Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

January 5, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 5, 2021, to watch & remember.
Five years ago today: January 5, 2016, the box looks better.
Nine years ago today: January 5, 2012, encyclopedias are shallow.
Random years ago today: January 5, 2013,10 years or learn English.

           It’s yet another sad-but-true that greetings in America have changed. It used to be phrases like “Hello” and “How have you been?”, but that is being replaced by, “May I have your phone number?”, and it increasingly, it is not a question. Today I switched barbers over it. Remember I said my usual had been taken over by a consortium that bought eight shops at once? Their policy is, if you don’t cough up a phone number, there is an automtic 90minute wait because, “Somebody else might confirm by phone.”
           I’m wondering how long before I’m refuse service over this, I’ve heard in New York you can’t get a pizza delivered without a smart phone. That sort of rule is loved by the sort we call “sheeple” like the mask thing. What a hoax, a test run to see how many would unquestionly do what they were told and form enough of a bulk to threaten anybody who doesn’t comply. Which is the only reason most people still wear a mask. Talk about paranoid, the barber shops no longer allow magazines.

           We drove the Smithsonian out to Mt. Juliet to find graph paper. But did not buy any. They had it, a poorly designed product, but sold only in packets of six for $18. I’ll pass, it’s cheaper to print your own. It’s 2021 and they still do not make a vehicle with a handy spot to keep a pen or pencil. The windows are higher than in a car, so the little tyke had trouble seeing outside. I stopped at the Goodwill, who are doing a booming business these days, and got him a nice big cushion. I found the plumbing parts to fix the drain but got no further on it. I got lazy.
           This photo shows the relative small size of the dog in the new surroundings. I finally flipped the back down as shown here. It has to be that seat, as it turns out the rear sliding door behind the driver doesn’t roll down the window. In really bright sunlight, you can tell some of the van has been repainted. But it still appears to be a great bargain for the price.

           Music. I’ve got the chorus pedal back in operation. I’m not so sure which setting is best for stage. For now, I’m accustomizing myself to working the pedal. Huh? That is correct, proper stage work means you have to both look natural but be there to hit the switch at the right times. Most demos show the operator sitting down. That’s a quick way to lose your audience. You sit down, they sit down. This doubles the number of pedals and there is no alternative at this juncture, although it I had to drop one, it would be the drum pedal.
           I get a lot of moral support from my small circle of friends, but none of them are stage musicians. It’s evident or maybe a better word is unmistakable that my choice to switch to comedy new country isn’t universally popular. There is a lot to be said for the classics and they are always in reserve. Seems to me I went through this same reaction when I finally dropped all slow songs. In the end, that was one of the smartest moves I made for audience appeal and not to mention the tip jar.

           In this context, comedy means as a rule no slogging ballads or dreary lyrics. I’m not about to let go of my show’s reputation for being fun. I look forward to incorporation some sing-a-long clips I leared from playing background tracks at bingo. Around a fifth of my present list have some tag or catchy spot for the audience to go, “Tequila!”.
           Farfetched as it is right how, there is something I’d like. During pedal rehearsal I find regular situations where i have to choose between one pedal or the other. Is there some way to operate both at the same time? I could use that in nearly half my list. There is so much work to do, I won’t move on this until later. I find I’m not confused by the pedal work, for that matter, I find it rather easy to be consistent. It’s an advantage, so I won’t overlook it for long.

Picture of the day.
Pro-Trump protest begins.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Once again, Elliott, the Bidenista, and I are back and forth with some good-natured sparring over that issue. He is solid liberal to the core, part of the ultra-radical “we are all in this together” bunch with their hands in your wallet. He likes to quote his relatives who became civil servants as huge successes because they bought houses that now carry massive price tags. He knows I am a Libertarian, but cannot wrap his brain around that, because anybody who isn’t far left is by his definition far right.
           Now, there are other aspects to all this. He never used a computer until 2004, but is now another self-proclaimed expert, and all my experiene is out-dated, I’m a dinosaur. If a lliberal says anything positive, he is quoting “undeniable facts”, but anyone else is bragging. This extends to his postion that most other nationalities are statistically better educated than Americans. So I asked him to explain the anomaly on y’days graph. As usual, he has to dodge the issue rather than admit he knows nothing about it.

           This led to an hour of bantering. Where he likes to glom onto the Trump cultist thing, I like to find a topic like this graph and push back, it’s related to the education thing. Since he is also pro-millennial, he can be stumped on things like graph terminology, or that unless it can be created by a key press, he doesn’t know his abscissa from an ordinate in the ground. Pretend you don’t understand his last answer and use words like “intercept” and “weighted average” when asking hime to clarify.
           Another source of amusement is to intentionally misuse a word and let him run with it. Today’s words were “inclination” and “locus”. It’s easy to rile the guy. He’s always been touchy about having to defend his contentions on the education issue. Another talking point is that like most Americans, he does not have any hobbies at all. From my perspective, that means their lives consist of work, sleep, and cable TV. He’s the only libtard leftist I will talk politics with because his vocabulary is lifted right out of the MSM playbook. His experts are better than your experts.
           The explanation for the slight concave shape of the falling Sun is my poor graph-drawing. The idea, I repeat, was sextant skills, as for navigation, this graph means nothing. We got another series of readings low in the sky today, testing how near to the horizon the sextant will operate i daylight. The practical limit is just below 7°:00.0’. I finally figured out the scale markings on my sextant have a limitation of 2/10ths of a mnute, making all my readings an even number.

ADDENDUM
           The Democrats are now operatingin full view with their election fraud. In the run-off elections in Georgia, the Dominion machines that scan the ballots were shutdown in many of the Democrat dens and Republican voters, which arrived in record numbers, were told to put their ballots in sealed envelopes with promises that Democrat poll workers would later scan the ballots for them. Yeah, right. How blatant can you get? We shall see.
           What mystifies me and most is how Governors got the power to prevent the examination of these machines or the ballots. Where did they get this power? Most are Democrats, so they won’t answer, but some are Republicans and should have been called out on this.
           And how about that MSM. Trump makes a speech that Hillary Clinton is asking the Democrats why they didn’t do this voter fraud for her in 2016. Trump said, “The most unhappy person in the USA right now is Hillary Clinton.”
           The CNN version reports it this way. “Trump: The most unhappy person in the USA right now.”

Last Laugh