Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, May 5, 2021

May 5, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 5, 2020, resistance yes, organization no.
Five years ago today: May 5, 2016, but, but, that’s a condition.
Nine years ago today: May 5, 2012, a congested room.
Random years ago today: May 5, 2006, no writer’s block here.

           The Reb is amazing, she has to be to get me to talk on the phone. My dislike of phones goes much deeper than telemarketers. There are ominous signs of inflation, like the $11 bowl of soup last weekend. I’ve further been mulling over the problems corporations, who one sent people home to work, is now regretting they don’t want to go back to the office. I have an instinct says those who shop from home think they are getting bargains and will overspend. Hence, last evening I skipped Karaoke and put a financing package together.
           Seven hours of research later, I say it is worth a try, you get more info if it works. Not every venture gets blogged. The ones that cost more than usual, like Auvoria, make it because of the price tag. This time, I’m going for $1,500 up front. Sift through the inevitable hype, don’t quit your day job, avoid inventory, eschew credit—and get a business partner like the Reb or I. Some of these are easier to accomplish than others, that’s the deal-e-o.

           I’ve sold services, but not products on-line. The advertised start-ups never reveal they are really pitching you the labor or time part of the “business” they don’t like to do. This is why I auto-avoid ads that start with “What if I told you . . .”, or “Hi, guys . . .”. The fact is, and I’ll tell you why, I’ve never sold products on line. Because I don’t know how. I usually hit delete at the first hint of millennial bullsh, meaning I never got that far. This ties in with my early research for an on-line business. By 2003, I wanted to, but once more, there was nobody in my own demographic to ask and all on-line come-ons were old comic book scams with a web page.
           It was another case of tryng to pry facts out of unwilling people. You quickly learned there is no such thing as an honest price quote on-line in the sense you will always wind up paying more than the price that caught your eye. Who remembers the dozens of “web page business page only $49.95” scams. None of them mentioned what else you needed, but I had determined the average new web business had spent around $10,000 before they sold a damn thing. Yet, I was about to proceed when fate intervened. The end result was this cabin.
           Above is a typical on-line price quote. If you read it wrong, it sounds like you get half-price on the $497. This is millennial gang-bang coding. Each person did his job to spec, the overall presentation is misleading, and each prick can prove he is not to blame. The 497 is the 2997 divided by two divided by three. I’ve looked at an on-line business that takes care of the inventory and shipping, but I’m far from convinced they’ve laid out the true expenses involved. Like Willie Loman, they only splash the gross revenue in the banners. But, again and against most odds, we shall try again.
           Dell computers, which I’ve never trusted because of their “special” version of Windows, has been exposed for allowing remote access. Adobe, another piece of spyware I warned you about, has finally be dumped by MicroSoft as a “vulnerability”. Why is MS suddenly trying to appear honest? I’m okay with furniture recycling and it seems even IKEA agrees. They are putting together a buy-back of used furniture to stop people from throwing it out. The refurbished pieces are selling rather well. And you people who like computerized cars, boy, are are you dumb

Picture of the day.
Isle of Wight tourist pic.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Early afternoon found me looking more into REITs. The initialism ETF keeps appearing, it means the REIT is and “exchange traded fund” meaning you have to pay a broker to buy in. REIT can be any mix of broad or narrow market focus, I looked at American Tower. They own something like 188,000 cell towers. That’s a narrow market I’ll avoid until Musk quits launching satellites. I also don’t like hotels or restaurants as investments. Chances are if I invest, I will choose an outfit that bypasses the brokerage people and their fees. The best returns I find are less than 5% annually, but I’m looking for capital preservation over what is looming.
           In this climate, I shouldn’t be working at all. I’m going to enlarge my attic access panel and Agt. R has donated a 55 gallon plastic drain barrel for the shed. Now I get to dug the hole big enough because men my age love manual labor. I mailed some letters and brought home a bag of connectors from the hardware. This combined activity left me ready to zonk, but I instead drank enough iced tea to do a bunch of measuring. Despite removing the seats from the van, a full 4x8 sheet won’t fit in there. The power-assisted back door doesn’t permit tying it down for the trip home.

           The drywall is now $12 a sheet and there’s been a shortage of electric work boxes for a couple weeks now. For those who want the great reset, this is what’s in store for you. A third world country full of the kinship of shortages that are so beloved by the rest of the planet. It’s a short step between can’t find it and can’t afford it. Oh, and the supply of used appliances has gone that route. There’s nothing left on the curbsides like there used to be. Good intentions aside, there is a reason the signs say don’t feed the seagulls.
           I tried a new style of connector. New to me, that is, here’s a picture. I like this system. The package says they are the number one brand so I missed that somehow. Probably by just not looking. I’ve used Marr connectors, the twist-on kind, since I was around ten years old. The kind that can work themselves loose. My entire cabin is done with this type. Way to go, huh? I have other things on my mind, folks. Like the size of the pit that will have to be dug for that water barrel. It has to be buried deep enough so the top is below the drainpipe. Want to help? Grab a shovel.

ADDENDUM
           With sadness, I watched a documentary on Mars settlement. Called “The First 10,000 Days”, it details the SpaceX plan to establish a self sustaining colony. Scientifically, a fantastic accomplishment, but the story also reveals how little man has learned about what does not work. The plan is plainly to send to Mars the very far left political, religious, and military systems that have plagued mankind since the dawn of civilization. Time and again, humans got fed up with the slackards and talkers, moving to new lands and continents, only to have the deadbeats follow and start the rot all over again.
           I got the same message about the “exploration” of the South Pole. They brought in weapons, churches, and rules as a priority, despite these institutions having caused most of the strife throughout our history. It would seem Mars would be a fantastic opportunity to leave politics behind, but clearly it is arriving there on the first flight. By the time the second flight arrives, they will find a set of rules in place demanding they behave in ways that have never worked on Earth.

           I’ll be long gone by the time this happens, yet I grieve for how ignorant mankind remains. There are certain types of individuals who turn every hard-working, freedom-loving individual into a fugitive in his own home. These parasites will never leave others alone and it is clear they have every intention of flying this sort to Mars, though I will never understand why. Except to know that people who need people never ask for permission.
           There is a laughable scene where the video outlines the serious need for a vaccination facility, speaking with confidence that such things will become normal whether the population wants them or not. The open Mars immigration policy, that everyone productive or not is welcome because the “Mars was built by immigrants” contingent, though arriving late in the game, becomes the vocal chords of the interplanetary welfare class.

Last Laugh