Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, December 4, 2021

December 4, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 4, 2020, update invasion.
Five years ago today: December 4, 2016, another guitar player.
Nine years ago today: December 4, 2012, not the roly-poly type.
Random years ago today: December 4, 2006, on Japanese vending.

           The way it works. The state of Tenessee will not renew my registration without an emission pass. That’s a problem, because that random misfire on piston five turns out to be the catalytic converter. (This problemonly began a few weeks agao, dammit.) There are four of them on the vehicle aand they cost around $500 each to replace. Thus, we find another solution as the price of used vehicles could mean having to spend $15,000 for a replacement. Check back in a week to see what I come up with.
           I drove the van to the mechanic and we tried a few quick solutions, such as turning out the warning light a block from the inspections station and running it through. It failed by one oxygen sensor—the one related to the catalytic device. I even drove the van to Murfreesboro at exactly 55 mph to complete a “driving cycle” whatever that is. Then, I drove home and took the dogs for an extra long walk. I take it this must be ideal doggie weather.

           Laser cutters and engravers. I took a look to see if anything has changed in the past few years. These things are not at all easy to make designs for. This is the same critique I have of 3D printers. They are so wearisome to set up that it is not worth it to make unique objects and the mass-produced items lack appeal. In this photo, I’m holding just such an object. You’d have to sell these by the thousand to justify the cost of the machine. It will be long time before we’ll see a unit whereby a new object, like a 3D model, can be designed in an hour or so. If you could, I’d build a full size wooden model of a Tiger tank or something.
           Dropping the Reb to pick up her car from the shop, I did a rare thing and stopped for a beer in the morning. I chose to look at some counties in Georgia, no particular reason. I found out they used to have 254 of them, the concept was that a county should be no larger than a farmer could ride his horse to the office and back in a day. Over a tenth of the population lives in Fulton county and it did not take long to notice many of the districts had regulations against “outsiders”, such as requiring bidders at tax auctions to register and how residents could not hire out of town attorney to act for them. it’s complicated, look it up yourself.

Picture of the day.
1967 Dune Buggy.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Another attack of the yawns, the kind where sleeping does not help. If I had not got lucky and got a batch of excellent coffee pods from Trader Joe’s, I might not have made it. I dunno, is there some upper limit of safe times to yawn per hour. We had company for the afternoon and I had to excuse myself and missed a great acoustic jam session. It was the gang from the art festival. Here’s a picture of the booth being set up, but I did not attend the show.
           I talked again with Parson and there are some crazy things going on with the band. The interrelationships are Dom and Randolph were long-time family friends, the lead player is not committed to the group, and the Parson and I are the only musicians who don’t miss rehearsals. I voted that we play the Xmas gig with or without a guitarist, a plan that is gaining some traction. Except now Randolph, the drummer, is not answering his phone. Too many things are not adding up, and I hope it is nothing. Without Parson & I, the other guys can’t do much so they’d be coo-coo to strike out on their own.

           Reb made me tea and had me sit down for an hour. I’m not tired, though, just yawning. I’d best clam up before it gets rated a COVID variant. So many pro athletes have collapsed they now outnumber actual COVID deaths. Rumors are circulating that the vaxxed people are developing complications on a massive scale. Other rumors say this is the big die-off, but that would not make sense. It is the Democrat supporters who did what they were told. I don’t know if anybody would care if they suddenly started dropping like flies, not after the damage and misery they’ve supported the past ten months.
           How about some politics? I said this isn’t a political blog, but that doesn’t extend to talking about what people do. And some group staged march in DC. Most are calling it a fake because the people had masks and shields My opinion is if they were real militia, they would be able at least to march, but if they are real, look out. I believe if attacked by police, such a crowd would fight back. North Carolina outlaws private donations or funding of election boards, which was a disgusting Democrat practice to begin with. Big media is on about Florida moving to establish a state militia, in reality there are already more than twenty state militias already.

           TMOR a state militia is a curious thing in America, where the Constitution grants the inividual States more power than the central government. It is not only the right of the States to overthrow a tyrant, it is also their duty. Thus, the States are technically able to purchase armaments on the world market and are not answerable to any other authority, including the President. Think of it as a private army commanded by the State governor, who would presumably appoint someone with military experience.
           The big deal is that Florida is the major opposition to Biden’s mandates. Except for the first round of lockdowns where the Democrats said it was just for 15 days to “flatten the curve”, Florida has not complied with any directives from DC. Florida cannot make you wear a mask or challenge you for not wearing one. Although private business can insist, they rapidly learn not to or go bankrupt. Something could come of this.

ADDENDUM
           The Human Genome project. At the time, I didn’t follow along, but today I watched a summary. It was funny, because two conclusions were drawn almost instantly about the unexpectedly low number of genes in mankind. To me, that represents the difference between good science and bad scientists, a very relevant ccontrast around boneheads like Fauci. A bad scientist thinks variation can be explained and proven by differences in gene structure. To me, that’s like trying to figure out if somebody is smart by measuring their IQ. Real science knows it is not the measurable entity at work, but how that factor interacts with the environment. My brother probably has the same IQ I do but the comparison has always failed after that moment.
           They can map all the genes they want, I believe that is the simple way out. Most of the time, what is varying is the environment. Humans and apes show common characteristics because of similar eniroments. And, I suspect, that includes as well as physical pressure. I suspect that is also what is really behind why it is always the less successful trying to integrate with the better off. So much so, I say, that the degree of this pressure can be used to define the lower orders. You rarely hear stupid people complaining everyone they hang around with is smart as hell.
           So I found that video on Darwin, or more accurately, the video that mentions Darwin at times. Is the guy sayiing that mutations are already present, requiring only a switch to activate them? Hmmm, since intelligence is a gene, is there a switch that controls it? What? Oops, I’m informed we are not supposed to now that intelligence is a genetic feature. Wouldn’t that be something if they found such a switch, turned it on, and everybody became, what? I can’t say that either.

Last Laugh