Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, January 14, 2022

January 14, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 14, 2021, my privacy policy.
Five years ago today: January 14, 2017, an addicting book.
Nine years ago today: January 14, 2013, professional underdogs.
Random years ago today: January 14, 2015, a generic day.

           Those political prisoners in the DC jail are pretty much screwed. The Democrats cannot let them out without admitting the “insurrection” was a pre-planned fake and nobody on the Republican side can help without serious endangerment of their own lives. I guess one consolation is any that die, which is the plan, they will be kind of like martyrs. The best they can hope for is to live past the midterms. I’ll say it again, in what I call the “age of identification”, disorganized protesting is no longer a viable form of opposition.
           Here’s the first real flying car, in the sense it does not need speed to elevate. It’s a quadcopter take-off, and surprise, there is no body of law anywhere in the world that regulates these vehicles. The USA will not tolerate that for very long. And to discourage souvenir hunters, the latest Bentleys all have retractable hood ornaments. I would have just made them radioactive. On the theory the thief will hide the damn thing in his pocket.

           Silver continues to plod along around $23 despite massive inflation, leading me to suspect there could be a break in the market between real silver and the kazillions in fake silver certificates. Right now, I would not part with a single ounce of real silver for less than $2,000 in cash. Even then, I would not sell more than a few ounces in an emergency. Nor am I buying the police argument they need to read encrypted messages for national security.
           Meanwhile the rest of the country goes for a dump. My scooter tires won’t be here until the middle of next week. Yep, the dealership does not stock the tires for the Zuma, by far their most popular model. The rot started in the 1980s when these corporations, who were doing just fine, fell prey to group-think. Part is that is that numbers must always go up. Nothing was learned from the truly long term American companies that a healthy profit margin was good enough, no they had to go study Japan. And came up with this JIT, or just-in-time inventory. Except that system doesn’t work unless the whole chain is involved—and in America, they never really will be. Or, only on paper, that kind of bull. JIT meant the tires should have arrived here y’day.

           What happened is Georgia didn’t have the tires either, so they shipped from Philadelphia, each station taking it’s allowed one day time, with weekends off, so it leaves for the dealership today, arrives on Monday, ships on Tuesday, and my scooter is ready on Wednesday. Whoo-hoo, let’s go Brandon. At my age, just the chasing around becomes a chore. In other news, the so-called “rebel” free-speech site Rumble is now going to censor, right after Trump announced he would use the platform. Ha, I knew it. Rumble is nothing but a honeypot to draw Trumpists away from Twitter. I watched Rumble for a few weeks until I caught on something was off kilter.
           Bill Gates has gone on record, admitting that he is beginning to suspect people don’t like him very much. He insists he is merely being “misunderstood”. Spotty news out of China as some experts declare the communist economy is tottering. The regime has certainly run out of steam and resorted to ever more propaganda, like Moon landings and fusion reactors, those two ancient Chinese concerns that have nothing to do with industrial espionage.

Picture of the day.
Inside the Aesop Store.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           That gave me a half day off to rake the yard, spread some fertilizer, install some rafter hangers, make one of the cable spools into a small table, monthly routine on the chain saw, do some digging and hoe the weeds, run the van through the wash, and decide I need the entire rest of the day off to relax, maybe read or watch documentaries. I watered all the yard plants since it has not rained this week and took down the swing planter for repairs. And cleaned the spare bird feeders, and my reward was disappointment. You see, I always keep my mismatched socks and this time I had a drawer full. I found around twenty missing singles when moving stuff into the shed, only to discover I’ve lost the batch I was saving. Grrr.
           Give me a good book, Friday is my day off. I read another intense chapter of “One Long Argument” which pointed out that Darwinism is really an amalgamation of five existing theories, each of which had glaring shortcomings that were addressed by Darwin. What’s more, he had the common sense to admit he did not have all the answers and went on record that he knew his own theory had gaps. For example, he did not understand the genetic mechanisms that caused variations in species, but was completely knowledgeable enough to describe how it worked.

ADDENDUM
           Actually, it is a good question what are those prongs hanging in pairs off the sides of aircraft carriers? The question is validated because you never see them in any other orientation. I’ve encountered people who thought they were cranes or guns despite the fact they are obviously drooping. They are high gain high frequency radio antennas that are folded down during flight operations.
           The western press loves snarky comments on how “military minded” the Germans are, but do you know the population that has the highest potential? You’ll never guess but I’ll give you a hint. When tested during induction, the volunteers showed officer material for a force “five times the size of their existing military”. It may also explain why their soldiers generally outperformed every other in the world and impressed the Germans, who followed their every move. It was the Australians.

           Next, I watched a documentary on how wooden ships were copper plated to resist sea worms. It seems the early Japanese navy did not do this, no explanation. But they did offer to explain why Pearl Harbor was Japan’s biggest mistake. Well because they are stupid, that’s why. When the next video was an expensive government study that showed the reason American children are fat. Because they eat too much, duh. I no longer watch youTube unless I find specific topics.
           Changing the subject, I cannot recommend the book, “One Long Argument” for casual reading. It can get intense and I admit to getting some of the terminology by context. Especially phrases which are hard to look up. I now think part of the massive religious opposition to Darwin was because his theories did not require long-winded explanations to grasp. Hybrids aside, the best test of separate species is that they cannot interbreed. The other theories of species use criteria that don’t address this principle of “interspecies repugnancy”.

           I’m reading the chapter on the related topic of how species arise. I agree that long separation and adaptation are the likely reason. Since extinction occurs continually, so must the creation of new species. Further, I believe in the principle that wherever there is a food source, a species will evolve to consume it. Mostly I’m enjoying how Darwin’s conclusions allow for gaps, missing links, and biological dead ends. Why? Because that flexibility is what infuriates his detractors and I gotta love that.
           Another aspect of the people who hate Darwin that amuses is me is how they say if you doubt God, just look around you. Well, people, the rovers on Mars are seeing much the same scenery as New Mexico. If there can be a desert on a planet next door, there can be an Eden anywhere in the universe. As for the claim of man’s “perfection”, evolution shows there is no such thing because there is no perfect environment. The book is good reading but not easy reading.

Last Laugh