Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

December 30, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 30, 2019, I never vegetate.
Five years ago today: December 30, 2015, spools of plastic.
Nine years ago today: December 30, 2011, they accept Paypal.
Random years ago today: December 30, xxxx, WIP

           One of those wasted days where one has to chase around getting the paperwork done just to get a vehicle on the road. Few things typify the degeneration and waste of the American system than this activity. The birthplace of the consumer automobile and the best some mentalities can come up with is a series of useless taxes and fees to gouge the buyer. I suspect the current generation will bring such activities to a fever pitch. They have to. Between them they have not invented one useful goddam thing in forty years. No, they did not invent the cell phone, the Internet, the electric car, or the gig economy.
           All morning, but it is done. We are now on the road legal. In your standard bureaucratic quirk, it is almost impossible to get a vehicle legal in this country without breaking some law. For instance, to get the vehicle license plates, you must first have the vehicle emissions tested, which is a mile up the road. Probably 90% of people just drive it without buying the temporary permit. Then there is insurance. Once you get the tag, you have to drive around uninsured to find an agent. Um and you better make at least one stop on the way, because agents very rarely have change for a twenty. (Still, I hear it is worse elsewhere.)

           Duran Tire Shop, south of Percy Pierce Lake, these guys are amazing, They had the tires replaced on my van in 13 minutes. I’ll try to get you the video after I get back home to my editing equipment. It was like choreography. The price? Ninety bucks for a matching set of Goodyears, installed. It was something else, I was more than impressed. The Reb left this morning, calling in to check as is custom nowadays. Until she mentioned it, I was only a bit aware that this was her first real break in over ten years. Normally, she would have taken the dogs, but I insisted.
           Meanwhile I’m trying to get the superb vehicle sound system to play my uploaded list of MP3s. It should be a simple matter, but I’m running into that retard “playlist” system that has never worked right. Oh, I understand it works for people who don’t know any better, but it is a needless layer of button-pushing. There’s nothing wrong with plugging in a disk and letting it just play be itself. In this case, I discovered the playlist only works on top-level files. All my files are in folders, organized. Which is another concept that escapes them.

Picture of the day.
French lighthouse.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The same shop is slated to replace the windshield tomorrow. How’s the van running? Well, it is smooth, but showing its age. When you park and walk away, there is the odd creak as it cools, and if the battery ever goes dead, you are in deep doo-doo. I still cannot find anyone who knows why the seats won’t retract. Most of today was waiting around, something that should technically be added to the cost of a vehicle. I watch four videos of the Smart Amp, mentioned here y’day.
           The videos suffer the same as most on-line how-tos. They edit out too much of the bad things. I’m most curious about this jam feature claimed to create bass and drum lines. Instead, you get guitar players shredding to extremely simplistic chord patterns. They continue showing off for another hundred measures after you get the idea. Are they covering up that it is just another version of guitar-looping? Looping works during a verses or a chorus but not for transitioning between the two. I’m expecting disappointment now since all four videos consistently avoided whether or not this thing could actually chord a change.

Last Laugh