Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, November 23, 2020

November 23, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 23, 2019, the latest box.
Five years ago today: November 23, 2015, the last stepper lab.
Nine years ago today: November 23, 2011, blog delayed.
Random years ago today: November 23, 2007, the turkey cooker.

           Arrived safe & sound in Coral Gables. Stand by for updates. I looked at this van, it is nice but not a camper. It has six seats and a lot of plastic in the back interior. The dogs would make mincemeat of that. The van is too big, it’s like driving a bus. And they want way too much money. The salesmen are amazing. They always tell you the model you are looking for has become rare and in high demand. This unit is much larger than it looks in this picture, you have to step up into the driver’s seat. And he won’t go under $6500, where I’d buy this at $4900. It’s a 2014 with 145,000 on the clock. Power everything, but that many more things that can go wrong.
           I got way by late afternoon, the holiday traffic was light and I arrived forgetting I was in a different time zone. That’s a hallmark of a good retirement. I know this is the 23rd, but would have to ask what day of the week it is. Because I no longer care. I forgot to set my clocks back so I’ve lived on Tennessee time a the cabin and it didn’t make a lick of difference.

           JZ won’t get cable, so he watches a lot of black & white reruns. So I talked him into heading downtown for a few beers. First we tried that new cowboy bar from the other day, it’s gone. Too bad, it was plainy popular with the college gals. You cannot beat American beauties in painted-on jeans. European can look just as good, but, how can I say this. Over there, they lack the lack of sophistication that makes ours so much sexier.
           So he orders an amber ale. Tap brand in a community glass. Nine dollars. He was miffed and insisted paying me back tomorrow. Sure. He still has not got his slow-down message and I say once you are over 60, the fall will be that much harder. Turns out he switched to ale because it’s easier on his innards. Jeez, if that’s all it took, I’d make the change myself.

Picture of the day.
Lace-up jeans.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I was half way to Miami when I remember I’d left this great Dallas quiche on the counter cooling. Will it still be good when I get home day after tomorrow? It’s covered and the weather over night has been comfortably cool. Shown here I’m lacing the top layer with black pepper, saying again this is not diet food. The recipe includes two cups of heavy cream and six eggs. Think around 850 calories per slice. But if you are only eating one big meal a day like your’s truly, this is the way to do it.
           I took the central route to make good time, keeping a close watch on those rear tires. If i cannot get a van at the right price, it would remain far cheaper to simply replace those “axles” or whatever they are called. The neighbor knows a backyard mechanic. I’ve had to drop Agt. R as unreliable keeping an eye on my place, so I’ve agreed to let the new guy use my garbage and recycle bins. I never fill them up and it saves them around $30 per month.

           It’s taking me half a day to get two hours work done. I’ve checked the yard, there will be a few days tedious grooming. If I could get JZ out there we’d have those trees trimmed and the rest of the fencing done in a day. Plus leveling that floor. He’s still resistant to change, including change of routine. My influence has been nil but he’s aware that I’ve adapted to the cabin, and Tennessee. He’s seeing one of his old girlfriends again, not to be compared to the Reb and I who never talk money. That breaks up relationships. Let me present my case.
           It’s not that the Reb & I don’t every mention the topic, but there is a mutual respect that before we met up again, we each took care of our own. Just beause we do a lot more together than planned, there is no good reason to tinker with that arrangement. Thirty years ago, before we were an item, I’d regularly pick up things like air fare or minor car repairs. But she always paid me back. I no longer expect that, but the same conditions apply as far as I’m concerned.

Last Laugh