Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, May 28, 2021

May 28, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 28, 2020, Okay, Trump is busier.
Five years ago today: May 28, 2016, one massive swindle.
Nine years ago today: May 28, 2012, identical riffs are quite difficult.
Random years ago today: May 28, 2007, that authentic look.

           There’s another scorcher on the way so I was up on that shed roof for four hours, getting the important half of the Ondura roofing fastened. I missed a scheduled meeting, once I got up there, nothing stopped me until the tarpaper underlay itself got too hot to stand on even wearing my no-slip deck shoes. Let me see if I can find a pic that tries to convey the Florida tropical conditions to be working outdoors. Not really, but there’s my stunt double in the jungle. The Ondura screws are easier to work with than the nails. I stripped one hitting a stud plate and had to pry it out with a hammer. No comparison.
           That table saw I bought at the Thrift is only good for small crosscuts. There’s something wrong every time you try a rip cut. The blade overheats and binds, even a brand new carbide tooth. The fence measures parallel but you just know it isn’t. Once this roof is done, I’ll feel more confident leaving expensive items out in storage. I’m not against buying a new table saw but not if there is any chance of a roof leak.

           Buckwheat, one of my favorites if cooked right. I don’t have it that often because it is locally hard to find. Today I asked for it at the market and discovered a whole room full of people who have never heard of it. Then again, nobody has accused the current working class of any fine dining. More like franchise dining. The secret ingredient is two tablespoons of butter during the cooking process. If you have unsalted butter, even better.
           Around this time, I ran out of materials. I miscalculated the amount of eave overhang on both roofs, coming up three panels short. And I have not measured out the red shed yet. The roofing has now already cost nearly twice as much as the sheds, but worth it. These Ondura sheets must reflect or absorb heat because walking through the shed you can instantly tell when you get under the panels. I’ll be glad for all this effort soon, we’ve had a long spring drought and that means Gulf rainstorms will return with a vengeance.
           The sheds are not closed in, rather just using cedar fence panels as siding. I was worried that rain and weather could get it. That’s why I made the eaves four inches wider than usual and this seems to work. I’ve worked through awesome storms quite comfortably. Now to get off my tush and start burning the piles of logs in the yard. I’m sure you’ll hear about that.

           Air bnb is a great concept. Now we start hearing disturbing news of crooks in the business. I agree with the concept of “the invisible tourist”, in that corporate America and the government have no cause to be tracking your movements. Turns out some aspects of Air bnb may be no better. I was miffed to find a pamphlet outlining how guests should behave because it went beyond being respectable and not trashing the room. This made me more interested in what the guests had to say. Number on complaint? Nosey, pushy hosts who let you know you are getting in their way. There are also reports of excessive cleaning fees.
           Cities like Paris, Berlin, and Barcelona have passed tough laws over these rentals. I’m split on that one. If you rent a room in your own occupied house, that should be your business. However, the nature of these laws are things like requiring a business license, making it illegal to rent out for less than 30 days (New York City) and other occupancy laws overstep the bounds of what I consider a private matter. And the gig economy promotes scam-like operations. In Australia, a third of the landlords don’t know their apartments are being sub-let as travel rentals. Landlords in Australia must not be the sharpest tools in the pawn shop.
           I laugh at those who bought properties specifically to rent as Air bnb. Along comes COVID and drops tourism by two-thirds (I read somewhere). This wipes out sections of cities like Athens, Dublin, and Sydney where entire sub-divisions of these rentals cropped up. Theses neighborhoods are sarcastically termed “horizontal hotels”, and I’ve just been informed that invisible tourist is brand name. At the other extreme, I am totally against the way that hotels have been doing business. Utterly outrageous prices, misleading pricing, constant snooping, and worst in my eyes, a complete disregard for travel privacy. I was hoping at first Air bnb would give hotel chains a wake-up call. Nothing much has really changed.

Picture of the day.
Deep snow.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Another four hours on the roof, I scalded both my kneecaps. All but one sheet is fastened because it got dark. I need another six sheets to include the red shed, meaning I now have a roof worth more than the structures beneath them. I have the video which surprised me how active I was today. I thought I was slacking a bit, but that was a respectable days labor. If it’s not too late when I get out of the shower, I’m driving out to Bartow for a cold beer. The Reb is considering fostering a dog, which is not the same as adopting. Myself, I need another year to get over Sparkie. And I’ve always been that way so I will not own another pet unless I get really old and need a mascot.
           Here’s a view from standing atop the white shed. Near the ladder bottom is a general mess where the old burn barrel used to be. That will be a messy cleanup job. The ashes are being recycled as mulch. The most likely use for this part of the yard is a garden or if the peach tree continues to improve, my mini-orchard. Or something.

ADDENDUM
           Whoops, Joe-people. That new guy they got watching the ballot audit process is one sharp bastard. He’s found cell phone chips built into the motherboards and major faults in the security systems. None of this happens by accident. The media on both sides is silent, so this is huge. This guy has superb training and experience with software and hardware both. Reminds me a lot of myself. This audit, I suspect, is revealing a lot more about the sordid affairs of the left than anyone is letting on at this moment. Multiple layers of fraud, layers of corruption, layers of infiltration, all coming to light faster than anyone would have thought possible. Entire committees of dishonest politicians, crooked news reporters, shady fact-checkers, and systematic lying that has been going on for years.
           One thing for sure, this fraud is elaborate and was not slapped together for the 2020 elections. Thousands of people are involved over dozens of years setting this system in place. And then Trump comes along and upsets the apple cart. No wonder they hate him beyond a passion. But, I’ve told you before, there the liberals and their Democrat shills have also made sure there is no dedicated agency or department that overturns or decertifies elections. All they have are expensive taxpayer-funded squadrons to crush any opposition. Look at the banks of lawyers they flew into Arizona. Something has to give and I think Trump has the ultimate upper hand—a hundred million supporters who were slow to anger.

           My position remains unchanged, that Trump realized even if he had proven there was fraud in November, he would still be up against over fifty solid years of radical Marxist Democrat apparatchiks who would never convict each other or pursue a true Constitutional agenda. He knew he won by a landslide, but proving it was not enforcing it, a movement that had to come from the people. And how many states right now have audits? Eight?
           It’s far from over. I’m in Florida, which has no lockdowns, no mask mandates, no Kamela gun laws, no income tax, and no BLM or Antifa. The police are funded, social media cannot censor, and the schools cannot teach Critical Race Theory. No, folks, it is far from over. Too many Democrats have been voting in alphabetical order.

Last Laugh