I have for bumping into people, always have. How oddball, but I was expecting my birdfeeders to be empty and they have not been touched since I left. In fact, there was no evidence of bird life since I returned. I checked front and back yards. The neighbor’s girl has a new pet kitten, but it wears a bell. This yard used to teem with bird life. Now we have Matilda who gets treated like royalty. She eats the cat food on Howie’s veranda and she’s this plump.
           That “pistachio” tree the other neighbor planted is taking over my yard. This sprung up in the time I was gone right on the property line. It’s now ten feet tall. Notable in this show are my new privacy fence, one of the restoral tractors and the agave plant from the Meadowlands last year. It is one of four clippings from that source now all around the yard at strategic points. I talked to JZ and he’s not doing that great, so maybe we’ll set the guy to work cooking a turkey. I should get there tomorrow afternoon, no rush.

           My people out west are convinced Trump has lost and won’t admit it. That’s totally drinking the Democrat kool-aid. I’d rather wait and see although I do hope the libtards get their backsides handed to them. I never could stand their operational tactics of shaming people into submission. Putting people on live TV and forcing them to say they support immigration or their house gets burned down. Such tactics belong in Canada, but not here.
           The point gets sharpened daily that the radical left has to avoid a court battle. They must block before then or the shoe could be on the other foot, that is, them having to prove they didn’t cheat. The question of the day is if they are so sure they won, why all the objections to a recount? And why is Biden crowdsourcing for money to defend himself? These and more answered on BitChute, all I do is add my own commentary. If you thought Nancy Pelosi has an annoying voice and manner, give a listen to that Sidney Powell.

Picture of the day.
Facebook headquarters.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           There is a new plant appearing around the yard, this one I kind of like because it forms a low ground cover. If you recognize it, leave a comment. Here it is growing in one of my clay pots, it’s fern-like but not a moss. It’s probably seasonal or I’d plant it in the shady spots. Cleaning the car took half the day, but I was moving an repositioning things and putting together the mattress frame. No, I never told you about that except the dogs love that memory foam. While this is going on, I’m taking a closer look at a small delivery van, such as the Ford Transit Connect. It’s getting more real every day.
           It’s a delivery or cargo van with a raised ceiling. The advantages for me are these handle like a small car. With time, I’ve found sleeping in my station wagon is not as comfortable as I like, especially crawling in and out. That’s find until you are 55-ish. It’s the cargo area that sells me. Big enough for a real sleeping area and high enough to sit up in. Very important to me on the road. Downside I don’t like the enclosed side panels. I like windows all around, tinted enough to stop casual on-lookers, the more so if I leave pets in the vehicle. Today’s shoppers are a nasty, nosey bunch.

           I’ve not decided on a Transit, rather checking out features I want. The 2.0L motor is next to useless, but adequate for my 350 mile per day average driving habit (by motorcycle). I’ve viewed several that are camperized somewhat, my needs are basic there. A bed, a coffee maker, a fold down desk. And an axe, I like to have an axe handy. For reasons. Otherwise the micro camper concept works for me. One innovative idea I liked is a small “funnel sink” that you can, ahem, spit into from inside the van and it just drains out behind one of the rear tires. Kind of handy. Most of the conversions I looked at went way overboard with people living inside. Myself, I’ll pay for a shower at the rest stops and I can cook anything with propane. Except decent coffee.
           Food. It’s time for a review. Fudge brownies. I admit to using a store-bought base mix, add egg & oil. It’s nearly impossible to find this product without additives, so shop around to find the friendliest. This is not diet food, shown here I’m chopping a mixture of walnuts and so-called protein snack crisps. Here’s where I cheat. I don’t stir them into the mix. Those days are gone. I sprinkle a single shallow layer on top to provide the illusion of decadence. After a life like mine, this works pretty fine.

           Music. I’m unable to locate my Alesis drum box. Maddening, because it is in a custom sealed case and I set it somewhere for security knowing I’d need it in perfect condition. My song lists are made up and I’m slowly getting a definitive strum for each tune. I’ve been using a cheapo metronome to make sure I get the strums compatible with either the box, or if somebody can play tambourine they’ll sound fine. I’m leaning more toward my old bass stage show as I gain guitar confidence, but that act has to be done without thinking about what you are playing. Easy enough for me on bass but don’t expect miracles on the guitar.
           What I mean is keeping the audience focused on the stage without imposing, a fine balance that plain does not work with some crowds. You learn to avoid such groups, they are typified by old lounges that have had the same clientele for twenty years. The trick is to make them want to pay attention. Be wary, this works two ways. One of the worst distractions on stage is flattery, let me add. Don’t acknowledge verbally, just nod at the men and wink at the women. I guess what I’m saying is adulation is great, but just listen. Don’t be a lead player and inhale.

ADDENDUM
           I am miffed by those who push any political philosophy to its utter ridiculous limits. To me, the most sensible path is a mix of the good that can be found in stances that have a common goal. This is why moderate libertarianism appeals to me. Unbridled capitalism is not the answer to anything except that it serves as the driving force for an economy, the USA proves that too many times to deny. Notice I said driving force, as in underlying. That means those who want to get ahead should be allowed to. I’m not adopting the Ayn Rand mindset. I question her notion that selfishness is a virtue of capitalism—but I’m okay with them as long as they do not exploit humans. This is not a contradiction, you can exploit many resources other than human beings. Taking advantage of humans is called greed, which is bad.
           There is room in America for a third political contender. I’m suggesting it should be moderate libertarianism. If nothing else, it would force that moderation on the others and prevent them from dichotomizing every issue. I’m for such things as no income tax, but a tax based on consumption, even if economists say that is regressive. They are not considering the larger, long-term benefits. I’m for zero government interference on moral issues and I am user-pay all the way.
           I stand against any law that enforces sharing of earned resources, but not so much the unearned. I’m against laws that, for their enforcement, involve monitoring people’s private activities. I’m against censorship of all but severe crackpotism and the avocation of harm, without defining either. I believe the Constitution meant freedom of Christian religion and nothing else, which puts me far-right on that issue. But I’m for limits on inheritance which puts me far-left. The difference is I can accept both extremes in myself and others without becoming radicalized.

Last Laugh