Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, May 31, 2021

May 31, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 31, 2020, the bastards stole it.
Five years ago today: May 31, 2016, my first sidecar flat.
Nine years ago today: May 31, 2012, I meant “quadcopters”/
Random years ago today: May 31, 2009, Nokia’s gone downhill.

           A disturbing bit of news, a person is finally going to do jail time for pirating Windows. This was in Spain where MicroSoft has far more leeway to have Judges to their biding. Hey, it worked for the Church and the Inquisition. Some lady running a travel bureau got six months in the slammer. My guess is the victim simply acquired used computers that already had Windows installed on them, like most people thinking it was part of the system. I’m surprised no citizen’s group has not counter-sued by now. The first user didn’t buy Windows, he bought a copy, and when he sold the computer, he agreed to uninstall Windows.
           That’s my point. When I buy a used computer, I made no contract with MicroSoft. So who the hell is MicroSoft to tell me what to do? If the seller agree to remove it, that is his concern, not mine. If you want me to remove it, you pay me, and send your own people at your own expense and you have no right to inconvenience me in the process. The legal point is that MicroSoft is confined by privity of contract laws and, in a fair legal system, cannot force a third party, such as myself, to do anything. Jail time is thus a scary development.
           Note there is a opposite situation that is even trickier. Consider when a third party proves they had a right to act on an contract between other parties. If I start a business knowing two other parties have a contract, and they willfully breach that contract, is my business entitled to damages? Answer? Sometimes.

           Today I start on the red shed roofing. I have to start at the top and work down, as there is no place to prop the ladder if I try a conventional approach. I’m not going to finish the computer wall until I find triple cover plates. While probably a dumb mistake, it lets me free up the front bedroom as I may have company for a bit. I have to get that kitchen floor done while I’m young enough to haul lumber and might have some help, at least in theory. First, the sheds, where Tampa radio gives incentive to work fast, which I swear will be roofed over today.
           It’s amazing to listen to broadcasts from California, where Detroit is happening on a state-wide scale. Anybody worth anything is fleeing, leaving their garbage behind. It’s a horror story, but they asked for it. Businesses are leaving in the thousands, yet the radical left government continues to talk as if all is fine and the rest of the world just does not get it. In the American eye, Tesla packing up and moving to Texas says it all. Meanwhile, I got the roofing 99.5% done, all but one little corner. And I will have to conduct a full setup, moving the ladder and climbing to get that. Grrrr.

           How about the Texas walkout, where Democrats staged the event so there was not a quorum present? Democrats claim having to show eligibility to vote will make it hard for minorities, but never specify how. It is a sordid tactic, but what surprised me is that Republicans don’t have a mechanism in place to take advantage of it. Like, the minute they leave, undertake all kinds of routine business that doesn’t need their attendance. I’m not keen on these constant deadlines the politicians have over taking breaks and recess. The ones who left should be fired for not doing their jobs, or whatever the equivalent is in Texas.
           Hmmm, Joe Biden, the former Vice-President, has reneged on most of the big promises he made to get elected. Where have we seen this before? It’s over, Joe, now you are screwing your last round of donors. Student loans remain, man did he shaft those chumps. The Arizona audit has passed the 1 million mark and reports say 17.5% of the ballots are bad. Yet Democrat mouthpieces continue to insist the audit itself in “undermining” democracy. The Republicans insist the audit is restoring confidence in the system.

Picture of the day.
On-line crystal ball.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The wind died down so the day was a sauna instead of a blowtorch. I took the time to review what’s done so far with the business courses. I see things have progressed, but toward specialty areas and that leaves gaps in between. This was always a problem in the publishing industry, and example would be the “penguin” self-publishing outfit. None of their price projections include any advertising or promo prices, rather just mention you will need it. Not a word this could involve quitting your day job and go on the road book-signing full time, a chance many new authors just will not take. Makes you wonder how many attics full of books exist around the nation.
           My leaning is more toward the audiobooks mentioned. They are cheaper and an emerging market, although I am not so sure of it’s post-coof sustainability. I mentioned the attraction is you can do something else while “reading” the book, an angle I’m saying could be less distracting than listened to the radio at the new home-based jobs. Such things are within my zone of taking chances.

           As the sun got lower, I tacked furring strips onto the roof of the red shed. That needs to be waterproofed totally and nothing else works. I’m going to use Ondura panels though they are not designed for what amounts to patchwork. For me this is intense work, I’ve lost six or seven pounds in this heat. The good news is I can still put in the effort.
           A first-class stamp goes from 55¢ to 58¢ this summer. The post office canned hundreds of middle and upper level managers but are still losing billions. They’ve lost a third of their revenue largely due to the Internet, but they still have a commanding position to do things right. And police, used to raiding houses with unusually high power bills for growing marijuana are notwfinding a different type of operation: bitcoin mining. Hmmm, that’s, um, well, think about it.

ADDENDUM
           NASA almost loses the Marscopter due to a “navigational timing error”. It seems they go out of their way to plan things that can go wrong. That’s the kind of “error” that does not exist unless you create it. My solution would be to go through the department and find why and how such code was written and start firing people. The office version of the Stalin Sort. I’m getting weary of watching this mission because they are moving too slow and too many of their press releases are clickbait. We’ve long since concluded that NASA does not hire babes. And if you are gimped, you get priority camera time. Yet you know, there is probably not a NASA video made in recent times that could not be improved by eliminated shots of their personnel.
           I have long lost all respect for NASA, largely due to their wasting of resources on public image. Most taxpayers don’t care squat for pictures of who works at NASA, we want pictures of Mars. The search for life is secondary to getting a colony up there. Instead, NASA is using precious satellite weight allowances to send plaques up there honoring “health workers”. Lack of respect turned to negative when            I see expensive videos whose real purpose is to push the COVID mask-wearing agenda. No way these people are scientists.
That creates a terrifying scenario. These are the people designing the safeguards surrounding returning potential Martian microbes to Earth. People so stupid they believe masks can stop a virus will be handling extraterrestrial bio-materials. Hearing these people speak English is identical to listening to the severely mentally handicapped without the large vocabulary. What could possibly go wrong?

           Then there’s the quip making the rounds that A.I. will be able to quell “disinformation”. What more proof is needed that it is no artificial intelligence? To make such a judgment, the code would have to inherit the stupidity and bias of the coder. Tesla finally wised up and requires a driver awake and behind the wheel, a tacit admission this blog has been totally right about the caliber of their coding department all along. Fire the lot and hire real programmers. Amazon’s “Sidewalk” feature means unless you opt out, nearby devices will share your bandwidth. Um, not on my watch. (There’s joke in there somewhere, Ken.)

           Actually, the closest thing to A.I. is likely the algorithms in use with the robot tankettes and scout vehicles in Israel. The secretive Unit 8200 is more concerned, it seems, with providing info to other fighting equipment, but it won’t be long. And the terrorists are just asking for it, hiding as they do, in populated areas. I know it isn’t entirely fair, but the Arabs could have peace in the Middle East any time they please.
           Yet another page in the overlong blimp history with yet another announcement of airship service, this time between England and Ireland. Like the relationship between those countries, travel on any given day will depend on the weather. What? I’m informed that’s Northern Ireland. If it was Dublin, they’d sell only one-way tickets. Intel continues to insist on a chip shortage, the sly devils. Okay, just tell us how much of a government subsidy you want and get it over with.

Last Laugh

           x margin-bottom: 1em; margin-right: 1em; margin-top: 1em; margin-left: 1em;