Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, November 14, 2021

November 14, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 14, 2020, remember “Cherry Cheesecake”?
Five years ago today: November 14, 2016, Theresa, the eHarmony reject.
Nine years ago today: November 14, 2012, my failed proposal.
Random years ago today: November 14, 2014, fear not.

           Change of plans because the van is working well, at least for now. I’ve no illusions, it has to go. I’ve found a dealership willing to haggle, in Clearwater. Rather than drive over there today, the van has developed a slight squeal where the brake pads are thin. The hillbilly gets that task today in return for feeding his dogs so well since he has no day job. If any of you think your pet is loyal to you, let me feed him for a couple of weeks and see where he goes when called, ha!
           Here is a classic shot of the doggie’s breakfast, begun at 4:30AM. So it will be nice and cool by dawn and won’t upset their little tummies. Any neat freaks out there relax, there is limited prep space in my galley, so that non-working burner area gets used for the chore. The stove top gets a bit messy, but not for long.

           You attention is on the doggie food. There is rice under the lid, chicken boiling in the big pot, and a dozen eggs with dollar store sausage for variety. You don’t see the cheese, fish oil, and Sunday only they get a grated topping. Note the beer can. They love any leftover beer in the chicken pot. The alchohol boils away, it is the flavor naturally go after. Feeding time around here is the event I make it sound like.
           I point out, this is people food. The hillbilly gets a quarter of the eggs and sausage with toast and fried spuds. He’s an odd coffee drinker. He waits until it is luke warm and down it in a single gulp. I know because one time he didn’t let it cool enough. I see in the news the FBI still has not adopted rules I published in 1985. If you have sensitive information that must be networked, you need three computers. All three must be properly linked by code numbers to bring up the full contents of a file, and the files are designed so each does not contain data that can be extrapolated. I once had an on-line address file. The links were in Venezuela.

Picture of the day.
Italian barber shop.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Most of the afternoon I took all my gear out of the van for storage in the new shed, which is filling up pretty fast. Meanwhile, the hillbilly set to work changing the brake pads. These are now $40 a set, double what I paid the last time, which was on my old Ford Mustang. The old pads, shown here, were down to metal and beginning to make noises. I don’t know how to do this work, but it seemed straightforward enough and it cured the noise. The van has been packed with camping gear for a while now, including bedding, cooler, and wiring, all of which is now removed.
           For a test drive, I took the unit half-way out to Indian Lakes, and it behaved. Good, I need that as trade-in value. If I can get $3,000 for it, that is pretty much breakeven point as far as the repair budget. Still, that represents a loss and not something I’ll gloss over. In the end, I will be out $5,000. It should be noted, however, that at the time I did not have $5,000, but I did have enough to keep the van running most of this year.

           We’ve got an early cold spell underway, dropping to below 50°F. That’s plenty cold for Florida and we’ll hear lots of bad news by morning. Most people and situations are not equipped to deal with even that kind of chill. I took the thermostat out of the van as it was pulsing, now I wish I’d replaced it as the heater won’t switch on full. A thousand years from now, when this blog has become the intergalactic go-to for historical factuality, details like this primitive event will enlighten quadrillions on Mars alone.
           On the return leg, I heard excellent music. I stopped at the Y’all Come Back and they had a pro three-piece orchestra. Stopping to listen, it was also a sight to see. On stage were nine guitars. Two in use, seven on a rack, along with a banjo and mandolin. The guitar player kept to one, the other guy was constantly switching, also playing keyboards and a lap steel guitar. The lady singer played most violin and harmonica. All three sang harmony. See addendum.

           Needing a slower pace, I stopped for coffee at Dunkin and was there until closing. No donuts, but five or so cups of coffee, the tab came to ten bucks. I worked a crossword, sketched and invention, and generally relaxed without wasting time. Often I’ve thought of writing a book on how that is done, but the very people it is aimed at wouldn’t buy a copy.
           If I have time, there is a tube amp store in Memphis I’d like to visit. At 1958 Vanderhorn, they seem equipped to sell by any method except sending them a money order, which is my preferred way.

ADDENDUM
           I didn’t get the bands name. This group belongs in a recording studio, they were great, but they are a listening band, not a dance band. Every tune was tight, great fiddle/guitar fills and endings, and no messy parts. However, I would balk at such a band. The bass and drums were backing tracks, for starters. It is easy to stay on course when the background is loud and recorded. Now, for myself mainly, I’ll detail what they did wrong.
           There was zero audience interaction. A couple of ladies danced, but otherwise the audience sat there being impressed. I’ve done it, but consider that a fail for the band. I don’t feel people go out for a Sunday few to listen passively. Other than musical presentation, this band had no appeal, or humor, and played a fixed set list. There’s probably a term for it, but this type of group, as they stay together longer, draw toward all the instruments sounding quite alike.

           For example, the tunes with the banjo and steel guitar did not stand out. The guy had two keyboards, an organ and piano, with the steel on his lap. If you were not paying attention, it was hard to tell which one he was playing. And with backing tracks, sooner or later every musician is playing full blast all the time. I’ve got the same problem with the live band I’m in, but they are trying to get a full sound and I cannot convince them that is not necessary. Same problem, different sources. My band has not learned that less is more.

Last Laugh