Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, November 24, 2021

November 24, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 24, 2020, Sparkie falls ill.
Five years ago today: November 24, 2016, those sheds need repair.
Nine years ago today: November 24, 2012, the church picnic.
Random years ago today: November 24, 2014, Cinema Paraiso.

           My first settled in day in Tennessee this trip and it warmed up enough to take the dogs for an extended romp around the Tulip Grove Wal*Mart. It’s a drive, but it is the best in the disctrict. Plus there is an excellent strip mall across the road with everything else you might need, including an Aldi’s. I bought the big bag of chicken for the doggies and cooked it up to their favorite recipe. Smelled good enough the Reb said she wishes she ate chicken. We had a long discussion about investments, read today’s addendum. This photo shows a Van Gogh like paintng she is working on, representing blue flowers. These are a hobby, like my boxes, not really for sale, but the house is full of her works.
           The big event of the morning? We have a New Year’s gig. Parson called to ask my input, I immediately said yes because I know this business. For a new band, grab the gig and worry about the money much later. And it was a questoin of money it turns out. We’ll probably do well in tips, but I would have voted yes anyway. My last formal New Year’s gig was just too long ago and I miss the event. I’ve actually stayed home on that date most of the twenty years in Florida because I don’t like being in the audience. More details as they emerge.

           The van is acting okay but shaky, in that there is still that slight lug at 55 mph. But, we made it back to Tennessee so things will happen fast enough. This Friday I’m taking it into one of the best shops for a $100 checkup. Consider that my second opinion, since only hot weather mechanics have really looked at the vehicle up to now. Here is a picture of the old Taurus (Unit 30) in the driveway, still not sold and starting to collect things leaning on it. Depending on how it goes, I may get at that frost plug. It rusted through, it did not freeze out.
           Sammy, the smaller doggie, turns 14 around now. He’s getting on, I try to run a few hundred yards when he is on the leash, and I’m getting on as well. We both limp back to a walk around the same time. Tomorrow is one calendar year since Sparkie has been gone and Sammy is not really over it, judging solely by his apparent demeanor.

           We went back to pick up the Reb’s car and they found nothing wrong with it. Plan B same as the van. Drive it around until a meaningful light comes on or the problem becomes enough to detect. We have a movie planned for tonight after the doggie walk, I voted for an IMAX, it’s been a while and I’m not impressed by 4D. Which movie? I dunno, as long as it isn’t another Marvel orphan superhero with custom matching villains.
           Later, the movie was Ghostbusters: Afterlife. If you enjoyed the original, this is much more of the same. Same special effects, less of a plot, and you know how the studios are trying to push the less-than-attractive middle-age female actresses these days. And any teens in the movies don’t look like the teens in my day. That’s for sure. One annoyance is the white boy black girl theme. I would not see this movie again. For those who are wondering, the movie tickets for two were $40.42 and two popcorn and two drinks another $29.21, making a simple move a into a $70 night out. We’re okay, but it’s no wonder there are never more than six or so people in the theater. They have priced themselves out of the market for most people. After this, I will think twice, I was not ready for the $6 bottle of water.

Picture of the day.
Tanzanite, world’s rarest gem.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I caught up on lots of chores that tend to pile up while I’m away, resulting in a curous discovery. When I ‘m here, the combination locks work fine. When I’m gone,they act up. If you got a better explanation, let’s hear it. I’m leaving the massive job of raking the back yard until a much warmer day. There’s also a spot in the back fence the big dog can get out, so remind me to do the lumber thing tomorrow. Or if it’s below 50F, how about the next day?
           Here’s a view of the vehicles in winter. Many chores now wait until I’m here and we can therefore use both vehicles. I’m going to pet sit this weekend so the Reb can visit out of town. Maybe Friday evening I’ll go downtown. On second thought, make that the afternoon. The evenings are not that great in Nashville anymore. The clubs and music are there, but the crowd is the bunch that smokes up first and then sits and nurses one beer an hour taking up space.

           The Bidenistas are now past the point of no return with the whole mandate process. They’ve pused it so far they cannot extricate themselves. You might say they’ve awakened a sleeping giant. Nothing unites Americans like a common enemy. If the Biden people, the civil servants included, dare to back off now, they will become the targets of their own policies, some of them quite violent. The claims that America is 70% vaccinated is false, radio stations are paid off to start every newscast with COVID as if it is in the forefront.
           Here’s one, to be a Tesla test driver, you must agree to let them record your screams and such when the car crashes. Rumor is if Biden steals the 2024, this recording will become standard on all Evs. That’s a joke, Ken, I think. There’s a proposal to award Rittenhouse the Medal of Honor, it won’t pass, but it will serve its purposes of sticking in the leftoid craw. The Brits are banning default passwords, that’s the “guest” or “admin” text you see on routers and such. It seems too many people are too dumb to change them, and it only takes one terminal to get into a network.

