Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, June 6, 2021

June 6, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 6, 2020, that idiot, Monty.
Five years ago today: June 6, 2016, mini-history lecture.
Nine years ago today: June 6, 2012, five things about me.
Random years ago today: June 6, 2005, Katrina.

           Agt. R donated me a stack of magazines from the 1990s, I guess they are from the family farm. Lots of woodworking and mechanic editions with tons of diagrams and templates. Wish I had time, but I’ve got to get up in that attic and find out why that practically new fan doesn’t kick in. The ads in these magazines are truly interesting, as they show what would have happened to American prices without Chinese imports. True, that policy was a disaster but it did put a brake on what would have been monstrous inflation.
           Don’t quote me, but I remember when Sears sold Ryobi tools and all American-made tools were shockingly expensive in the early 1990s. An entry level table saw was $429, or closer to $1,000 today in real inflation terms. These magazines are a reminder of how close it came to that, though you could tell the tools were better built. Equally entertaining are the ads that show which operations have survived, including drill your own well, banish back pain, and make $26 per hour being a locksmith. More below.

           Some critter around here is big enough to topple my birdbath. Those are two solid concrete pieces in this photo so it’s not the cats or the possum. The red bird is my whirlagig. This photo shows the “bird area” of my yard, this is similar to the view from the kitchen window. There are six regular vistors, three pairs of birds. But what is this mystery animal with the brute force to move concrete? Is leverage, just enough weight to rock the basin off the pedestal, but that’s still not something you see every day.
           What’s less rare are the crowds at Trump rallies. Folks, no matter how loudly the media screams otherwise, Trump is back. The North Carolina rally had nearly 140,000 people watching before Trump even got on stage. The Biden newsfeed at the same time showed around 600, which says it all. Even a Biden “major” appearance draws fewer than 1,000. I still cannot find footage of Trump’s speech. He’s on record for saying he will take back the Senate “sooner than you think”. I believe one of his big moves will be to oust all the RINOS from the Republican party. They are already booed of the stage wherever they dare show their faces. Rule of thumb: don’t worry about being ten or fifteen minutes late for a Trump rally. Because he can’t really start speaking until the cheering dies down.

           The G7 global tax is coming. This is the globalist effort to stop corporations from moving their business to countries with lower taxes, such as Ireland. The big pigs want to establish a world-wide 15% corporate minimum tax. Idiots and commies. Idiots because the problem remains, just at a higher level. As soon as the libtards start getting money from that source, that rate will just go higher and higher. And commies love to force people into situations where they have no choice on anything. Tyrants love liberals, for liberals are their most useful tool.
           I still don’t think Trump is being as forceful as he should be. He’s way too polite to the opposition, even when they are lying and trying to set him up. One good move is a Republican announcement they will no longer participate in staged debates with pro-Democrat activists pretending to be moderators. Them Democrats are poised for one massive collapse but who knows, it might force them back to their moderate roots. Few people will want them to disappear, since what replaces them could be even worse.

Picture of the day.
Bicycle vending machine.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Talking on the phone is a waste of life, or at least that is my impression unless talking business or something academic. So it surprises me that the Reb can coax me into chatting. In the pre-COVID days, any such event was cause to go out for dinner. Turns out neither of us much dine out except for this purpose. The question is, do we go out for dinner because we do business together, or do we do business together so we can go out for dinner? This is probably best discussed in Germantown.
           I got much of the furring strips down on the red shed. This involves laying planks to walk on as the shed is around as old as I am. Shown here is a composite view of the work showing black patches of roofing tar where earlier attempts had been made. When I got these materials home, a rain shower had me dash to move things and I misplaced an expensive box of the special fasteners. It will turn up, but it was the last box on sale, a hard to find product.

