Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, August 7, 2021

August 7, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: August 7, 2020, radishes.
Five years ago today: August 7, 2016, bare walls.
Nine years ago today: August 7, 2012, and you wonder why.
Random years ago today: August 7, 2013, he’s completely unmusical.

           Finally kicking the jet lag, today I was at the Mexican store and got new back tires on the van. Only to discover there is a slight shimmy in the system at 45 mph. Still, I keep track and spend only a third as much on vehicles as people who overspend on something “reliable”. And even on the rare times I have car troubles, I rarely need a tow. This was another cool day in August, so as not to waste it, we took the doggies out to the dam. Or, the lake behind the dam, is what I mean. Yep, speaking the language, particularly the slang means never paying retail. I’ll consider other repairs soon, as that’s half what you’d pay in Florida.
           For dinner last evening I picked up some port wine, which nobody around here drinks. To me, it’s the definition of wine, so I even marinated some chicken. But one glass and I’m out. The connection here is that by noon it was back up to scorching summer temperatures and we had slated a movie. Instead, we got extra nap time and it was too late. Dang, I like a nice cool movie in this sort of climate.

           Win 7, I never did like it. Two days later and I still can’t find all the bugs, like how it drops all my browser tabs when the screen saver kicks in. I’m setting it up as a private workstation for the business, but I see it has a lot of graphics capability, probably it was a gaming computer. That might bring back the memes that were so popular here two years back. What do you say? Did you like those?
           Is it good or bad news that the bestseller lists don’t change very fast. I would have thought a bestseller these days might stay on top a week at most. Yet research today shows around half the top ten are still ranking two months later. Do you have any idea how many books they have to sell to do that? Neither did I until recently. But, that is the kind of insane things that can happen on the Internet. I’d be happy to rate in the five-hundreds.

Picture of the day.
Copenhagen’s Jazzhaus Montmarte.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here’s the place setting for the Reb’s dad at the dumb supper. It was too dark last time so this photo is from this morning. This is an ancient, some say pagan, rite, and all in keeping it respect. But I’m really the last guy to know about these customs and ceremonies. We found out the doggies will sing to flute music. That part I identify with.
           Before I forget, following the Reb’s advice to switch to gluten-free bread, I shelled out for the $6 brand. If you have not tried it, don’t hesitate, the flavor has come a long ways. I never cared much for the fthe bland nature of the bread, but these newer brands are okay. I’m saying, give it a try.

           It’s probably a predicatable waste, but I want to see the latest Disney release of another jungle movie. The old mystery tree of life or diamond that people who claim to be civilized always plant in the middle of some inaccessible terrain. They’ve discretely relocated from Africa over to the Amazon, where there is less clash with reality. I’m even curious to see how many more gags the Disney studios can repeat. They’ve come up with nothing new since old Walt kicked the bucket.
           I zipped out later for a Bud at the club. Erika, out favorite server, has graduated from nursing school and she’s off to new and better things in a week or two. Sad to see her go, I dedicated “These Boots” to her and wound up bringing down the house. It was not only my doing, but some fat people’s club had dominated the show with these weird you-don’t-love-me tunes before I got there. So my sing-a-long routine was a welcome diversion Then I left as there were 14 names ahead of mine for the next tune.
           This was my big Saturday in Tennessee. I did not make it to see my friend playing at the open-air market this weekend. I ran out of time. Instead, we stayed home and played a lot of music, I will just never be a fan of big broadway tunes. Too much orchestration by instruments I don’t care for and messages far too mushy most of the time. Fact is, she would play a lounge and leave not a dry eye, while I’d play a boisterous bar and have them rolling in the aisles.


           And here’s that shot of the two-dollar bills in case I missed you last week. Whose that sad-looking character with the protruding chin. I forget if I told you about these already, but they seem to have made their appearance in locations where tipping a dollar is customary. Neat trick, but it just will not work. And the “round-up{ beggars have appeared again. These are the companies that when you ring out at the till, they ask if you want to “round up” to the nearest dollar and donate the change. Donate? What do you mean donate? I donate to people, not to causes. There are some plaguing issues as to why the hell anybody in America needs to beg. There is free government money everywhere and anybody tells you there is widespread hunger and destitution is playing you.

Last Laugh