ADDENDUM
           You may get more than one version of what I’m about to write. I’m going to the seminar about the foreclosure sales. These are not the auctions or repo events that John and I found frustrating to the max. Once more, I write down the way I perceive what is going on and that may differ in detail along the path. I find any business that allows me to use my advantages and obeys my rules is worth looking at and I always wanted to know how these tax sales worked. I will remind you of the major considerations that must be met before I proceed.
           Above all, the money factor. I’ve gone over how money borrowed forces people and projects to take sub-optimal paths. If I must compete, let it be with people caught in that trap. Put another way, if it comes to that, all I have to do is wait the other guy out. Because I don’t need to make my money back as fast as possible. I worked hard for this upper hand and am not likely to forget the Dwayne Rareks and other grunts along the way. Remember Dwayne? It’s not what he said, it was how he said it. “You keep doin’ stuff and doin’ stuff and doin stuff and somebody has to put a stop to it.”

           The second criteria never changes—do not buy yourself a job. You want to avoid several situations, such as the more you work, the more you make, or a field where you have to compete constantly with newcomers. That’s the “ease of market entry” phrase again, you do not want something easy to start because the world is full of others with the same gameplan. Which brings us back to money. It is best to do something that involves short, self-chosen periods of intense activity.
           Coupled with that is delayed reward. Those operating on credit have the same money, but they have artificial deadlines. I’ve always wondered how that IRS tax seizure racket worked and now arrives a fellow who says he has streamlined the operation. I’d gladly pay a couple thousand bucks to finally learn that. So for posterity, I’ll jot down what I perceive the business to be. You can fill in the blanks as to why I would have some edge at this.

           Somebody loses their house to the tax department. The tax department sells the house at market rate to grab their money, but sometimes they get more than that amount Under the sick, sick American civil service system, they have no obligation to inform the aggrieved party about this surplus, nor is that sad sack usually in a position to pursue the matter. And over a varying time period, usually three years, this money reverts to the State as a slush fund. Statistically, this happens 3,000 per day across the USA.
           The poor loser probably does not know he can apply to have that money returned. I was aware of this long ago, but not how much was involved, nor how a non-lawyer could run it as a business. Now I have this offer to learn the ropes for two thousand dollars. Once again, the format reveals how few people have that tiny amount of cash and the desperate need to move too fast at the beginning to meet their on-going payments. I can afford to take as much time as I please and do this right One attractive feature is the job involves mostly paperwork, then you sit back and wait up to six months for a return. That six months is important. People who cannot wait out that time period have, I find, something in common and it isn’t nice to say.

           What is that return? My second-hand knowledge at this point says you shoot for $6,000 per event. I do the work now and in June of 2022, I get the money. This delay has immediate appeal to me. Even if things collapse, the Reb & I don’t have to worry about lasting that time. Here is what I believe is the process. Apparently the sleazy shysters who write such laws make sure only their victims can apply for the money, so they’ve complicated the application.

                      1. You scan for houses that sold for more than the outstanding arrears.
                      2. Contact the former owner and cut them a deal.
                      3. You make the application on their behalf and agree on a commission.

           The pitfalls are evident to me immediately. First, that former owner is likely living in his car somewhere, owing other bills everywhere. So he must be skip-traced. And who knows how to dig into files for that, not that I would advertize the fact. The only people I cannot find are on welfare or in jail, but I disagree with certain negative aspects of the process. A tax taken out of government coffers would have the opposite effect, I would do so in a wink.
           It is necessary to enter a contract with the former owner. That is enough to stall me, but wait. I have soomebody who is incredibly well-suited for that aspect of things. I’ll have more info today, but apparently 30 to 40 percent commission is normal. The offer includes a website, though it is cookie-cutter but I have a massive advertising capability and can write my own copy The last attractant on this one is, to me, the most that is risked is the $2,000 original investment, and probably whatever processing fees happen along the way. For example, for the contract, I would contact my lawyer who only charges me $300.
           One example given in the literature (I want to log on to the semina) is a lady who lost her house and lived in her car until somebody got her $25,000 back. Now she lives in a $35,000 car, ha. Thus, I will take a look within the next 24 hours and make a decision. To my detractors, over the Forex and publication ventures, I remind you we are still at the exploration phase here, and either of those could be fired up any time. I just don’t feel like it. And that’s what counts in this situation, nomsayn?

Last Laugh