           That means either leave the roof half done until I find it or put the expensive panels up at half-strength and hope we get no hurricanes until I can locate the screws. I went for the first option, telling the Reb I had to get off the phone and go screw my roof. She cautioned me to beware of jagged metal edges. The south side of the shed is now done so I could put in a radio, whence I finally got to hear Trump’s full North Carolina speech. He’s got the next election unless the radical left uses force.
           Next, I’m reading the magazines from the 1990s, the donation from Agt. R. Two main categories are home handyman and similar for mechanics. I learned conversion vans are what replaced full-size station wagons. Anyone who fantasizes that the Internet generation have come up with anything new should read the classified sections. Everything from work-at-home schemes to solar panels to surefire mail-order startups.

           It’s a fact, youTube has morphed into an advertising site. My viewership has dropped 90% awaiting somebody who invents software to kill the ads. When Google-based companies do things like this, there is your proof that Internet businesses also must continue to grow or die. There is no happy level they can exist at long-term. True, on-line advertising works, but I’m part of the contingent that avoids buying anything from companies that do this sort of advertising, especially when it comes to food. On-line means off my grocery list.
           Let’s see what’s going on, if anything, out there in radio world. I see the upsurge in class actions when investors lose money, an interesting development now that the Internet can hype and flip commodities in a wink. Wired (magazine) has finally warned that Google Chrome is a privacy threat. That 13 years after this blog said the same. I find it incongruous that women who post nude photos on insecure mediums like the Internet can sue providers when the photos get out. Google pays another quarter million dollar fine in Europe and not a word makes the headlines here.

           The quite doable Kate Crawford, a MicroSoft researcher, has admitted one (just one) of the basic truths about A.I. It is neither artificial or intelligent. One day, these genius types will catch up to this blog on these matters. Once more, I point out the major flaw is the use of OOPS, or object-oriented-programming-systems. For clarity, allow me to expand on how I reach that conclusion. The problem is design, that languages like C+ are encapsulated, and that is what causes the brand of ignorance that everybody can see except the user. Read the addendum.

           [Author’s note: to make a point, I’m fully aware of the sarcasm and one-sidedness of my comments on women, but there is a history on that. Most men early in life develop the attitude that all women are alike and frankly, for their purposes the women are. Later, around age 50, these men gradually discover the differences in women but by then, these boys have missed the boat. Except the barge that takes them to the stripper joints.
           My situation was opposite. I viewed most but the most stereotypical women as individuals since my early teens. This explains my comparative success in the you-know department. Comparative, that is, compared to you, ha-ha. Anyway, age 50 was when I began to find all women alike and begin to make comments about their availability, for instance. I never used to do that, so let me put it this way. Not all older women are alike—only the ones I’ve met. Some could say I'm just not looking, but I could tell them where to shove that attitude.]


ADDENDUM
           In proper programming, there is a main module that calls subroutines. These subroutines are self-contained and subject to very rigid paradigms in what information they relay back to the calling source. One of the first things I debug for is a global variable inside a subroutine, in my shop programming, I forbid globals in this fashion. This sort of programming, if you mapped out the data direction instead of the flowchart, is linear. And that is the way that educated people think, in fact, the more educated, the more their logic is tuned toward a specific end, as they learn to reject trial-and-error and avoid dead ends.
           OOPS, like C+, is one big loop with each part, including the subroutines, inside the main or outer shell. This arrangement has a major flaw, which its creators have successfully passed off as a feature. Each layer is no longer immune from it’s container. The code inherits invisible characteristics, the more so when lazy coders borrow snippets from other [equally naive] coders.

           The definitive example of this degenerate process is number types. Consider integers and real numbers. In linear programming, such errors are a snap to catch because they are so easy to test for. But how about a C+ subroutine that uses and returns only integers that is passed real numbers from its casing? I have read authorative C+ (Java, Python etc.) textbooks that never mention 1 and 1.0 are different numbers. Unless real caution is taken, you’ve got potential for logic errors like the erratic flight of the Marscopter. NASA will never admit it, but that is exactly what went wrong, mark my words and read my lips.

Last Laugh