Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, February 11, 2022

February 11, 2022.

Yesteryear
One year ago today: February 11, 2021, they won’t take cash.
Five years ago today: February 11, 2017, haulin’ lumber.
Nine years ago today: February 11, 2013, Detroit has always sucked.
Random years ago today: February 11, 2009, called a Pithoui.

           Fun. (And today's entry is from calendar notes, you may spot the choppy style.) Good thing it’s a great day, I went through the woods with the doggies and my hatchet. We now have two more comfortable paths. Things went downhill from here. We drove both vehicles out to the mechanic and dropped off the Kia. Allow me to clarify, we now both have Kias but mine is van. The diagnosis is her car threw a rod. I had no clue what the smoke from the oil port meant except it should not have been there. There’s a slim chance the motor is still under warranty, but even if it they replace it,, I’ve advised her to get rid of it fast.
           You know it, we did not need this piece of news just now. I know cars that ran with a bad rod until they sounded like tractors, but the Reb would worry. Which is not allowed on my watch. We left the Kia at the dealership for diagnostics and I drove us to Trader Vic’s for a long shop My concern is she gets stuck with a blown motor. And oh snap, I have to be back in Miami long before this can be resolved. Repair is out of the question.

           Ha-ha, I remember the obvious joke from 2019 about “did he buy you a new car?”. That was a perfectly logical question, just from a different era. I say the humor iremains valid. No, I did not buy the Reb a new car, I enabled her to transition to something better without involving the corrupt credit system. Credit is one of those things you can’t make friends without making enemies. We know who the hell is behind that.
           This morning’s pic is the gnomon in front of the Ashland City courthouse. You eagle-eyed types will notice the sundial is not on daylight savings time. We may have a gig on Sunday, somewhere out near Cookesville. It’s an hour’s drive and while a motor with a bad rod can run for another year sometimes, when it goes, you are stranded. I like hese artsy music shows but I can’t say I’d attend many on my own. Beads and dreamcatchers are so 1960s.

Picture of the day.
Good exercise.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The small Kia has got to go. She’s taking it in on the 28th, the first available slot, to see if that issue is covered. I’ve advised her tohave another vehicle lined up in advance. I found a Honda Civic, it’s one of those compacts that over time grew into a mid-size car. She’l have to check it out and test drive while I’m gone. It was abandoned after a bumper repair at the mechanic’s shop with only 92,000 miles. He’ll need a couple weeks to get title and he will do all her oil changes and maintenance for a couple years. I’ll be out of town, but I’ll return if I have to, the Reb has too much on her plate just now to worry about wheels and I have the price down $6,000 below book value.
           Here’w the Reb at Trader Vics. It’s a good thing I don’t mind shopping. We took my van around for the remainder of the day. The plan is to run her car with the knocking noise but keep checking the oil. Toward that end, I stopped at Wal*Mart and grabbed her eight quarts. The larger containers are heavy and it is hard to tell when you’ve added a fixed amount. If I didn’t say, the dipstick showed a measurable drop in level just since last evening and we only drove to Nashville and back.

           Yes, that worries me. I’ve gone over the oil procedure with her but like me, other warning signs can easily get overlooked. I only mention it because it is uncommon, but my vehicles are set to play audio books instead of the radio. I’m always surprised with other people like that, and Reb is a real fan of this listening. We drove for an hour extra just to find out who becomes the next suspect on the “Blue Rose” list. One thing about these “series” audio books is you can start listening at any point and follow the plot. They have so many characters and sub-plots you don’t need to start at the beginning.
           It’s true, Biden is handing out free crack pipes in a disgustingly obvious bid for the black vote as Democrat rating continue to tank. He is appointing totally unqualified people to topo government positions, a tactic that worked in the past but has gone overboard. The new head of the energy department is a queer who brags about walking his boyfriends like pet dogs. The US Army now spends $8 billion a year on recruitment, and one more bit of trivia: Gizmodo says hackers are framing people for crimes they did not commit. Makes sense because you can’t frame them for crimes they did commit.

Last Laugh