Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

February 9, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: February 9, 2021, each with a single curl.
Five years ago today: February 9, 2017, on Bombardier tracks.
Nine years ago today: February 9, 2013, blocks of ice, ha-ha.
Random years ago today: February 9, 2003, the picture is 1983.

           One look at the lineup at the DMV and I was off to the park with the doggies. We took an hour’s walk in the morning sunshine and a drive through the area north of Mt. Juliet. That was most of the day. Except I ran some numbers on a property the Reb found in Ashland City. There are a number of demographic factors that would have to be overcome, like getting a mortgage that is technically past both our retirement dates, but we have the 20% downpayment, which changes a lot. I’ll tell you why that is.
           Banks know a lot of couple borrow that downpayment and that is where the trouble starts. On the other hand, I can show I’ve had the money sitting idle for years waiting for a deal. It would also need some fast talking, but the money is solid and that has some sway. The mortgage payment would be $1200 per month, very doable from our unofficial state of affairs. Convincing a bank is another matter. It’s an interesting exercise to know the numbers in advance. I would, of course, aim at drastically paying down the principle rapidly over the first three years. To me, drastic would mean, oh, $30,000.

           There’s Chooks, wanting attention. He’s around 8 years old and still carries a lot of anxieties that show through. He gets constant attention now, which he plainly revels in but it seems he’s considers it temporary. I know that’s reading much into the situation but when you neet this dog it is a convenient explanation for a few things. This is is fourth home and he’s aware he’s in a comfort zone but sometimes he doesn’t believe it.
           Here’s an item. One of the major levers for control is the government-operated teams that claim to protect child welfare. They have the same in Canada and it is being used to confront parents whose children accompanied them to the trucker’s protest. My advice is they had best back of from trying to say the children are not being cared for. That would be a typical tactic of the far left. I saw a video of a confrontation with a truck driver who told the CBC reporters of by pointing out they were asking loaded questions that implied danger to his children. It was fun watching the CBC duck the questions.

Picture of the day.
Claypit Pond, MA.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           What a jam-tart, but I’m heading back soon as I can. My winter clothes did not stop the biting cold, it’s as bad as I want to remember. I can deal with it but I don’t want to. Everything here is shipshape and I can’t say the same for my place. I have a shed and laundry deck to finish and the Reb is doing remarkably well. Having said that, there is a gap between our computer usage that shows a consistent distance, it’s that “wired” generation. I’ll repeat it for you, unless you want more griping about the freezing climate.
           It’s not a generational difference, but an exposure thing. People who did not get into computers until late in the game have an attitude. They do not recognize that using apps all day isn’t the same as being computer-literate. This becomes obvious a lot of time (in my situation) when people watch me create a spreadsheet. Themselves, they could do it if they had to, one supposes, but I have the seen the mess they make of it.

           Where I see the biggest influence is apps. I use programs, they use apps. When they believe they are working, it is really using an app that produces something they want in a few minutes. I’ve indicated before how the few times they are on a single task more than tmaybe ten minutes is when they are playing a game, watching a movie, or on something like a webinar. They have no concept of others doing real work for long stretches. It’s not their fault because it represents in most instances 100% of their exposure to computer usage.

           So what is the impact? Same as always, people treat me as if I’m doing as much of nothing as they are when they see me use a computer for a long stretch. There is no recognition, for example, that this blog could take up to forty minutes for a single production. The pictures, links, and format can require half that, yet after ten or so minutes, I’m treated like I’m killing time. It never bothers me with the Reb, because I know her motives. The dogs need walking and the leaves need raking. But how it irks me when people like Theresa would do it. There, I said it.
           I don’t know if that’s clear. When Gen XYZ use computers, it appears to me they do so in a chid-like manner and due to that, they do nor or cannot recognize other work when they see it . I’ve had millennial types see me create a spreadsheet from scratch still ask where I got that app. Or where I downloaded the template for this blog. Even when shown how it works, they would still rather not do it that way, but instead go looking for an app that produces what they assume is an accurate result. It is only an assumption. And another airliner disappears.

           The raw look of this blog ready for publication, to the few who’ve seen it, consistently draws comments that there is an easier way. There is, but I don’t use any for that reason. Example, the title of each blog is the date spelled out longhand. Why, they ask, do I do that when the blog automatically places the date? Or why do I place al the indents without using CSS, or why do I paste in my own borders and edges around pictures? The answer is experience. If you trust Google to place the date, you have a lot more faith in them not to arbitrarily change that format that I do. It transpires the only way to locate former blogs with any consistency is the date which I typed into the header field myself.
           And don’t get me started on how many times Google screwed up CSS, indents, and picture frames. The consistency of this blog appearance is no thanks to Google whatsoever. Even the few background features that remain were there before they bought out the company.

ADDENDUM
           Going cashless is not about money, it is about tracking spending. Electronic money is not cash, it is tokens. Tokens have an expiry date, usually 30 days. That means if you are paid in tokens, you can be required to spend the tokens or their value drops to zero. You cannot save or invest tokens except a government-approved locations.

Last Laugh